Lichen Planus - Treatments, Cures, Aids

Posted , 42 users are following.

I want to start a thread that concentrates on anything that helps - or anything tried that doesn't help.

I've been prescribed Dapsone, Alegra and Advantan - no improvement after 14 days

I've read that Ultra Violet B was completely successful for 70% of patients after 10.9 weeks and I can email that study to anyone interested. Ultra Violet B is provided by the sun but one person on this forum reported getting worse after spending time in the sun.

EM

2 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Next
  • Posted

From elsewhere on the web:

Lycopene

Antihistamines

Immune-suppressing medications, such as cyclosporine (in severe cases)

Lidocaine mouthwashes -- to numb the area and make eating more comfortable (for mouth lesions)

Topical corticosteroids (such as clobetasol) or oral corticosteroids (such as prednisone) -- to reduce swelling and suppress immune responses. Corticosteroids may be injected right into a lesion.

Topical retinoic acid cream (a form of vitamin A) and other ointments or creams -- to reduce itching and swelling and aid healing

Topical immune-suppressing medications, such as tacrolimus and pimecroliumus -- but lesions must be watched carefully for signs of cancer (I don't know what the 'signs' are - EM)

Dressings may be placed over topical medications to protect the skin from scratching.

Ultraviolet light therapy may be helpful in some cases.

Oral retinoids (acitretin)

• Posted

I read that OLP can be caused by high blood pressure medications which I have been taking about the same time I started having the mouth sores which has been since 2009.  I ran out of my medication last week and although I shouldn't have, I didn't renew my prescription because I wanted to see if the sores would clear up and they have.  I can still feel where they have been ( far back of mouth/inner cheek area) but they are not open sores right now and my range of opening my mouth without it hurting and being tight is also better.  Problem now is, I woke up this morning with a very bad headache which is most likely from not taking my high blood pressure meds.  I guess my question now is, is there another kind I can take or are they all going to cause sores?  Frustrated.
  • Posted

My partner has recently been diagnosed with, and had surgery for, oral cancer which involved cutting out the affected portion of her tongue and replacing it with a flap of skin from her arm. This new flap of skin developed lichen planus in exactly the place where her original tongue had suffered from OLP for many years (the surgeon actually confirmed that in a small percentage of cases OLP can be a precursor to oral cancer, but says he has never seen OLP return to a reconstructed tongue).

It seems conventional medicine doesn't have much of an idea about how to treat OLP so I suggested to her that she try colonic hydrotherapy (colonic irrigation) to address her chronic problem with constipation, in the belief that skin problems can be a manifestation of a build-up of toxins in the body due to inefficient elimination. Within a few weeks of having a series of colonic irrigation treatments the OLP seems to have cleared up, although she was also having steroid mouthwashes prescribed by the surgeon.

I know that the medical establishment can't accommodate these alternative-type approaches to disease treatments, but I can't help feeling that this would explain both her many years of suffering both constipation and OLP and why it returned after surgery and why it has now resolved itself.

Has anyone any comments on this?

• Posted

Yo Ron:

Since you have at least these four possibilities, steroid mouthwashes, colonic irrigation, placebo effect

and spontaneous remission to consider, it would be hard to say which one was the effective treatment. It would be interesting to see a study that used a control group who did not have chronic constipation.

"skin developed lichen planus in exactly the place where her original tongue had suffered from OLP"

Amazing. Normal LP lesions almost invariably appear at the site of an injury, did this happen after the surgery had healed or could the surgery itself have triggered the reaction?

When I started this post I wrote - "no improvement after 14 days" when using Dapsone, Alegra and Advantan for normal Lichen Planus. I'm happy to report that there was a lag time before the Dapsone began to work. I was clear of all but the purple scars after 40 days.

I'm not sure if LP treatments are appropriate for OLP but a doctor would know. If you do try it, don't go longer than 40 days on Dapsone, you end up suffering from the cure.

EM

• Posted

Yo EM,

I totally agree that the evidence from just one case is inconclusive, that's why I thought it might be good to 'compare notes' and see if more evidence can be gathered. I have already heard from one contributor on this site who says he will try having colonic irrigation to see if it helps......that's what I had hoped might happen and I also hope it works.

Additional evidence from my partner is that she had suffered from OLP for most of the past 20 years and had only been prescribed steroidal gels to treat it with. At the end of about 15 years she did have a spontaneous remission and was told by a hospital consultant that OLP does tend to have a 15 year 'cycle'.

During this time the only triggers she was aware of were episodes of increased emotional stress and certain foods such as spicy foods and bananas, but she was also, of course, suffering from chronic constipation throughout this period.

• Posted

Yo Ron:

I can confirm the 15 year cycle but I don't get depressed and eat spicy food every 15 years, I'm depressed and spicy all the time! Curious that the immune system can suffer some sort of confusion which then goes away despite the fact that nothing really changed for me. Spontaneous Remission is just a doctor's way of saying 'we don't know WTF happened.' I noticed that dermatologists like to use terms like 'stress' because it's a nebulous, unquantifiable factor that you 'might not be aware of.'

