Let's add to the 66 perimeno symptoms list..

Posted , 84 users are following.

Hi All,

I want to compile a new list of all the symptoms we have experienced that aren't on the 66 listed. If you could take a minute to write yours, that would be great. I'd really like to get these lists to all of our doctors out there, so hope when we are finished you will too..

My latest is burning foot, just one foot

Also noticed anxiety and depression did not make the list

Sensitivity to drugs

Frozen shoulder (aka menopausal or 50's shoulder)

Pain in upper back near shoulder blade

Trouble breathing (beyond shortness of breath, can't get a deep breath in)

High heart rate (even with low blood pressure)

Burning facial and upper body skin without sweating

sore, dry throat

13 likes, 178 replies

178 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have all of the above.

Painful weak legs.

Trouble swallowing

• Posted

i've had a sore shoulder when trying to lift my arm foe a few months and you have now made me think it could be to do with the menopause.

• Posted

Me too. My left one. How could this be menopause related though I wonder...
    • Posted

it makes you wonder whats going on inside our bodies. i hadn't had a period for 8 months then monday Bam and still bleeding does this mean i have to start counting my 12 months again? sad

• Posted

Yes, the wonderful menopausal shoulder! In fact, in Japan it's the number one symptom for women in peri. They call it 50s shoulder. They don't even get hot flashes. 

It usually starts in your non dominant shoulder BTW. I know men can get it, but usually it's women inbetween the ages of 40 - 60. Somehow it's hormonal related. I think maybe since estrogen is the lube of the body, when it starts dropping that's why joints start aching, etc. I don't know though, because I'm supposedly estrogen dominant, but I am def suffering with frozen shoulder. And It feels like it's starting in my left shoulder now too. Ugh.

• Posted

Yes Anne, you have to start counting your 12 months again. The same thing happened to me. I had gone without a period for 8 months and then bam! I had a period for the next four months or so. It's crazy!

• Posted

Oh man! I had a run of a few days recently where my right shoulder had a burning ache so bad that I was pacing around because I couldn't sit still with it! It hurt horribly! Then it suddenly felt completely better. I hadn't done anything to injure it so I thought maybe I'd slept on it weird. But it didn't get better gradually like what my mom calls a "crick in the neck"- when you sleep in a weird position & wake up unable to turn your head all the way because of pain...it was just suddenly better. Reading through what you guys have had happen makes me add that experience to my list of weird menopause symptoms.

• Posted

I just wrote this to Anne. Copy and pasting to you because of time constraints: Oh man! I had a run of a few days recently where my right shoulder had a burning ache so bad that I was pacing around because I couldn't sit still with it! It hurt horribly! Then it suddenly felt completely better. I hadn't done anything to injure it so I thought maybe I'd slept on it weird. But it didn't get better gradually like what my mom calls a "crick in the neck"- when you sleep in a weird position & wake up unable to turn your head all the way because of pain...it was just suddenly better. Reading through what you guys have had happen makes me add that experience to my list of weird menopause symptoms.

• Posted

Oh the sore shoulder! Drives me 😠 mad! Have used Magnesium gel helps a bit xx

• Posted

I am having shoulder issues too. Left as well, muscle in that upper arm is also tight. these crazy symptoms are never ending!

• Edited

Hi Suzanne

What a brilliant idea. 

My symptoms seem to differ everyday!!  I started last year with anxiety and ended up with 5 weeks off work and am now on Setraline and HRT!!  I know this was hormone related as we all know our own bodies however getting doctors to agree is a different story even though my doctor is a 50something year old lady!!  I suppose if you are one of the lucky ones who sails through meno withiout any problems it's hard to relate to someone who isnt so lucky!!  Anyway my saviour has been this forum so thank you all ladies you keep me going.

Anyway my anxiety is mostly under control now due to the medication.  I was dead set against going on ADs but in the end I had to as I need to work and was finding I was having constant panic attacks and feeling terrible.  I went on HRT at the same time so now unfortunately dont know which is helping the most but I will just stay on both for a while until I feel really strong again.

Most days now I feel OK but sometimes (especially in a morning) I get like a low blood sugar feeling even though I always have breakfast.  I feel a bit jelly legged and a bit off balance for a while but then it seems to clear by mid morning.  I also get a little IBS although nothing major.        

I hope you do write a book Suzanne I really think information is severely lacking on this subject and doctors especially are not up to speed on our symptoms.  I also find through this forum that a lot of ladies suffer with the fuzzy head, brain fog and anxiety and yet whenever I see lists of symptoms these are always right at the bottom - making us feel like this is a very rare symptom which of course when you have anxiety makes you feel worse!!

Anyway thank you for your post Suzanne and good luck.

Have a great day ladies xx    

• Edited

I agree that anxiety should be high on that list, and it was completely left of the "66 symptoms" list. I never suffered anxiety before, but certainly do now. Wish you would've tried the hrt first to see if that would've calmed things down for you. But I understand. 

I think a whole book could be dedicated just to what doctor's tell us in regards to peri. It could definitely be a comedy or maybe a tear jerker! 

I had a woman cardiologist tell me that I need to have "mindfullness", um, OK, if only it were that easy! And my endocrinologist who insists that I'm nowhere near perimeno (I'm 52) and just patted me on my back after I had a total meltdown in his office. The GP, after running more blood tests, was so happy to tell me that there wasn't a thing wrong with me. And the GYN who (after prescribing birth control pills) just shook her head and commented to her student on the way out "some women just have a rough time with meno".  Not one doctor (except for my Chinese accupuncturist) related frozen shoulder to meno, nor did they know anything other than hot flashes and dry vagina. Nothing.. This really needs to be a book to hand out to physicians and it should be manditory that they read it!

• Posted

What dosage of Setraline are you on?  I just started (was on Paxil previously for 17 years....which was a life saver).  And suddenly, it quit working.  As of yet (16 days), I find little relief from Setraline.  Am on 150 mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.