Less Thyroid Supplement as you Age?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on a relatively high dose (275) for many years and felt fine.  Now suffering tiredness, palpitations and other possible symptoms of hyperthyroidism.  My doctor is reducing the dosage. My question is:. Is it likely that I do indeed need a lower dose as I age, and will suffer from hyperthyroid symptoms if the dose is notreduced? I am now age 73.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

When I was taking Levrothyroxine my GP at that time reduced my dose saying that as you get older you do not need as much, but I have to wonder if as you get older that you cannot easily convert the T4 into T3 which is the working hormone. What I found when I stopped taking T4 was that at first I was fine, but when my GP did thyroid tests they had worsened and was told if I did not start back on the T4 that I would get old. My reply was that I felt old anyway.  I am wondering now if the adrenal glands are the cause of my irregular heart rate. My present GP does say that ones thyroid can alter. I am taking NDT which Doctors will not prescribe.
  • Posted

I've heard this from somewhere else as well. If you are having palpitations it sounds like you might be on too high a dose. My preference in your situation would be to reduce the dose by a quarter of a 25mcg tablet every 2-3 days until the desired lower dose is reached. This will minimise the withdrawal symptoms. I think its something to do with metabolism slowing as one ages.
  • Posted

Well Dave, logically it makes sense but when my Endo tried to move me from 125mcg Levo down to 100mcg it nearly killed me! I was hypo on 125 but, because of those useless T4/TSH blood tests she said I was hypER, I wasn't , I was hypO at cell level. But it is no good telling your doctor that, they only know what they see in those two blood test results. Get your T3 measured, that is the hormone which gives you the feeling of well being, T4 is just the "storage" or "source material". Like me you may be a "feeble" T4 to T3 converter so you need a walloping dose of T4 to produce the T3 that you need, and hence 275mcg, although that sounds very high, may have been what you need to produce your necessary T3 level. That was my problem.
    • Posted

I too would urge you to get tested for T3 (needs to be done at same time as T4 and TSH so you can see the levels of all three at the same time). In range TSH & T4 and low T3 would indicate you have a problem converting T4 to T3. This can still be true if T3 is in range - the relative position of each result within its range is important. For example, if TSH and T4 are both mid-range and T3 is low in its range, this indicates a conversion problem.
    • Posted

Trouble is LAHs, this is the approach I took (I had to, just to function) and it was keeping T4 at top of range and TSH suppressed that led to my immune system going haywire and becoming intolerant to loads of foods. Not somethig I would wish on anyone. I had numerous endocrinologists over the last 20 years and not one of them spotted I had a conversion problem.
    • Posted

Switching to NDT seems to be fixing this conversion problem.
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, I never realized that the relative position of each result within its range is important. So If my FT3 is 5 (range 3.1 to 7), which is mid way,  my FT4 is 19.4 (11.5 - 22.7), which is at the higher end, and my TSH is .1 (.3 - 5.5), then I am not converting enought T4 to T3, have I got that right?
    • Posted

Hi Barbara, Yes, I agree with all of your observations. I did in fact switch to NDT and it supplied the T3 so I am pretty much normal now. I am still interested, however, the process which is stopping T4 to T3 conversion (if only because T3 has a short half life around 8 hours if not less, so after that you go sleepy).

And don't forget people: If NDT is good enough for Hillary C, it's good enough for us! Don't let them give you that Levo junk.

• Posted

Hi scazzoh, yes I would say you'd got it spot on. This is something I worked out for myself - I've never read it anywhere, however it became obvious with my results: TSH and T4 mid range, T3 low and below range. (I never knew 'A' level maths with statistics would come to be so useful -only took 35 years!) I'm going to PM you a link that has 3, free chapters of a book. I think you'll find the chapters invaluable.
    • Posted

Particularly the chapter on metabolic rehabilitation. Or in layman's terms 'how to give your body the kickstart it needs!'
    • Posted

Hi scazzoh, with that low a T3 result, I expect you're feeling pretty grotty aren't you? What is your GP/Endo doing about it? You may have gathered by now that I'm as evangelical about NDT as a reformed smoker is about not smoking? I've been feeling grotty for 20 years and have developed loads of allergies and intolerances, either because of high T4 that wasn't being used, or low T3 (there is an ongoing debate about which one, though thinking about it, it could be both). Contact me if you want details of how to get NDT without a prescription.
    • Posted

Hey Barbara, how DO you get NDT without a prescription? I have to travel 200 miles to see my Dr. who prescibes it. PM me if that is the only way to do it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.