Left side Sharp pain - Need your input/suggestion to narrow down an cause

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am having Sharp Pain in Left Upper Abdomen (towards the side of the body), the Pain occurs almost same location as side stitch , Pain occurs almost 5-6 times a day and pain stays for 1-2 minutes and for few days, pain doesn't appear.

In past 6 month back, I was treated for Antral Gastritis for H.Pyroli and I did take recent test for same , which came Negative.

My stool is normal but at times it smells.

I went to GI recently, where he thinks it is related to Stomach muscle, even though I have stopped my excercise routine for almost 5 weeks, still I have pain and I am disagreeing to GI opinion.

Pain Location looks like Splenic Flexure location, but I am not sure whether symptoms of mine is related to Splenic Flexure/IBS or something else...I am lost trying to find answer in google search.

Another thing, whenever I have these Sharp shooting pain, I do have Yogurt for next 2 days for all 3 times of food and pain subdues (not sure what is the connection which is helping me).

Anybody experienced this kind of symptoms.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I also am reluctant to take drugs i have read that it is not necessary to continue with antibiotics if they upset your stomach i have stopped taking them halfway through course and have had no ill effects i think gps are reluctant to recommend any thing alternative i think its obvious why !!!!

• Posted

but what were they for? if used correctly antibiotics can really help. if you stop halfway through a course your infection or whatever you have been treated for may come back twice as strong. i'd ring 111 and say you've accidentally forgotten you last dose what do you do?

• Posted

Left side Sharp pain is usually caused by indigestion, especially if you have recently eaten food that is not easy to digest. But angina, or mild heart attack can also cause left side sharp pain.

• Posted

Today ,I wrote to GI doc again explaining that sharp pain(left upper quadrant abdominal) reoccurs after my last visit to his office, he is on opinion that it is not related to the gastrointestinal tract & Doc is on opinion that it has to do with musculoskeletal and suggested to talk to primary care doc.

I have scheduled appointment with my primary care Doc again to understand the cause, however I have not done any other test apart from stool analysis for H.pylori and also GI doc is telling that at this loc, we don't have any specific organ.

Attaching my exact pain location image, your opinion & experience matters while I'm still on investigation mode.

-Does this location relates to any Gastro related issue since I have normal bowel movement

-If musculoskeleton issue, does pain be on/off for few days and also its sharp pain. Any body experienced musculoskeleton pain.image

• Posted

Hello-

Any tenderness in your ribs? This type of pain can, also, be caused by a rib being out of place. Possibly try a chiropractor.

• Posted

If you have a rib injury, it is better to leave it to heal on its own. Chiropractors can do a lot of damage.

• Posted

If you have been in an accident of some kind (automobile, sport, fall, etc) and you know you have an injury due to something youve done, I wholeheartedly agree. A rib injury is different than a misaligned rib. I recently had a rib out of place (not broke or injured) that was causing sharp pains and tenderness in to my left side and abdomen. Probably due to my poor posture and desk work. Went to a chiropractor and he took x-rays first. After an adjustment to my back and ribs, it was much better. If you have an experienced, knowledgeable chiropractor, it shouldn't cause harm.

• Posted

Pippa/Charcey, I didn't hurt/injury at this location, last few months- I am in process of loosing weight and I did loose weight 11 lbs in last 10 months. Recently while I was doing my Functional work , from 2-3 days onwards I had severe sharp pain at that location and I stopped doing any work-out last 5 weeks thinking it could aggravate further since I didn't know the cause, However they are days I have little pain and at times 5-6 times sharp pain per day.

Unable to understand the cause of the pain ,

IBS/Splenic Flexure/musculoskeletal /Colon related

I did recently read another forum (https://patient.info/forums/discuss/splenic-flexure-pain-556714?page=1#topic-replies![image](https://patient.azureedge.net/forums/images/upload-sm/1254653-636990117461883510.jpg) and did find some one resolved their pain issue with Osetopath....think worth a try.

message posted from other forum for similar side pain issue**.

solaralex

Posted 4 months ago

Hello everyone, I'm back to say I have got to the bottom of my problem. After all the tests showed no organic changes to my internal organs I finally went to see an osteopath and found out I have a muscular problem in my diaphragm and the deeper muscles in that area. After he released them my pain is practically gone. It's the same in my back, on the left side, right opposite - intercostal muscular problem. I should have gone to see him in the first place, would have saved myself a lot of tests and CT scan radiation plus the contrast dye injection which I'm sure is not good for the body. Hindsight.. Anyway, perhaps it will help someone. It really didn't feel like it was the muscles, yet it was.

• Posted

The pain is just after last small rib, yes it does have some soreness when I have pain 5-6 times in a day.

Soreness gets reduced based on number of times pain is reduced.

• Posted

@charcey97

Did you pain due to misalignment of ribs was ON/OFF or pain was consistent through out the day as such even mine is desk work.

• Posted

Chiropractors caused me horrific harm for nine months. I had a huge adverse reaction which led to IBS!At least 50% of people get side effects and there is very little evidence that it is effective. I was supposed to six treatments but only managed to struggle through three. There is no such thing as a safe chiropractor; it is a dangerous treatment. Doctors recommend that you leave rib problems well alone to heal on their own.

• Posted

Oh, no, pippa! I am so sorry to hear that this is been your experience with chiropractors. Personally, I’ve had great experiences with chiropractors and they have helped me a great deal. I can say the same for many people I know. I think everyone should use their own discretion on what might work for them personally. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but it has worked well for me and many others. The poster was asking for individual input or suggestions. I'm sure he's smart enough to do his own research and choose what works for him. Best of luck to you, Steve!

• Posted

I'm very bony and don't have enough muscle strength to absorb all the vigorous thrusting chiropractors do. I wasn't warned adequately about all the side effects; I was only told about the mild ones, not the worst reactions. I was given deep tissue massage to help with the pain and I had a huge reaction to that too. Once again I was not told about adverse reactions. They probably don't tell patients about the huge risks they are taking otherwise they won't get their money!The issue for me was violation of trust between patient and practitioner so I got my money back.

• Posted

Such a Amazing forum to have such interaction and sharing one own's personal experience..definitely it's a lamppost in a dark street to navigate to the direction of healing the disease. As such , at times, we use elimination approach to understand the solve an issue (if not this what else). I appreciate all your feedback taking cue to my symptoms and also be watchful on the pitfalls on the way . Nobody wants to go thru unfortunate experience but life gives both.

Thank You guys....will keep updating on the way of my experience.

• Posted

Had my Primary Doctor check my symptoms and Pain and she also reviewed what GI doctor had opinion early, she also suspect it could be related to musculoskeletal about suggested to heal on its own for next 2-3 weeks, if pain recoocurs than she suggested we can go for CT scan and recommended to do radiation only when required since radiation has its own side effect as well.

Defering chiropatric option at the moment,if it could heal on its own but will have possibility to try later point when pain reoccurs , try for chiro before CT scan.

I will keep my food dairy and not strain my musculoskeletal for next 2-3 weeks..lets see how it goes...will keep you posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.