Lichen sclerosis

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with this condition after having biopsies. I am using Dermovate and also have been given hydromol ointment to use as well, is there anything else I can do to stop the intense itching and tenderness experienced. Is there any foods that should be avoided as well, I will be gratefull for any help forthcoming. Regards Iris

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have not been diag yet but i found that Sugar fee has helped me alot. No detergent on washing underwear.. Nothing acidic.. I stick to basic meat, vegs and use clob ointment off and on when itching starts.. I have Hashimotos and feel this has something to do with this as i will discuss this with my functional dr that i have a appt with on May 17.. My first bad flare up was when i went frm hypo to hyper thyroid.. my functional dr is also a gyn and looking forward to meeting with her.. i will post after my appt in may..

• Posted

Is LS related to an under active thyroid, I had a goitre operation more than  30yrs ago and most of my thyroid gland removed and have been on thyroxin since then, is it possible that could be the reason for me having LS now.

• Posted

I dont know yet  as i said.. in a previous comment.. my functional Dr is also a GYN and will ask her on May 17..

• Posted

I too have had part of my thyroid removed, but have no idea whether that could be the cause of LS.
    • Posted

May I be so bold as to ask why you had part of your thyroid removed. I have nodules; one being quite large but after ultrasound my doctor was comfortable in leaving them there for now. He feels I have Hashimotos.
    • Posted

I had a hyper active/Graves thyroid.  Hashimotos is the opposite.  My thyroid was hyper and is now hypo.  Hypo is easier to treat. 
    • Posted

Thanks. Yes, I understand Graves isn't fun and easy to deal with. You've had a journey with your health I can see. Your careful management of your LS inspires me.
    • Posted

The reason why I had most of my thyroid gland removed was because I had a goitre there, I have been taking thyroxin for an under active thyroid for 30yrs  
    • Posted

Thanks. I'm still trying to understand my thyroid issue.
    • Posted

Ithink it is related to low thyroid,my gyn doesnt really agree but i dont think she really knows,i know it is to do with immune system.i just know i think it is bull that his disease has to come about and ruein lives,i have enough problems then have to have this is well.IT BUMS ME OUT SO REALLY REALLY BAD.i know i will never have sex,people on here say oh yes you will,no i wont no man will want me now.so i have excepted that now.the clob doesnt work,i know i have this pain forever,i hope the best for you
    • Posted

Dear Lori, it sounds like you're very down and sad.  I know that LS can so easily get a person in a depressed state of mind.  It's such a debilitating illness.  It affects a person mentally even more than physically, I find.  

I don't know whether I was just lucky; after an enormous struggle to get back into a better physical shape was no easy matter.  Today I look back and see that my immediate environment was severly neglected and only just resently am I able to begin picking up the pieces left undone and uncared for during this process.

From being totally fused up almost overnight, to fully functioning woman today is no small matter.  Looking back I barely understand how I gathered the courage and energy to keep working on it, conquer it, make it at least liveable.  

I wish I could encourage you to keep working on improving your LS condition. Simple methods have proven to be very beneficial - coconut oil, dilation, baking soda baths and rinses, diet, to just name a few.  

Please hang in there Lori. Try to find a personal routine to make it manageable for you.   

• Posted

Hanny, you are so sweet I could cry. I've been down about my LS recently. Finally finding courage again very recently. You repeatedly pick us up l, so to speak, and teach us how to care for our LS. Thanks for all the encouragement you've been to me/us.
  • Posted

My experience is with baking soda baths and rinses after every bathroom visit.  Plus the use of coconut oil to moisturize.  Next to that hormone replacement, dilation and diet. (for many sugar free has been very helpful) Next to avoidance of added sugar,  I'm also gluten free and mostly dairy free, alcohol free and caffeine free.  Yet I make sure my system gets enough nutrients and vitamins via food and supplements.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.