Lichen Sclerosus and UTI

Posted , 13 users are following.

New to this forum. Does anyone know if there is a link between LS and UTI. I am taking meds for UTI at mo (First time cystitis 😔wink but it seems to have caused a terrible LS flare up (diagnosed 2 years ago) with inflammation and pain around urethra and vulva. 5 days in and no relief from meds still feeling like bladder is not fully emptying. Creams not touching it and am stressing as I have to go on a four hour flight this evening! Any help gratefully received.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have wondered the same thing. I very rarely got UTIs most of my life but since Menopause and LS, I have had a few. Just got over a bad one. I find also though that LS will cause false negative test results so unless you get a culture you casnt always tell if you really have a UTI but of course you can tell by the symptoms. I let this last one go too long before I started taking antibiotics. I dont like to take them for same reason some people have said here, you get immune to them if used too much. I also am allergic to Sulfa. I took Cipro for 2 weeks and I also noticed that while on that my LS improved tremendously, so how is that? Would low dose antibiotics continually help LS, Im wondering.
  • Posted

Yes, I do think there is a link, though I can not fully explain it.  I've had a period of time in which I had urinary tract infection all the time. It's just awful.  Too often had to be cured with anti biotics.  But that was when the fusing was still around the urethra. 

?What did help was - as soon as I felt that particular bladder urge to come on I started to rinse with water in which a small amount of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar.  Most often it kept things at bay and didn't develop any further into a full fledged bladder infection. 

?Now that the fusion has let go in that area, I haven't had a bladder infection in a long time. 

• Posted

That happened when I started to put a few pinches of baking soda in the rinse water in my Perin bottle.  The fusion ever so gradually disappeared.  But the urethra stayed sensitive for a long time.  That's why I interchanged these rinses - one time baking soda, then apple cider vinegar again.  

• Posted

Hanny, thank you. Does the vinegar burn? I use plain spring water, after trying the baking soda, and finding it burned. What do u use for barrier cream and or lubrication..I need to work more aggressively on these things..never have used clobetasol either.
    • Posted

You just put a small amount in the bottle with luke warm water.  Same for the baking soda.  Three pinches for the baking soda is lots.  For the vinegar a few teaspoons at most.

​For moisturizer I use coconut oil.  And I keep to my diet: no added sugar, no gluten, no alcohol, no caffeine and limited dairy.  

​It is very seldom that I use clobetasol nowadays.  And when I do it is the smallest amount.  

• Posted

I have had eleven UTIs in the last year. Today, is number 12 coming on. My GYN said it is likely due to the LS, but she has not said what the connection is. Is it due to the fusing of the inner labia, and the natural anatomical protection is gone? Anyone know? I am doing everything I possibly can to prevent these infections. Fortunately, they still respond to Keflex, and I "inherited' a good supply. What do I do when the immunity sets in? Scary.

Does anyone know the dose to take of the D-mannose?

I feel quite desperate. A urostomy bag is pretty extreme.

• Posted

I have had a hard time with UTI's all my life. Use of steroids can cause both UTI's and yeast infections. Make sure you have a UTI, because yeast infections can cause the same symptoms of a Bladder infection or it could be the LS at work in there as well. So make sure you are getting a urinalysis to confirm it is a UTI.

What I do to keep UTI's away is eat a handful of dehydrated cranberries or I take a cranberry supplement. I haven't had a UTI in over 2 years. If your inner labia are fused are you making sure to rinse after going to the restroom? That may help clear the bacteria from the urine from traveling back up your urethra. Also, make sure you are wiping front to back. Hope this helps!

Ann

• Posted

Doing all of the above. Will be more diligent. Gobble cranberries. Check yeast. Thanks
  • Posted

I second the cranberry pills--although Drs are saying cranberry doesn't make a difference, it seems to work for a lot of people.  Also, only drink water and empty your bladder as much as you can.  I cleared my last UTI like this.  I even set an alarm for 2 am so my bladder wouldn't get distended overnight. The Dr I went to swears UTIs are increased by soaking in baths--which we all do to soothe the LS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.