Lichen Sclerosis

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been  diagnosed with LS , and at the moment having a really bad flare up , I'm using the Betnovate and E45 but the burning sensation is not getting any better, this is now the second week. As anyone any ideas for relief. This is a really depressing disease

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phyllis

One thing I would say is avoid E45 ... I actually had allergy tests done and Im allergic to lanolin, limonene, linalool amongst other things and I notice its in E45.  You might be better to try a more basic cream or lotion - I used Epaderm but its personal choice.  I would also recommend coconut oil .. it has been a lifesaver for me, the relief it provides is amazing as its often dryness that causing the burning for me.  Stick with your betnovate ... I have to use it alternate days all the time and sometimes daily to keep it under control (and advised by gynae that amount using is ok).  Hope this helps even a little. 

• Posted

Thank you  Paula for your reply , I will most certainly try the coconut oil and maybe the Epiderm 
  • Posted

Hello phyllis, I agree with paula about the E45 - definitely a thing to avoid.  I am a male with LS, immediately prior to diagnosis, I had a horrendous flare up and I think that this had been caused by an accumulative effect of trying different skin lotions and creams to soothe what I had going on.  Only, it made it far worse!!!

I have just posted a reply to Aitch4 about the need to think about everything, in terms of chemicals, that come into regular contact with the skin... the link is >

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/ls-650564?page=0&order=Oldest

it may give you a few pointers as to what else you can try - Good Luck ... and do check out the other forum discussions on here there are wonderful sources of advice in there about what to try and what to avoid ....

• Posted

I have been sitting in Epson salt water for about 15 minutes and it's really helped. But my family dr said when I dried of f that to use a hair dryer. Then I have been using zinc cream for a diapervrash because it helps better than what the dr gave me.

• Posted

My doctor prescribed Atarax - a powerful antihistamine - and that stopped the itching / burning while I healed. I am amazed at how "normal" I'm feeling now. Maybe ask your doctor about that. It's a short term solution but allows me to stay sane. 

• Posted

Hi , today i have had it confirmed Ihave LS .

After months of trying to get something that works I have been using as a recommendadtion from a Nurse who is a LS sufferer .

Vasoline all the time as a barrier and betnovate ointment perscribed by my Doctor.

Also Derma 500 lotion used as a wash also Derma 600 to bathe in.

I have tried everything else oh and gynacologist reccoment iron your cotton gusset 🤦🏻???🤪

• Posted

E45 is a cream and can irritate also.

The best relief is Vasoline then add Betnovate this was advised by my gynaecologist as the skin is thick due to LS and needs moisture for the steroid to penetrate .

Also rub gently in do not just blob a layer on . Ointment only not cream . Hope this helps as it has helped me . Sorry your in pain its awful 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.