Life after bilateral TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 2 years ago i had LTKR, 1 year ago RTKR at 52! Left one caused a lot of trouble with bend, was manipulated twice. Right pretty good from beginning. Both are still very clicky, and not pain as such but definitely stiffness. Still on anti-inflammatatories as i still have trouble moving freely without them. Can walk for an hour maximum, stairs and slioes still cause trouble. I exercise regularly otherwise movement gets worse. Was really hoping it would be better by now and i could enjoy a normal life with no painkillers. Does anyone have the same problem with clicking & stiffness? Any other advice?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Had a TKR 14 1/2 months ago. Still have varying amounts of stiffness, always worse at night. Clicking but I only notice sometimes and yes, I still have pain. I exercise daily and just keep waiting. On cold days it is of course worse. I am relatively thin so no insulation.

• Posted

I have lost weight to help with it all but now its winter it doesn't do us any favours. Looking forward to the day it will feel more 'normal'.

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

i like you dont t have pain now. im guessing stiffness will be part of my life from now on..

think i may need to join a gym to work my thigh muscles in my left leg to try to get them strong enough to step up on a high step or anything higher than a normal step.

My surgeon said when stem cell ,gets perfected , it will eventually in most cases replace having to go through artificial knee replacement.. Im hoping that will be true when i have to replace my right knee.

• Posted

i hope you do manage the stem cell option. Must be better than TKR. Good luck!

• Posted

RIGHT TKR 8 months ago LEFT TKR 5 months ago. I was the opposite way around pain wise but suffer the very same outcome as you. so it must be a common thing, all be it is early days in my case

• Posted

i hope things are better for you long term, thinking this might be me permanently!

• Posted

The stiffness should subside if you keep the knee active. Gotta do that the rest of our lives or the knee will stiffen up again. All of those weird noises also go away in time...be patient.

This should help with the ROM issue...

ROM Work

...and this one for strength...

Muscle Rebuild

...and hang this on your fridge...

Reality

Time, work and patience are your tools. Good luck...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.