Let's see if we can find a common trigger?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am wondering why some of us developed this and if there is a common trigger,if you care to share what you may believe had started your blepharitis. Mine started after some life changing news that caused me a great deal of stess and crying( weakened immune system). I wore a lot of eyemakeup constantly,and lastly,i stayed in a hotel that i felt wasnt the cleanest and allowed animals. So all those would be my triggers,if i had to guess! thank you and maybe we can see if there is a common denominater to our condition !

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, this has become a very interesting conversation. It seems that I should have added hypothyroidism to my list of underlying causes contributing to Blepharitis.

I also agree that allopathic medicine treats symptoms and diagnoses by a process of elimination. If their treatments don't solve the problem they often give up on the problem. Then it falls to us to be our own health advocates and look for solutions and underlying causes, which as we are learning here can be many.

• Posted

I have low grade hypothyroidism and may also have too much estrogen, going through menopause

I used a heavy makeup remover for years, which likely has Vasoline. I don't think I ever washed my eyes completely after using this goop. (oops)

I noticed my scalp had been real pink around the temple areas. When I touched the skin it felt warmer than usual. I thought it was related to the my increased inflammation.

But, recently, after reading that tea tree oil can help with Blepharitis, and that this disorder may be associated with mites, I put tea tree oil (and coconut oil) on my scalp, and the redness is fading. I've used it for about 3 weeks.

Also, the tea tree oil and coconut oil on my eyelids has helped a great deal.

• Posted

Whew!  Aren't you afraid to put that stuff so near your eyes?

I'd have to have an eye doc tell me it was okay to do so.

My brother-in-law is an eye doctor and told me to never put

vaseline near my eyes (eyelids etc) because it could get behind

the eyeball and cause a lot of problems.   Sight is precious

be careful what you do.......

• Posted

I've given up on it.  My eyes feel as if they're falling asleep all the time but I just itnore it and do absolutely nothing at all.  I never bathe them or put stuff on them - I just accept it.
    • Posted

My eyes get crusty and feel like I have stickers poking in them.

I can't stand it and have to do something.  I wash and clean but

the stuff comes back...For other readers of what I've posted

about Bleph......all the prednisone I've taken over the last three

years haven't helped Bleph at all....so don't hope that would be

an option.  Just had cataract surgery and they have me putting

predsolone drops in my eye for weeks.   it never ends.....

• Posted

dave,lol,if only that was all,i feel like i am burning and swelling on a daily basis,so i would love to just be able to not do anything and deal with it!   your strong ,i hope i get to that point smile
    • Posted

faye,your like me,i get scared,lol i asked my dr. he said vaseline on the swollen lids but gave me nothing other then just routine things. i made an appt.  with the best in the area so lets see what they do or what they come up with a cause.
    • Posted

I cannot imagine what Vaseline would do to help swollen

eyelids.....I would think cool compresses would be a better

option.  Have you tried any drops?   I order Optrex from the

UK, they don't cure anything but are very soothing.  

I really wish I had some wonderful advice for all the people

suffering from this awful business but since I've been looking

for help for about 25 years I just don't know of anything.

Eye docs (all of them) just tell you to soak and clean well but

that only helps me for a matter of hours and the crust is right

back.  Most of the time I feel like I have sand in my eyes.

• Posted

I actually don't think the docs know for sure what causes it.

I saw online there are three different causes......staph,

melbomian (or something like that, it's oil glands at base

of lashes) and I told you I'm old can't remember the third one

right now.  No eye doc ever told me a reason.  I think I heard

chronic inflammation.  I do occasionally have some itching

but family eye doctor told me to get something called

Zaditor (OTC) sure I'll get bumped with that recommendation.

It's for allergy eyes and it really helped.

• Posted

hit the wrong button...

I think if it were bacterial that I would be cured.  I had three rounds

of anti-biotics in Jan. Feb. for chest and sinus infection.  Had some

dental work done and got more anti-biotics in March.  Surely if

it were bacterial I would be CURED   I have read on these

posts the Tetracycline or UK Minocycline helps.  I think brother-

in-law that has Bleph said one time that he was on Tetracycline

at the time.  I guess if he uses it and he's an eye surgeon

it must help.  Ask for that......

• Posted

dont bump faye,she is awesome!!!!   smile thank you and we will see next monday what happens when i go to one of the best dr in the area!!!!  
    • Posted

Im going to let him just do his thing. I think in a way i diagnose and then i dont give them a chance to see,im not mentioning the bleph diagnosis from the other dr. till he confirms. Who knows,i could have anything in these eyes ,lol but i do agree,since i have every symptom.i will get answers ,i want to know about eyelash mites and staph and how the hell to rid myself of this,lol
    • Posted

I can't wait to hear results of your visit.  You're smart to not

say anything about Bleph and see what he says.   Post as soon

as you can I'll be waiting to see if he has any cures or at least

suggestions on how to live with this awful disease....

• Posted

Ok Susan I don't have the itching/inflamed kind of Blepharitis. Maybe it just hasn't progressed to that point yet or maybe it's a different kind??? Did you read all those posts started by Lynda saying her mother in law accidentally discovered a skin care product containing 0.3% Benzelthonium (sp) Chloride magically helped her Blepharitis? The skin care cream was discontinued so Lynda did some research and found Wet Ones have this same ingredient which is antibacterial. Anyway, now a bunch of people have been using Lynda's method with great success. She says to tear the Wet Ones into 4 pieces and using your fingertip, gently wipe the inside rim of your lids without touching the inside of your eye. Do this 2-3 times a day. Also, wipe your makeup utensils with the Wet Ones before applying to each eye and they recommend using disposable mascara wands you can buy online. If you do accidentally get some Wet Ones in your eye, use your eye drops. I've been using the Wet Ones (my acupuncturist said ok to do so) but haven't noticed a huge improvement like others report. Again, perhaps because I have different symptoms....just not sure. 

And yes, yes, sugar is the devil!  I eat low carb and go through cleanses often but always end up back in bed with that damn sugar! I always feel so much better when I'm off sugar. If only someone would invent a pill that makes you not want sugar! If feeds the candida big time and cancer and well....all inflammation!

To answer someone else's question about other possible alternative modalities....yes, there are certainly other avenues. The first alternative doc I saw 30 years ago was a Kinesiologist. He also used Homeopathy remedies. I think there are many ways to approach healing. A person needs to find which one feels right for them....follow their gut....it usually leads you where you need to be. 

• Posted

back in the bed with the sugar!!!!!!   lol its like a bad relationship!!!!   smile
    • Posted

im afraid with the wet ones,what if that gets in the eye? are they safe? 
    • Posted

I am also afraid of trying something not approved by my eye

doc......however I did try the Wet Ones briefly and my eyelid

got so dried out it felt like sandpaper and that effect made

me wonder about what would happen if it went in my eye

and stopped using them.  I hadn't seen any real difference but

probably not a long enough trial....some sufferers on this site

seemed to find great relief but like someone said maybe it

depends on what kind you have.

I said I read there are three types.....staph....melbomian..

and seborria (boy my spelling and these medical terms)

so maybe it will only work on one kind.  I did read that if

you have the melbomian (oil glands at the base of lashes)

that you should massage along lash line going down and outward

when you soak and clean to get oil moving in those glands.

Who knows if this will work.?  Just something I read but if anyone

wants to try the massage it can't hurt anything...

• Posted

As I said Faye, I've realised that nothing works for me so I just accept it and get on with my life.  But I realise that some of you guys must be suffering much more than I am so of course you have my sympathy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.