levothyroxine and proximal muscle problems

Posted , 38 users are following.

Hi, I have been using levothyroxine for past few years and have recently developed servere muscle problems in hip/groin area (adductor/ periformus and upper thigh) and in both shoulders. Despite being tested for all sorts of problems no firm diagnosis has been made as all the tests have been negative. My question is - has anyone had anything similar or had side effects to taking levothyroxine?

4 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have the same pains.  Ask you doctor to test your blood ESR. This can diagnose polymyalgia - inflammation of the muscles you reported.  It can be treated with steroids but avoid this if you can and try antiinflammatories such as ibuprofen.  Polymayalgia can last up to approx 3 years but should resolve itself in time.  I am not sure but I think it is connected to your hypothyroidism in that your anti-bodies are not working properly (dont quote me on that though).  Please ask you doctor for more information.
    • Posted

From everything I've heard from other people, the levo seems to greatly accelerate and aggravate autoimmune disease. Thyroid disease is caused by autoimmune disease. The levothyroxin accelerates autoimmune disease to the point that it can cause thyroid lumps, as well as fibrimialgia. 

Check other discussions on this site for "unacceptable side effects of levothyroxin".

• Posted

Yes! Not sure why you didn't find the discussion here, but there are tons of people who experience "unacceptable side effects" from levothyroxin. It seems to cause fibrimialgia symptoms. 

I struggled led with this horrible drug for three years. It didn't work at any dose, and my health steadily declined. My previously stable weight ballooned from a size 4 to a size 12. I couldn't exercise because of the massive pain and arthritis. I had migraines so bad, I feared I would have a stroke. Also, anxiety, hair loss, massive water retention and kidney problems. 

If if this stuff isn't working for you to start, I can guaranty it only gets worse.

Hooefully you can benefit from my three years of hell on this drug and get off if it. I have severe thyroid disease, and the sued effects get higher with the dose. I'm now on an OTC organic bovine glandular and am doing much better. Though the three years of damage from the levothyroxin pretty slow to recover from.

Good luck. And do a search on this site for other discussions on this. There are tons!

• Posted

I know you posted your question over a year ago, just wanted to find out what you have learned about your symptons in regards to taking levothyroxine?  I have been taking levo for almost 18 years, and in the last 6 weeks have developed severe muscle pain in my shoulders and upper arms.  Sometimes it affects my hip/groin area too....

Up until 6 weeks ago, i would ave pain periodically, but nbothing like i am experienceing now.  I think it is related to the levo.  just wanted to see if you came to the same conclusion?  Thanks for any help you can give.

• Posted

I had that while on the levo. My only guess is that it's manufactured in third world countries and contains parasites. I went off it and have been getting treatment for parasites and am feeling amazingly better.

Sounds crazy, right?

• Posted

What about your thyroid? Are you taking anything and what parasites do you have?

Thanks and yes crazy!!!

• Posted

I tried to reply to this. I don't know where it went... 

The he accupuncturist treated me for three different types including nematodes. I feel tons better!

I basically use alternative practitioners when I have a real problem. I use my regular doc for blood work, and I manage my meds myself with a non prescription organic bovine glandular. This works well for me, as well as for my mother, who had her thyroid removed a decade ago.

• Posted

I had graves disease , had thyroid  removed 4 months  ago last month tsh  level was 4500 upped lev0thyroxin from 125 Mcg to 137Mcg , Got blood  work back today  tsh  level was 6500 . I have bad  heat intolerance , anger very easy  , tired all time  but  whole  body hurts , so  cant lay  down  for  2 hours max at a time  ! 
    • Posted

Get yourself to an acupuncturist. 

Also, turmeric and bromeliads fir the pain. 

Check with itch your doctor. If the doc doesn't have a solution, get another doctor. Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to find a good endocrinologist. Keep looking until you find a good one.

A lot lot if people seem to say they get fibromiagya type symptoms on the levo, myself included. The pain, weight gain, severe headaches, etc only got worse for me the longer I was on this medication. After trying half a dozen different prescription meds, I was so sick I figured I didn't have anything to lose by trying a non prescription bovine glandular. It's been slow, but I'm feeling better and the weight is coming off, finally.

Good luck, whatever you try!

• Posted

Thanks for your input. I have an appt with an acupuncturist in a few days and am looking for an endocrinologist. I will try the turmeric and the bromeliads. Thanks again!
    • Posted

Debra, Catherine, apparently turmeric is absorbed better if one has a little black pepper at the same time. See daily mail article. I googled 'daily mail turmeric'. Makes interesting reading.

• Posted

Hi. I've got rheumatoid athritis and was recently prescribed throxine and am experiencing muscle pain in arms and legs. I stopped taking in but when my throxine levels were still too low I was put back on it. Then 7 days in I'm back with the pains! Anyone have ideas for helping this problem? Does the pain level off with time, or am I going to keep suffering

• Posted

Some ideas of things to try: a) swap brand of levothyroxine - they have different fillers in and you might be reacting to one of them; b) swap to natural desiccated thyroid.

I had to do (b) as I've become intolerant to maize starch which is in all the synthetic thyroid meds. As I'm in the UK this means I have to buy my own off the internet.

It might though be something else that is causing you a problem now that you are on thyroxine. I read the patient information leaflet on liquid thyroxine yesyerday and it says soy products can affect the absorption of levothyroxine. So cut out soy for 1-2 weeks to see if that helps. If not, try also cutting out gluten. Then try cutting out dairy. If one if these helps, try re-introducing the others ine at a time to see what effect that has.

Just a thought, fruit, sugar and alcohol cause joint pains in me. So that's another thing to explore. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.