Left Side Throat Issues for 4 Months

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hiya smile

I'll do my best to keep this short while providing as much detail as possible to ensure people can accurately assist me or chip in with their similar experiences.

Anyway! I have an issue with my throat where it feels as though there's something stuck about an inch around to the left hand side of the centre of my Adams apple. The issue has always been here, doesn't move and doesn't really go away.

The best I can describe the issue is that it feels as though I've got a constant build of phlegm sitting on top of a scratch. By this I mean that during the day I can feel phlegm in this area and doing a throat clear produces phlegm and alleviates the "fullness" feeling but sometimes I feel a sharp scratching, tingling feeling in the area where the phlegm is/was.

I have this feeling all day, every day and have had it for about 4 months. It's the same today as it was when I randomly woke up with it 4 months ago. I generally feel fine when I wake up and the issue starts within 5 mins of me sitting up in bed. It's not "globus" before anyone says it, this is a VERY specific areas with very specific, none generalised feelings.

I've had 2 separate, private ENTs do 2 scopes down my throat along with 2 doctors who have done some general checks and tests and I've also had an ultrasound, results are:

ENT 1: Said all looked fine, could be related to my tonsil removal I had 5 years or so ago even though my feeling now is about 3 inches below my tonsils. He gave this verdict after both cameras and reviewing the (clear) ultrasound results. He advised I could try PPIs as acid reflux could be agitating my throat. I tried them for a few months, nothing changed.

ENT 2: Said that he saw the mucus/phlegm sitting at the base of my tongue, exactly where my feeling is, he said that some lower tonsils seemed a little inflamed and said I should use some antiseptic throat spray which I used for about a month and nothing changed.

Doc 1: Said that it sounds a lot like Post Nasal Drip and advised I try antihistamines for a while to see if they help...They didn't.

Doc 2: Said that it's all very odd but could be congestion and said after examining my ears that all looked a little inflamed and asked me if I sometimes get a fullness feeling in my ears/head which I do. They did a throat swab to check for a viral infection and told me to try using some steroid nasal spray, this was only a few days ago so still using the spray and waiting for the results.

I’ll add that I have no real pain beyond the occasional scratching feeling/tingling and have no issues breathing or swallowing.

I know this is a long post but I'm getting desperate here as no one seems to know what's wrong! Anyone got any input?

Thanks

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I do feel acid but not very often. But if it was bad i think doc would have seen something bad. Maybe part of getting older!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.