Levaquin effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone experienced hair loss from Levaquin and this class of drugs? I had it with my earlier rounds of Levaquin & it took a few months to subside. Then had it start again a month after my last round. I had meningitis so I didn't have much choice in meds and I was allergic to the first med they gave me. Looking back, I never thought to question the Levaquin. I currently take no other meds. Has anyone had hairloss and does anything in particular trigger a flare up of symptoms?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jane,  I don't think hair loss is a common symptom as I haven't heard of it before.  I know skin problems can be an issue so maybe hair loss is related to that.  A flare up of symptoms can be triggered by taking steroid or NSAIDS - or they can just happen for no reason.  I think you may be in the US?  Have you looked at floxie hope?  I'm not allowed to give the link but if you go to this thread the moderator gives links to many helpful sites both here in the UK and the US.  Have a look

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

Good luck!

• Posted

Yes, I'm checking that, too. I'm trying to make the conncection between the med and that it possibly depleted me of something again (magnesium, iron, etc.) that's related to the hair loss. Strong antibiotics, such as the Vancomycin that I took in the past, can and will deplete iron and other blood levels. I studied my test results and levels in the hospital pre and post meds. It caused anemia at the time then had increase in hair loss. Once my hair stopped falling out after being recovered I was relieved. However, I was given Levaquin yet again for 10 days a few months after that. Then mysteriously hair loss starts. Seems too much of a cooincidence, I know this is connected. I've read of other cases online as well and am hoping to find one of those people, which is my goal here...

• Posted

I hope you find someone, you can maybe post a question on Floxie Hope's site, or join one of the US Facebook groups?  Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I have been experiencing hair loss for the last few weeks. I had pneumonia with MRSA and was given Vancomycin via IV which is the only medicine that can be used to combat MRSA. I also had to have surgery to remove part of my right lung because of the infection. The hospital also had me on iron because I became anemic. Because of the MRSA (staph) I had a follow up appt with an infectious disease doctor and he wanted a CT scan with contrast (iodine) to review a month after surgery. Being on vanco and then being injected with iodine caused me to break out in hives and a rash which I later discovered is called red man syndrome. It was all over my body, scalp & even my eyelids. Sunburn & rash. Worst experience of my life!! I have experienced quite a bit of stress over this!! I am taking a Hair Skin & Nail supplement and vitamin A and will be visiting a dermatologist in a week. My question is did your hair grow back?

• Posted

I have had hair loss. It appeared two weeks after completing a round of the antibiotic. They should be more forth right with the side effects!
    • Posted

Hi Pam,

Since I posted on here 2 years ago I've learned that hair loss is indeed a common side effect!  We shouldn't be surprised as Levaquin, Cipro and the other fluoroquinolones are also used as Chemo drugs!  Apparently they can knock out tumour cells quite well with the added bonus of preventing secondary bacterial infection I presume.  The fact that tumour cells are mammalian (human!) seems to escape those people who say 'antibiotics only affect bacteria' so the side effects you're getting can't be from the Levo (or Cipro).

They damage mammalian cells - it was shown in a study back in the 1996 and has been shown many times since.  You are right - they should be VERY clear about what side effects you are very likely to get (with the next course if not this one) - and also that the side effects may be damaging and permanent.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.