levothyroxine and proximal muscle problems

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi, I have been using levothyroxine for past few years and have recently developed servere muscle problems in hip/groin area (adductor/ periformus and upper thigh) and in both shoulders. Despite being tested for all sorts of problems no firm diagnosis has been made as all the tests have been negative. My question is - has anyone had anything similar or had side effects to taking levothyroxine?

4 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there!  I realize this is an old post but I am wondering if you ever got any info?? I am suffering with the exact same symtoms right now! Hip pain....actually makes it difficult to walk sometimes....shoulder rotator cuff problems...etc.

i would sooo appreciate any advice you havesmile

• Posted

Hi 

I hope you are still active I have the same symptoms. Have been on levothyroxine for 9 years no problems. Hip, buttocks, adductors, knees and shoulders stiff and painful. Drs haven't a clue. Hope you can help

• Posted

Oh and yes  I have been on synthroid 200mcg for 10 years but all this came on about a year ago....on and off. I have  Graves' disease....radioactive iodine treate many years ago!
  • Posted

I have had these same symptoms. Total thyroidectomy 18 mos ago. Please tell me how you are and what helped
  • Posted

Hi

I had a TT back in Aug. 2011, 2 weeks later the feet pain started, 6 months after around March 2012 the hip pain and lower back pain started. Dealing with all this types of pain was making me miserable. The feet pain lasted around 8 months, but the hip pain,middle back and sometimes lower back still going on now. My Endo told me is not thyroid medicine related so many times. Finally 3 months ago she changed my prescription from generic levothyroxine to synthroid. I was feeling much much better around 80-90% better, I was able to sleep over my left side and laid down flat with no pain, BUT two weeks later the pain came back. Im pretty sure is related to the medicine in my case. Im a 36 years old male who never experinced anything like this ever before. Everything started after the TT. Im still dealing with this pain(forgot to write everythig

• Posted

Is in the left side. 

Good luck everybody and sorry for the "book" that I just wrote.

• Posted

Hi, I am one of the old posters on this old post.

My Problem:  genetic tendency to loose ligaments (who knew?) with hormonal change from change in medication causing (1) tight muscles, (2) loose ligaments and then (3) grating bones where the sacrum (back) meet the iliac (pelvis)       [Problem started when Levoxyl was recalled, and I tried Tirosint]

What happened to resolve:  Tried a third brand of medication (Sandoz) that suits me better. 

When the hormone levels return to where they should be, the ligaments tighten back up, and the pain improves

What to do until then: 

Remember that the pain is your friend.  If it hurts don’t do it.                     

Wear a girdle.  Ice what hurts.  Take small steps.  Keep knees together especially in and out of cars and bed. Sit with both feet on the floor.  Avoid sitting and standing for long periods.  Avoid stairs.  Go upstairs leading with your less painful side and downstairs with the more painful one.    Sit down to get dressed. Avoid pushing and pulling.  Avoid vacuuming.  If you have to rake or vacuum see if one direction hurts less than the other.  Avoid bending and twisting. Don’t carry toddlers on your hip.   Avoid carrying any one sided loads. Carry in front or on your back.

Remember the less it hurts the sooner it heals.

What I did to rehab when the pain eased:

I used a Sunny Air Walk Trainer machine with the abdomen and hand parts removed (because they cause my back to twist) and pumping my arms a little like running.  I started with small steps for just a few minutes.  .  It gently stretches, and it feels like I weigh half as much.  Now I keep it near the TV for commercial break exercise.  It’s tiny and kinda fun.

I gained weight while less active, so I started taking my thyroid pill at night with no snacking after 6:00 p.m. Less weight is easier on the joints

I added vitamin D supplements because I now live in the North and I am older.

What I will do in the future;

I will listen to my body, and be aware that I may get a ligament problem in any joint at any time.

I will massage the muscles when they first start to get tight. Gentle stretches.  Warm bath.

For joint pain I will use rest, ice, support and compression (Ace bandage, girdle, brace, tape, whatever it takes). Easier to prevent problems than cure them.

And I will try to avoid doing things that hurt, or to find ways of doing them that don’t hurt.

My Sympathy to all who are now in pain, Hope you heal soon.  Regards.  Dominie

• Posted

Thanks dominie, this is all good advice.

I have hyper-extensive (aka too stretchy or loose) ligaments too. One way I know I am on too little thyroid meds is when my knees bend back the wrong way (big ouch). What I've worked out is happening is: my muscles usually compensate for my lax ligaments, but when my thyroid meds are too low, my muscles don't get the energy and nutrients they need and become weak and fatigued. This means the joint isn't held in the right place and it gets damaged when used. Pain ensues. The trick is to get the thyroid meds right.