The first symptom for me was raised itchy welts on my shin that eventually stripped the pigment out of my skin and killed my career in the beauty pageants.No one knew what it was because it didn't look like the pictures on the web. The raised, flat, large, bright purple welts on the backs of my hands were the next thrilling feature - Dapsone fixed it for me that time but I had to wear a lot of self adjusting foundation cream.

I've concluded that we're on our own, not much research gong on that I know of. Richard Dawkins once said that when Alternative Medicine is rigorously tested and found to work, it becomes 'medicine' - I agree with that and I'm not expecting much help there.

Interesting though, there was a time when LP and OLP sufferers didn't have it. What changed might be the best clue to an explanation.

EM

• Posted

Golly, EM, that sounds pretty nasty.

I know it's nowhere near as severe as your experience, but I had a persistent skin rash on my forehead for some years which I tried to control by changing my diet and by the use of corticosteroid creams, but without much success. Just recently it has cleared up, once I started taking a daily dose of macrogol (a substance that retains water in the bowel and thereby assists in regular bowel movements). ( Dispensed under the name Laxido or Movicol). (It's NOT an irritant laxative like senna etc). I now have at least one bowel movement per day and completely clear skin on my forehead. The skin on my face has also tended to get quite itchy, but I've discovered the trick here is to stop using any cleaning products on my face whatsoever........no soap, no shower gel and not even baby shampoo/soap.......before that I had assumed that the less oil and muck was on the skin the better........WRONG!!!

Ron

An added bit of evidence came recently in a TV program which followed an Aussie guy round America who had cured himself of Urticaria (a severe skin rash) by changing from an unhealthy diet to one consisting only of juiced green vegetables. Although this is a somewhat extreme 'cure' it does tend to confirm the notion that the skin is an organ of excretion (via sweat etc) and that when the 'insides' are toxic then the 'outsides' will be affected as the skin tries to get rid of the excess toxins.

• Posted

I can buy that. You're not supposed to wash a dog for the same reason, it's skin has its own ecology. I think we'd all be healthier if we went veg and ate no fat or lean, dumped all processed food and evils like Coca Cola - but in this context I'd like to see a stronger connection between cleansing (for want of a better word) and Lichen Planus. What about all the other sufferers who are not constipated?

The steroid treatments smell like a red herring, and as my doctor pointed out, you can quickly get into much more serious things (like liver damage) trying to pursue the cure for a skin condition that eventually disappears on its own.

The most serious part of it for me was the horrible purple welts, they looked foul and were hard to hide and that made people reluctant to shake my hand. I found the rejection disturbing and you can't launch into an explanation of how harmless it is to others when you're meeting a real estate client! Then when I discovered that it had no known cause or cure, I went from the normal level of depression and spiciness, straight into the abyss (the same abyss that had that creature at the bottom of it).

So the real damage for me was psychological, and I wasn't expecting it. "Big fat tough guy seeks small dark room to withdraw to." smile

• Posted

Try Arsenicum Album, homeopathy treatment, I have had Lichen planus for over 20 years, and it works every time I have a flare up, its worth giving it a try, and it may work for you.
    • Posted

What daily dosage are you using for the Arsenicum Album?
    • Posted

When I have had a flare up in the past, I have used homeopathy for a week, maximum ten days, no longer than that, three times a day, usually  30c, 10 drops for every dose.    I cut and pasted the following for you....  

"Do not confuse dose with potency. Online Potency Information 

A dose is 3 tablets/ 3 pellets/ 10 drops/ or 3 oral sprays, regardless of potency and generally

is the same no matter the weight of the person or animal.

*Do not confuse dose with potency by thinking you can take more pellets because the potency is low.

*Do not think that you can equal a 200C with increasing the dose of a lower potency - you cannot. 

*A dose is how much you consume at one time. So whether you take 3 pellets, 20 pellets, or one bottle,

when taken at one sitting, it is considered as one dose".

Homeopathy may or may not work for you, but it is certainly worth a shot. 

• Posted

Guppy007, I was at the health food store today and bought some arsenicum album, but bought the wrong dose,200 ck. Do you know if that would be too much to take? Deciding if I need to go back and buy another vial of it...
    • Posted

Really high potencies, such as 200C, are normally taken in very low doses (typically once per week) whereas lower potencies(30c)  are taken every few hours for a few days. It is generally considered to be a bad idea to take high potencies often and so I think the 30c would be better.  If you Google homeopathy you should find out more.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info! I did research a bit, but it was a little confusing to me.
    • Posted

Hi Guppy, could you please tell if Arsenicum Album is for any LP? I have had LP since I was 12, mostly on ankles, wrists, back of arm, all of abdomen, spine and lower area. I was having a flare up just every once a while in the last 10 years which Prednisone took care of. But this year, I had taken 4 10 day courses of prednisone (25 mg) (5 days and taper it the next 5 days). The flare up is back in 15 days soon after a course. I don't want to continue prednisone due to its vast side effects. Please advise how and where you consulted for homeopathy. Thank you.

• Posted

Dear Guppy007,

Thanks for the tip.

Started to buy arsenicum album.

Realized, I have no idea how much, what dose, what form, etc.?????

I have olp. Do I get a tab and dilute in water as mouthwash? Do I suck on a tab? My dentist was useless. Prescribed $85 mouthwash. There's no way I can buy that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.