Let's talk flare ups

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm in the middle of a flare up, I have no pain in my tummy but all other symptoms

Light head

Headache

Nausea all day in waves everyday for last two weeks

Feeling going to faint ...just twice

Feeling very poorly and weak

Thirst

In spite of all this it seems their is nothing the doctor can or will give me he will only give antibiotics when I am in pain as that is when an infection is present

I am now on fybogel, and paracetamal.

I get the impression its a case you have to just live with these symptoms and get on with it yourself until it passes which make it difficult to just get on with life and work as it gets you down

I have been trying to self help myself

Found peppermint tea holds nausea help digestion

Smelling salts for fainting and dizziness

Nothing for generally feeling totally unwell and fatigue

Has anyone found anything that helps their symptoms or have your doctor given you anything to help these symptoms besides bed rest and no work ta

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi bethia,i used to feel sick and generally unwell, feeling tired all the time having bad bouts of diarrhea etc then after my colonoscopy and being diagnosed with DD i tried lots of different things but by far the Fybogel helped me the most but it does take time for your system to calm down,give it time but remember to drink lots of water,I was only prescribed antibiotics once by a doctor who didnt seem to have any idea on the disease and they made me feel worse so i stopped taking them,after a couple of weeks things slowly improved.Eat small easily digested foods so you dont overload your system,you might experience quite a bit of gas at 1st but this will stop as your body gets used to the Fybogel,i found not drinking coffee,alcohol and high fat or spicy foods didnt help at the time but i can now eat those in small amounts every so often,hope this helps,stay positive you will improve with time.xx
    • Posted

Yes your reply helps a lot and thank you, I drink a lot of tea but found when a flare up happens it makes me feel pokey so I swap it with water,

Don't drink coffee and am t total.

It say it can take fybogel three days before it works so I know I haven't given it enough time to kick in.

• Posted

Do you use anything to settle tummy and nausea,?
    • Posted

No i didnt take anything for the nausea it just improved over time,i was never actually sick,just the feeling,it was horrible and i lost about a stone in weight as i had no appetite,have you tried herbal teas as i think its the caffeine thats bad  for you and normal tea contains as much as coffee,i limit myself to one coffee a day now,good that you dont drink alcohol though.I like cammomile tea,it is suppose to settle the stomach dont know if it helped but you could try it.
  • Posted

Briefly... I have been sufferig from most of the symptoms you mention for some time with nothing I tried making any difference.

​I visited a GP who prescribed Pappermint OIl Capsules, taken 3 times a day.  The result has been amazing.  Human once more!  I had previously tried the tea but obviously needed a more intense dose.  It may not work for you but I can say it is definitely worth a try.   Hope you will be feeling better soon.

• Posted

Hi Sandy,i tried the peppermint tea for awhile and the capsules but found it gave me bad heartburn so went on the cammomile tea just as a replacement really instead of drinking tea and coffee.
    • Posted

I found peppermint tea kind of hold back the sick bit and ginger tea is in a class of it own except I don't like the taste and burns my throat.

Its recommended for people with IBS so must be good I googled both teas but their is not a lot between them.

I will look into ginger capsules could be easier to take than the taste of it

• Posted

Can you buy peppermint capsule s

Over the counter at chemist?

• Posted

I think you prob can,i know you can get them from Holland & Barret.

• Posted

Hi Bethia. Just to prove my point, I forgot to take my midday peppermint oil , started developing pain in the evening and that pain disappeared within 20 minutes of taking the capsules. I don't see this as a miracle cure for a sevetre flare of DD, but it certainly seems to work for me at the moment.

• Posted

Morning, I been to chemist forgot to ask for the capsules I will do it on Monday when I'm in town again but I got my paracetamol's and smelling salts for my head when it gets light and giddy.

• Posted

Sandy I got the peppermint oil capsules guy at chemist said it will settle tummy but unsure about the nausea and to only take it when a flare up occurs
  • Posted

Beth what has your Dr said about psyllium husk Metamucil during a flare up. Does he recommend you stay on it while in pain?
    • Posted

He put me on fybogel and I got to take one sachet a day everyday even when I'm feeling well

• Posted

Yes it's a life long thing,but well worth it,remember to drink plenty.

• Posted

Yes I drink plenty of tea and water throughout the day, I have taken my second peppermint oil . one yesterday one today it settles my tummy but you got to wait a bit as it has to reach the intestine and desolve if you want a quicker reaction peppermint tea go right their but not as intense

Having said that the Advice to try it was spot on and I am converted

So far throughout this awful dd taking fybogel and peppermint capsules have been the most invaluable advice and I am most grateful for it...x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.