Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Is there anyone out there who has had or is having THR due to the effects of Perthes ?

I would like to know their experience of the disease and also wether once we have had our hips replaced wether we are exactly the same as any other THR patient or if the disease creates further problems for us.

First THR on 24th Feb - Occ health came to assess the house today - its all starting to get a bit real now !!!!!

Cheers Paul

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Paul,

I had a right THR 12 years ago. Due to perthes as a child. Once replaced, no issues, just the same as everyone else. 6 weeks ago had a hip revision. Going OK, but no complications from the original perthes damage. Only had perthes in one hip!

• Posted

Thanks John - hope the recovery from the revision is going ok. It was something that hadnt occurred to me before so hadnt asked the consultant  - so thanks for that. What does a revision entail? a whole new joint or just parts of it ? Hope you dont mind me asking

Cheers Paul

• Posted

Just some new parts fortunately, a new femoral head and a reline of the acetubulem.

If your young, uncemented is probably better. Better outcomes if a 2nd full replacement is needed.

• Posted

Good news on your revision - I dont fancy having the stem replaced much, though I know it will happen one day.

Uncemented polar stem is the plan though I didnt know about anterior or posterior approach so didnt ask - is it likely to be posterior do you think ?

• Posted

Hi, I had Perthes in my right hip, but it was my left hip that was replaced in May 2015, go figure.....
    • Posted

Hmmm interesting- I now now why I always had back problems, Once the hips reached their limted range of movement the back had to take over doing the bending.

Any plans for doing the perthes side ? Or is it doing fine ?

• Posted

I think we all have too eventually...not soon I hope, but my back has always been my biggest problem, degenerative disc disease, and 3 herniations....no surgery on that yet...
  • Posted

I had anterior uncemented, age is sometimes a factor...I was 53 when I had it done.
  • Posted

No I'm in Michigan USA....

• Posted

So that would support what I read I think - so I can probably expect to have the posterior approach. I am kind of stuck with what I get as I doubt the surgeon will give me a choice - he probably does what he is trained for.
    • Posted

I'm sure you'll be fine, my THR was brilliant, all those years of pain and limping were gone. My perthes leg was shorter. The surgeon lengthened it, to remove my limp.

Good luck, the other side will be better!

• Posted

By the way Loral, thank you for your messages and I hope you are doing well
    • Posted

My hip is fine, sometimes a bit of bursitis flare up, but I can pretty much do anything I want...Thanks for asking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.