There are a number of processes that have to work for our bodies to use the thyroxine (aka T4) we are given. Whenever anyone says they've been on thyroxine for years but are still getting hypothyroid symptoms (as i did and you are doing) my instant thought is that one of the other processes isn't working properly. The first one I would investigate is whether you are converting T4 to T3 (liothyronine) properly. To check for this, you will need TSH, T4 and T3 testing from the same blood sample. Ask for a printout of your results. If the TSH and T4 are in range and the T3 is below range this shows that you are not converting T4 to T3 very well. If they are all in range, look at the value of each result to see where it falls in the range. If the TSH and T4 results are high in the range and the T3 is relatively lower (e.g. mid or low in range), this is also an indication your body is not converting T4 to T3 very well. To help in the meantime, follow the standard advice: to wait 4 hours after eating to ensure your stomach is empty before taking your thyroxin. Also, don't take medications containing calcium, iron, or magnesium within 4 hours as this affects the absorption of thyroxine.

Since I switched to Natural Desiccated Thyroid, I'm much less fatigued and my joints have improved (I'm not yet upto full dose). Physiotherapy helps (so you know which exercises to do and exactly how to do them) to strengthen your muscles. Pilates is good too. Even better, find a physio who teaches pilates. Take it very slowly. I took about 3 little intermediate exercises to get where most people get in 1. Correct your posture - this will reduce the shoulder pain a lot. Leaning over a desk or computer causes 'neck forward syndrome'. Where one's head is no longer directly above the spine, but juts forward. It also causes the top of the shoulder to move forward, narrowing the gap that the shoulder tendon and muscles run through. They then rub on the bone roughening it and making it add extra bone (aka spurs) to protect itself. I had a sub acromial decompression operation to fix this. Thanks to my physio pilates teacher I have now got full movement back and am painfree unless I sit at a computer for more than 10 -15 mnutes/ slouch in a chair / travel in a car for very far. I'm hoping there is something in this epic message that will help!

• Posted

I have had very similar problems and i hope we can communicate about them. Ive been on levo for two years and have had muscle pain and twitching and muscle chills for about a year.

• Posted

I have been diagonis with lymphedema and my muscles are frozen from waist down.
  • Posted

Hi

What was the diagnosis in the end ? I have exactly the same symptoms. Hope you can help

• Posted

Yes, since I have had my levothyroxine dosage increased, I've been experiencing pain in upper thighs, hip, and inner thigh area. I have lab work scheduled and seeing physician next week. 
  • Posted

I have been taking levothyroixine for about a year.  And recently started to get stitches in the right side below ribs when I bend down or sit down and sit in the wrong position, also getting discomfort along below ribs.  I have had so many different problems since taking levothyroxine!  I also have a lot of spots in my mouth, like tiny pimples.  If I say anything to the doctor/nurse about any new symptoms they seem to think HERE WE GO AGAIN, A HYPOCHONDRIAC and waive it aside.  YET before the levothyroixine I didnt have all these problems and did not bother them!  Why would someone suddenly become a hypochondriac when they are 58 and never were before?  I have also had a rash, I had a few weeks were I felt very cold like a block of ice,  had a lot of pains in my face and head etc. If you say anything it is always oh dear here we go again. Yet I felt far better before I took this medicine.  I now have high blood pressure, I never had that before either. They want to put me in statins but they give you other problems and side effects - I would prefer to go on plant sterols if I must take something, it is natural and gives no side effects. But I now wonder why I am taking the  thyroxine at all if it makes me worse. Have you tried the natural one or iodine instead?
    • Posted

I've been taking Natural Desiccated Thyroid (NDT) since 23rd June 2015 and feel great on it. I bought it over the internet having run out of options because I became allergic/intolerant to maize starch which is in all the synthetic thyroxines provided by the NHS. NatureThroid also made me swell up. As did liquid thyroxine. The stiffness my joints has gone, as has the muscle weakness. No more shooting pains through my muscles. No longer cold to my core despite being at the top of the T4 range. I have a pet theory that the patients who do well on NDT are those without a functioning thyroid to convert the T4 to T3, so they convert it less well. My TSH score in 1991 when I was diagnosed was 170. The doctor did say he'd never seen a result that high (though maybe the tests were different then) so I believe my thyroid is totally defunct.
  • Posted

Hi I just recently was put on this med and since starting it I've noticed bad pain in my right thigh and hip. It hurts so much that going up and down stairs it's very painful. I hadn't really thought it could be a side effect of the drug but it was suggested to me that I check online. Now reading here, it sounds like it may very well be. Strangely, it is only in my right side. I suppose this is something I should talk to my doctor about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.