Lichen Sclerosis and Antibiotics

Posted , 10 users are following.

I found this information and thought it was interesting and a possibility in trying.

Int J Dermatol. 2006 Sep;45(9):1104-6.Treatment of lichen sclerosus with antibiotics.Shelley WB1, Shelley ED, Amurao CV.Author information

Abstract

Current therapy for lichen sclerosus centers on topical steroids, particularly clobetasol propionate. As some evidence suggests an infectious etiology owing to Borrelia, we studied the effect of penicillin and cephalosporin therapy on patients with lichen sclerosus who had responded poorly to treatment with potent topical corticosteroids. Fifteen patients with lichen sclerosus were treated for 3-21 months with either penicillin or cephalosporins in an observational study. Thirteen patients (nine women, four men) received penicillin, including intramuscular penicillin G benzathine suspension and/or oral penicillin V potassium, amoxicillin, or amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium. Two additional men received cephalosporins, either intramuscular ceftriaxone sodium or oral cefadroxil monohydrate. All patients showed a significant response, evident within a few weeks. Most striking was the rapid relief of pain, pruritus and burning. Four patients cleared completely, four experienced marked improvement, and the remaining seven had a favorable improvement of symptoms with incomplete clearing of lesions. We recommend treatment of lichen sclerosus with either intramuscular ceftriaxone every 3 weeks or intramuscular penicillin every 2-3 weeks. The addition of oral penicillin or cephalosporin presumably helps maintain antibiotic blood levels and may be a sufficient treatment in some cases.

PMID:

DOI:

10.1111/j.1365-4632.2006.02978.x

[Indexed for MEDLINE]

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow, Susan - what a fascinating find! 

geesh - up to TWO YEARS. THis brings to mind something about a somewhat rare illness that is also very skin itching painful ( a friend has had it some years ago before they discovered this solution  ..uh, can't remember the name right now.. but the "cure" was finally found to be long term antibiotics.

HOw cow... I'll refind the articles I've rad on that and share. 

• Posted

Also Nancy, there seems to be some effficacy to using St John's Wort.  Found this on this site from another person.  

To all who suffer from skin diseases and who may still be looking for a good source of information about potential applications of St. John's Wort to help with various skin conditions... There is a great paper written by German Dermatologists and researchers that recaps what research has proven so far. It is a little long, and possibly a difficult read for many, since it contains quite a bit of scientific terminology; however, if you stick to what you can understand, it should prove to be an excellent source of hope that explains how this wonderful plant might assist you with your particular skin condition.

I will tell you how you should be able to find the PDF of this great paper quite easily: simply type Topical Applications of St. John's Wort Silae in your search engine, and the paper should appear at the top of your search engine results. 

I have completely cured myself from a slightly different skin disease called Lichen Simplex Chronicus, also considered incurable and stress/immune-related, after only 6 months of St. John's Wort oral therapy. Nothing I tried in both conventional and natural medicine, was remotely close at being this effective against the disease, during 20 years of suffering.

• Posted

Found this interesting too:

Link between Lichen Sclerosus and Borrelia burgdorferi infection.

You can look that up.  Very scientific, but Borrelia burgdorferi seems to be related to Lyme disease, different strains for different parts of the country.

• Posted

Hi susan, this Topical Applications of St. John's Wort Silae is this an Oil or Pill?   I’m will to give it a try.  ??  I will try lookin for it in a health food store. 

• Posted

I couldn't find St. John's Wort Silae, only Hypericum perforatum. Don't know what to make of that....  But then I googled topical st. john's wort and cortisone, because I was running into concerns about SJW interacting negatively with other meds. I ran into some reports that sounded like they might be worrisome but I don't know for sure because they were medical jargon.... smile  But if SJW interacts negatively with cortisone meds, that suggests patients on cortisone meds need to go off them completely before trying the St. John's Wort. 

