Lesson Learned about Sugar

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies, learned a BIG lesson today. I have not had any ice cream for 2 or 3 months. Anyway, today I was craving some chocolate ice cream, I had a scoop. Well, 3 hours later, my breast and chest started HURTING and even burning and swelling. I also felt super dry mouth and really thirsty, my blood sugars went up really high.  I feel really angry that I cannot even have a small treat of ice cream, its so unfair and I know I sound like a little kid and there are foods that are tasty and good too, it seems unfair that our bodies have done this to us before menopause even with my diabetes I could have an occassional treat, but since menopause I cannot even have an occassional treat as it relates to a small candy bar or a brownie. I dont want to go overboard but now and then. I see where a lot of ladies say menopause and peri screw your blood sugars up and my doctor told me the same thing. So, thats the end of ice cream. Damm/

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

well lennie you got me thinking about sugar !! im off the hrt 6wks ,and i feel like eating the fridge i was eating less while on hrt ! anyone got a hrt diet ?? god not only are my hormones gone my gob has got bigger!!!!
    • Posted

Sugar is very problematic for me, I don't know about anyone else but it leads to serious problems for me, pain, joint swelling, and yeast infections.  Its literally a dangerous drug for me. 
    • Posted

yes lennie thats me in a nut shell !!!! .its got to go but its a hard to do
  • Posted

I have noticed similar reaction to certain type of food like sugar at different time of my cycle. Basically better not to have sugar, wine, some type of fruits, certain process food, coffee, for me also garlic and fried food. As I've noticed pattern and sometimes it is better than others, it worries me less. I kept asking doctor to run tests for diabetes and arthritis but they were coming back clear. When I asked if it could be related to hormones she looked at me as I was crazy and asked if I needed counselling for anxiety. It's frustrating.
    • Posted

god thats terrible, they are so annoying arent they drs!! your doing right with keeping off what you are doing, you can re introduce things a little once your hormoneas have settled, but eating less sugar is better for us anyway, doesnt harm on a special occasion though, especially the wine. 
  • Posted

I've noticed that if I eat too much sugar at certain times of my cycle, my groin will itch terribly and I have to use a cream to soothe it. I have Type 2 Diabetes and shouldn't have too much sugar anyway but the itching definitely increases on certain days. You'd think after decades of knowing sugar can affect us like it us, that they'd have invented something better than sweeteners so we could enjoy some things without the side effects. I hope you can get this sorted and finally be able to have a little treat occasionally.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.