Lichen Sclerosis and Antibiotics

Posted , 10 users are following.

I found this information and thought it was interesting and a possibility in trying.

Int J Dermatol. 2006 Sep;45(9):1104-6.Treatment of lichen sclerosus with antibiotics.Shelley WB1, Shelley ED, Amurao CV.Author information

Abstract

Current therapy for lichen sclerosus centers on topical steroids, particularly clobetasol propionate. As some evidence suggests an infectious etiology owing to Borrelia, we studied the effect of penicillin and cephalosporin therapy on patients with lichen sclerosus who had responded poorly to treatment with potent topical corticosteroids. Fifteen patients with lichen sclerosus were treated for 3-21 months with either penicillin or cephalosporins in an observational study. Thirteen patients (nine women, four men) received penicillin, including intramuscular penicillin G benzathine suspension and/or oral penicillin V potassium, amoxicillin, or amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium. Two additional men received cephalosporins, either intramuscular ceftriaxone sodium or oral cefadroxil monohydrate. All patients showed a significant response, evident within a few weeks. Most striking was the rapid relief of pain, pruritus and burning. Four patients cleared completely, four experienced marked improvement, and the remaining seven had a favorable improvement of symptoms with incomplete clearing of lesions. We recommend treatment of lichen sclerosus with either intramuscular ceftriaxone every 3 weeks or intramuscular penicillin every 2-3 weeks. The addition of oral penicillin or cephalosporin presumably helps maintain antibiotic blood levels and may be a sufficient treatment in some cases.

PMID:

DOI:

10.1111/j.1365-4632.2006.02978.x

[Indexed for MEDLINE]

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is amazing information!

Antibiotics hmm. I need to read up on this!

But I’m getting some topical St Johns Wort!!

Thanks so much for sharing this!

• Posted

You're welcome.  We have to be our own detectives.  I'm wondering how much more I need to lose of my body.

• Posted

Susan this is facinating , re the St Johns wort how are you ladies going to take it ? As you can get the liquid form ? 

I am certainly going to add this to my suppliment list .

I have also reduced my HRT that Ihave been taking since November 17.

Many reasons including my suspisions re LS connection, like most of the lovely Ladies on this site , I feel i have had this for years . But since taking HRT orally it has worsened and never gives any calm.

In Spain HRT can be bought as a gel rather than a tablet and a break is advised every 21 days .

I am weaning myself slowly off the tablet and fingers crossed no side effects 🙏

More interestingly my LS has calmed for the first time in months iI am getting les itch.

Now it maybe a councidence as i am allergic to lots of things but I am monitoring things everyday .

Will keep updating 🤗

Thank Goodness for this site and alll you wonderful Ladies you have kept me going 😘 

• Posted

Hi Susan,  So glad to hear things have calmed down a bit for you.  I just bought the St. John's Wort tablets.  I see there is tincture as well.  Not sure if the tincture is supposed to go on our genitals.  Too soon for me to see if there is any improvement.  Had to resort to the Clob last night. 

Yes let's keep updating one another.  I hope you are itch free for a long time. 

• Posted

Thank you , I forgot to mention I have managed to get some Emu Oil from Amazon and using that .  

Instead of ignoring the itch which has led to more symtoms I do use a very small amount of thr Betnovate if i get itchy and tingling . Day three of calm now 🙏

I have also just bought St Johns wort tablets . Got to give it a try at least 🤗

Hope your feeling some relief today xx 

• Posted

Thanks Susan.  Clobestol always gives relief.  I do mix it with Emuaid though and use the Clob very sparingly.  

I also bought Tumeric tablets.  I"m trying everthing!  

Keep feeling gooooood. xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.