So my question would be, were you ever on cortisone meds before the antibiotics, Susan? Did you ever take the two meds simultaneously?  Thanks,  Andrea

• Posted

Hi Andrea,  I am not on antibiotics and only use Clobestol sparingly when I have insane itching.  I have been taking St. John's Wort lately and added that to the vitamins Nancy KB has recommended.  Have not bought all of them but most.  I am trying to stay as homeopathic and natural as possible in treating LS, plus trying a Paleo diet, which is a killer on all my favorite foods.  Been on it for 3 days and see no positive results except my LS has taken another negative turn.  Not sure why.  I'll stay on the Paleo for at least a week and see where I'm at with the LS.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Susan, This would be a miracle if antibiotics would cure or heal lichen sclerosus.  Where was this study completed. I live in Arizona.  Please let us know if decide to go thru it.?

Greatly appreciated for finding this information.  ❤️

• Posted

I immediately wrote to the center that did the study and my email was returned.  The doctor who conducted the study died in 2009 and his associate is now running an art gallery, if she is still alive.  

I just read on this site about someone who was cured or better managed with St. John's Wort.  Seems to be good for eczema, so why not LS.  I'm buying it tomorrow.  

Here is an excerpt from someone else's info on this site years ago:

if you want to access some recent scientific information about a very effective natural antibiotic and anti-inflammatory plant that combats many tough-to-beat strains of bacteria including the Methicilin-resistant strain of Staphylococcus Aureus, please type Topical Applications of St. John's Wort Silae in your search engine. If you then become interested in trying it, please make sure that you are not taking any medication that may interact with it.

I have completely cured myself from a slightly different skin disease called Lichen Simplex Chronicus, also considered incurable and stress/immune-related, after only 6 months of St. John's Wort oral therapy. Nothing I tried in both conventional and natural medicine, was remotely close at being this effective against the disease, during 20 years of suffering.

To all who suffer from skin diseases and who may still be looking for a good source of information about potential applications of St. John's Wort to help with various skin conditions... There is a great paper written by German Dermatologists and researchers that recaps what research has proven so far. It is a little long, and possibly a difficult read for many, since it contains quite a bit of scientific terminology; however, if you stick to what you can understand, it should prove to be an excellent source of hope that explains how this wonderful plant might assist you with your particular skin condition.

Since it is not easy to post links on this forum, I will tell you how you should be able to find the PDF of this great paper quite easily: simply type Topical Applications of St. John's Wort Silae in your search engine, and the paper should appear at the top of your search engine results.

• Posted

Thanks for all the info.  I had multiple tick and nymph bites about 7 years ago when a lot of symptoms showed up including GA and LS. 
    • Posted

Hi Frances, How interesting then the correlation between Lyme and LS.  If I may ask, how are you treating yourself?  Hope you are okay now.
  • Posted

I can't take antibiotics unless life saving; I get diarrhoea which persists even whilst  taking probiotics.  I believe there are herbs that act as antibiotics.

• Posted

There probably are herbs to act as antibiotics, but I fear they might not be as effective and as quick to cure as a real antibiotic. I'm trying to get cannabis cream or oil to mix with coconut oil to help with the LS.  

• Posted

Oregano oil is the one natural antibiotic I know of and I would suspect it's a more long-term solution than antibiotics, although I don't know for sure. Natural solutions just tend to take longer. Antibiotics are a silver bullet by comparison, but with side effects. My eighty five year old friend uses it on long flights overseas to boost her immunity to germs on planes, and she has never did come down with any plane borne bugs though she travels quite a bit. Natural antibiotics don't require the taking of probiotics like antibiotics because antibiotics wipe out all bugs in the gut, not just the bad ones, and probiotics are used to help put the good ones back, as long as you're not sensitive to probiotics. It would be worth asking a natural health practitioner to help figure out dosages of natural antibiotics and whether they would work in your situation.

• Posted

Daily I use coconut oil and rinse with water when I urinate.  When I feel an itch i get a Qtip and insert hydrocortisone invanicream 2.5 cream into my vagina.  This help a lot. When it’s real bad I see a Acuquncture•Homepathy she provides heat therapy “Moxibution”  I find relieve.   I also don’t use steroids, for me it aggravates it.   I adjusted my diet quite a bit.   ❤️
    • Posted

Thanks Terri.  Coconut oil seems to be pretty popular.  I'll get some and add that to my growing list.  😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.