Lichen Sclerosus and UTI

Posted , 13 users are following.

New to this forum. Does anyone know if there is a link between LS and UTI. I am taking meds for UTI at mo (First time cystitis 😔wink but it seems to have caused a terrible LS flare up (diagnosed 2 years ago) with inflammation and pain around urethra and vulva. 5 days in and no relief from meds still feeling like bladder is not fully emptying. Creams not touching it and am stressing as I have to go on a four hour flight this evening! Any help gratefully received.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,I had never had a uti until I was diagnosed with LS 8 months ago.Since then have had 3.The last one was after a biopsy to rule out cancer,it was awful with kidney pain that carried on after the infection cleared up.I do wonder if there is a link between having examinations/ procedures done with a uti. I am so sorry you are so uncomfortable.What creams are you using? I find in between using Clob, Emu oil is great in helping keep the vulva area calm. Good luck with your flight.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your response it's good to know there is someone out there who feels my pain! I am on 2nd set of antibiotics as the first tabs made no difference after 4 days in agony. Am using Vaseline as a barrier around area as Clob cream just makes the pain worse! Skin is so fragile and inflamed. sad  what is Emu oil? Glad you are keeping things under control.

• Posted

Hope the cancer results were clear
    • Posted

Emu oil is a natural by product from the Emu & is great for keeping the vulva moisturised. It works for me & lots of others. Some ladies like coconut oil,which I haven't tried.

Not had results yet but I'm sure it will be fine.

• Posted

Hi I will try and find this. I have tried coconut oil with a bit of success. Thank you.
    • Posted

Maybe you have a yeast infection from.antibiotics. I would ask for Diflucan, an.oral medication for yeast. If it gets better, You will know it was yeast from antibiotics.
    • Posted

I did get some treatment for yeast infection which settled things. I went back to doc today and got new meds for cystitis as last group didnt work. Still suffering with blood in urine now but at least I got through the four hour flight but it wasnt pleasant. Keeping fingers crossed this medication will work. If not back to my own doc who should do culture. Why do these things happen when you are abroad on holiday? (Greece) Aaagh!
    • Posted

Have  you   tried D-Mannos .  all natural works like a charm for UTI if it is e-coli 
    • Posted

Can you use the emu oil for the anal area as well? Or just the vaginal area.  I feel that I need something to moisten up the area exspecially during sex.   Where do you buy it?
  • Posted

hi i am feeling your pain with the cystitis, i am in my 70s and have been suffering all my life now i have a friendly doctor who tips me off , to protect mysself b4 you have sex take one antibiotic tablet two hours before, then put a small amount of gell up into your vagina, and wash yourself after by sitting on the loo and flushing it with clean water and splashing the water up into that area and cool it this has worked for me,  its a little bit of work  but women have to protect ourselves be carefull of steriod creams they thin the are causing further problems    
    • Posted

Hi thank you so much for your response. I am in my 50s and sadly sex has become impossible with the pain during intercourse. However I will take on board your comments. My doctor has prescribed oestrogen internal tabs but these have had little effect. She also recommended HRT but I am nervous about this due to cancer. Has anyone found HRT helps?
    • Posted

My Gyni has recommended I go on HRT but like you,am slightly wary about starting it.Will be interested to hear what others have to say. LS is a difficult condition to cope with.... not everyone is the same when it comes to dealing with it. 
  • Posted

I have suffered from UTI's for about three years.  I became immune to Cypro and any type of antibiotic that as an effect on these.  I am alergic to sulfa which is  suppossed to be the mostt effective means of treatment. This year alone I have had four UTI's.  Just now,  I am getting over diverticulosis AND a  bladder infection. I have not had  a problem with my LS but to be sure I am still using Borax spray to keep it away.  I had my utirus? removed and read online that the diver..... can attach itself to the UTI system and continue to create UTI's.  I'm 80, so I am not sure how long this can go on, I'm so full of antibiotics if I get anything and need an antibiotic it may not work.  Hope you are feeling better, hang in there, someone will have some news on this blog.  I have been led, with the help of this blog, to discover many things.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and concern and to all others who joined in this duscussion, really appreciate the help. I have had a few more UTIs but the LS seems to have settled and using E45 daily helps to keep the area less dry. I have read that menopausal women (me!) are more susceptible to UTIs due to lack of oestrogen which can affect the urethra and the lining of the bladder, consequently bacteria is more likely to enter the body. 

Hoping to get antibiotics tomorrow as suffering with low abdomen pain and back pain at the moment sad so off to docs with a urine sample in the morning x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.