Lichen Planus - Treatments, Cures, Aids

Posted , 42 users are following.

I want to start a thread that concentrates on anything that helps - or anything tried that doesn't help.

I've been prescribed Dapsone, Alegra and Advantan - no improvement after 14 days

I've read that Ultra Violet B was completely successful for 70% of patients after 10.9 weeks and I can email that study to anyone interested. Ultra Violet B is provided by the sun but one person on this forum reported getting worse after spending time in the sun.

EM

2 likes, 98 replies

98 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

After I started taking 6,000 units of Vitamin D, my lichen planus completely went away.  I take 3,000 units with breakfast and 3,000 units with dinner.  I wanted to share this because I was so miserable.  Back in July 2008, just a few months after retiring, the sores in my mouth started.  They never really went away and sometimes got so bad, I couldn't even drink water or talk.  Last year, 2013, I started taking the Vitamin D.  Apparently, when I was working driving to and from work (40 minutes each way) I was getting a LOT of sun via the magnification of the sun on the windshield of my car.  Once I retired and was not driving hardly at all -- the terrible sores started.  I even had 2 biopsies (at the request of my gum doctor) -- once in 09 and once in 2011.  I know the Vitamin D works because last summer, during a migraine where I couldn't keep anything down and therefore couldn't take the Vitamin D, the sores came back.  Once I got over the migraine and stopped vomiting and I resumed taking Vitamin D, the sore went away.  Now I can enjoy eating once again.  I really hope this helps other sufferers of this painful mouth condition.
    • Posted

Pretty amazing - and I just happen to have a huge quantity on hand so I'm going to give it a shot. D is created by the sun I believe so everything you said makes perfect sense. When you say units, do you mean milligrams?

Thanks for the tip - I'll post back with the results.

EM

• Posted

I hope it works for you.  Most meds and vitamins are measured in miligrams.  But Vitamin D and Vitamin E and some others are measured in IU -- units. 
    • Posted

gman:

I have to say no, it didn't. I'm in the desert in Mexico and there's no shortage of UV light for about 361 days a year. A plastic bag will crumble in your hand after being in the sun for just a couple of days - damaged by UV light. It's enough to break plastic lawn chairs, though when mine broke I went down talking and I kept the cocktail upright! smile

I did try consuming as much vit D as I could for as long as I thought would yield results but no change. But that's for ME. I'm on pain killers at all times, I'm a heavy smoker and drinker and it might be that the vit D just didn't really have a chance. I wouldn't write it off just because it didn't help me. Frodo seemed very sure that it was his cure, he saw cause and effect when starting and stopping the D treatment - worth trying...

eman

• Posted

Thanks for the prompt response. Also I have always maintained that maintaining the cocktail upright while your body is en route the floor is an art...

I am going to attack this with a combination is of Vit D, immuno suppressant ointment that the doc recommended, homeopathy and de-toxifying type diet that some have mentioned here. Doesn't make for good science experiment with so many v variables, but I want to fight this aggressively before it becomes itchy /rashy... Will report in a couple of months.

• Posted

I think the detoxing is the way to go. There's a lot of evidence to suggest that if we only left the body alone (no processed food, junk food, smoking, drinking, pills and other poisons) - it would heal itself. In this case I think it means allowing the immune system to recover.  
    • Posted

Yes, vitamin D3 is a must...and also look into vitamin K2.  Be careful about vitamin A...easy to get too much...and can actual cause skin reactions if you get too much.  When I was in North Carolina this Spring...it was beautiful and sunny and all my symptoms improved...so yes...again...vitamin D is very important. 
  • Posted

I was lucky to find a local dentist who knows a lot about LP. He prescribed a mouthrinse concoction of two prescriptions which they compound for me at the pharmacy: Dexamethasone and Nystatin. I swish and spit four times a day, three minutes each time. Works beautifully and he says he's found it by trial and error over the years. Dentist is Gerald Cioffi in Jacksonville, FL if you need to find someone in that area, he's great. 
    • Posted

Thanks! That's going to help a lot of people. I have the other kind - at best, small injuries take months to heal because the LP affects the site of the injury, at worst, horrible raised purple welts on the backs of my hands. Fortuntely, that's only happened once and I used women's make up (not the first time) to cover them. You can get a foundation that automatically assumes the same color as your skin.
    • Posted

Do you happen to know what the proportions and strengths of each of the medications is when they're mixed?
    • Posted

Hi , i hope by now you are better, i have just discovered this Brilliant forum, would it be possible for you to tell me the amount of Dexamethasone to mix with the Nystatin as my Chemist will make the concotion for me if i can tell him th how much to use, i have Oral Lichen Planus about 5 years, i live in South East Ireland and theres not much Sun in Winter to help me with Vitamin D which helps some suffers...ps even if you could help with an e-mail address,.... 
    • Posted

Hi, did you ever get the concoction for this aid and did it work for you?
    • Posted

Do you have any other information regarding the doseage? Would it be possible to contact the dr. directly, I live in New York? Any other informatoin you can send would truly appreciated!By the way are you better now or do you still get flareups (hope not). Thank you for sharing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.