Leg weakness/limp toe

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 30 years old and have been having some symptoms for a few months which are beginning to worry me. I haven't really spoken to anyone about it and it's all a bit scary, so I'd appreciate any input.

This all started in January when I noticed a tremor in my hands. It appeared strongest in my right hand and my little finger, which would flicker side to side when I held it out in front of me. The movement would stop whenever used the hand for example to hold my phone. I saw a GP about this who did some strength tests and felt that it wasn't anything to worry about/could be anxiety related. This still persists, although it does get better/worse over time and I've felt that might be stress related.

In the more recent few months I've been having problems with my left leg/foot/ankle. I first started to notice that I was walking more on the side of my foot. Over time I have realised that this foot is doing less of the work when I walk. Specifically it seems to be contributing less when I push off from the ball of my foot. Whereas my right foot lands on the heel, flattens out and then moves back pushing off from the toes, my left foot just isn't completing that last part of the movement. A couple of months ago, I realised that my second toe on my left foot (the one next to my big toe) is limp. If I press my other toes back towards the sole of my foot, they spring back into place, but this one toe stays in the manipulated position. When I walk it seems to buckle at the end joint and will sometimes slide so that it ends up under the third toe. I haven't injured this toe at any point and it isn't numb. Since noticing this change, I have begun to get pain in my big toe when I walk. It feels like there is strain leading back from the big toe underneath the foot. Whereas I can still walk for the distances and at a similar speed I used to, this doesn't feel as easy. The only way I can describe it is that it doesn't feel as natural and fluid as it has before.

I can still stand on my tip toes and heels and move from one to the other. However, I have noticed that my body seems to naturally trust this foot less. If I walk down a train, I'll find myself steadying myself when I step on this foot. I have also been experiencing a cold sensation from the thigh down to the foot. This happens particularly when I'm sat in an office chair. I've noticed that the edge of the chair creates a pressure point under the thigh of my left leg and it feels as though the cold sensation eminates from this point downwards. It feels as though there is less meat between the chair and the bone on this leg.

I realise that this is a lot and that these sensations are difficult to explain. I just have an overall feeling of weakness in this leg. For months now I've been trying to rationalise these symptoms and put them down to injury or stress. But I'm beginning to worry that I might have a real problem here. I haven't been able to speak to anyone about this, so really any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics, Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, etc. are broad-spectrum antibiotics  that can cause problems at the time or much later with tendons and lower legs in particular.
  • Posted

Richard,

Your symptoms are not familiar to me, but if I were you I would make an appointment with a neurologist.  I know what you mean when you say the sensations you feel are difficult to explain, most of my symptoms are neurological and are very difficult to explain.   I wish you the best.

Darlene

• Posted

If he is in the UK the NHS wait to see a neurologist is usually about six months. Then add blood tests and nerve conduction tests and a follow up appointment and you are at nine months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.