Life after gallbladder removal....

Posted , 155 users are following.

Hi,

I had my gallbladder removed 7 weeks ago, due to my gallbladder not working correctly. Although the op was laparscopic I was in so much pain I had to have an epidural. Anyway ever since the op I have been in pain, felt really sick and cannot eat!. I get excruciating pain up to an hour after food. Also if I lie down in the same position for too long and stand up that brings on the pain too. I have also found that I keep getting a bile taste in my mouth, excessive sweating and fatigue. I also generally feel 'under the weather' at least once a day if not more! After several visits to the hospital and clear test results they think I have SOD - a problem with the bile duct which may require a stent. Has anyone else had these problems after gallbladder removal and had a successful outcome? My life is a complete mess and I cant do anything apart from take pills, sleep and eat creamy food .. everything else hurts!

11 likes, 202 replies

202 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Trex, I asked my GP several times if there was another scan I could have rather than removal like the surgeon had suggested. I was told that the only way to be sure it was not cancerous was to take it out and send it to histology.
    • Posted

Hi, have you had it removed? I've been told the same thing. I had a growth 9mm in size and was told at 10mm it is best to

Remove in case it is or can turn into cancer.

• Posted

OMG! that says lot about your hospitals medical practice. Just because your gallbladder was not working correctly with so much technology and equipment available i cant beleive they said that and then took out the GB, Sounds like the old days when they used to do exploratory operations and take something out if they didnt like it. Yeah, i think you have SOOD (Sphincter of Odi Dysfunction) now.

Just because a GB doesnt work properly or theres stones in there - taking it out isn't the solution. Doctors dont look for the originating cause of it to deal with the root of the problem. Its like the saying or the analogy goes that: 'I have a really bad headache am i gonna lose the head ?!' its as simple as that.

If they can treat kidney stones they can treat GB stones - removal isnt necessary, or they can create an artificial GB. With todays technology nothing is impossible - they are just lazy and want to get their pay-cheque.

I would not fall for any excuse (unless it was a real medical emergency)

• Posted

This so-called 'trex' person (isn't that a type of lard, or something?) is obviously a complete idiot, and should be locked up.  It knows nothing.  It isn't a doctor, and has never undertaken any medical training at all, although has probably read plenty on the internet.  You cannot 'treat' gallstones.  They (who are 'they'?) cannot remove gallstones.  They are lazy?  Incredible.  PLEASE ignore this idiot.
    • Posted

Actually, I think you will find that more often than not taking the gallbladder out is a good solutuion, just that everyone can react differently depending on how severe it was prior to the operation i suppose. I normally wouldn't get involved in discussions online but this is an exception because I am having my gallbladder removed a week on Tuesday and please take note, i am 19 years old. I am sure that the doctors would rather not remove my gallbladder if they didnt think it was important enough. I had my first attack of extremley severe gallstones when i was half way through being 18, and i am not overweight at all as i weigh in at just about 10st at 5.3. I would like to know if YOU have had any problems mr trex or are just trying to be a know it all and are facing teh possibility of the rest of your life having to alter etc. 
    • Posted

I absolutely agree with you e99455.

I had my gb out a couple of months ago and I've not looked back since - if you're in excruciating pain why wouldn't you have it done! It's a no brainier.

I'd suggest 2trex is an "armchair expert" that has no more medical experience than you or I..... or to put it more succinctly as did Harry Callaghan in the Dirty Harry films - "opinions are like ar$€holes.... everybody's got one. wink

• Posted

Hi, just wanted to wish you luck with your op. I had mine removed 2 weeks ago and am already feeling much better. That awful pain has gone and I can eat more or less normally again having been on a virtually fat free diet since August because any amount of fat set it off. I get some nausea and have been sick twice but you quickly learn your limits! Rest up, take it easy and look forward to feeling normal again. :-)
    • Posted

Good luck with your surgery. My problems started when I was your age and I suffered badly with pain and colic over the years until I had my keyhole surgery 11 days ago. I'm now 52 and had various tests and medication over the years. I was told I had to much acid in my stomach and indigestion. I knew when I had an attack I would have to go to bed with a hot water bottle to the top of my tummy. I would have been in agony for up to five or six hours, shivering and feeling sick. Sometimes this happened twice weekly at its worst. So much time lost because of undiscovered gallstones. I only discovered I had gallstones when I had an abdominal scan for a gynae problem and was referred to hospital for the procedure to remove the organ which had caused me so much grief. I was very nervous about the surgery but the staff were so reassuring and I was in and out of theatre within a few hours. They even gave me the largest stone (4.5 cm) as a keepsake.
    • Posted

Hello, I had my gallbladder removed 2 days ago laprascopically. I had gallstones so large and so many of them that they had completely blocked off my gallbladder and it was dead. It was starting to shrink and wrap around the stones. I was wondering, did you feel a tightness in your stomach and side after surgery? This is my number one problem. I feel as if its hard to breathe sometimes because of the pain in my side. How long did it take you before you were able to be up and feel back to normal?
    • Posted

Once you have stones...they usually always come back. You don't need your Gallbladd. Trust me I know I was 2 when I had open heart surgery..22 when I got my pacemaker and now I'm 23 with no gallbladder. I'm able to eat again and drink water. Best choice I could of made
    • Posted

Hi Kristina00151.

Can I ask , how you are feeling now ? Has the pain eased now when you breathe ?

Only reason I ask is I am 8 days post op and feel fine apart from the sharp stabbing pain under my right rib area when I take deeper breaths. It doesn't do it when I lay on that side or when I am standing , but all other times is very sharp pains. I have follow up appointment in 2 days so will discuss my concerns then but wondered if this was what you had experienced ?

Many thanks

• Posted

Hey,

I had mine removed last week. Since then I've (probably stupidly) eaten fatty foods but I've been fine. From the moment I woke up the day after till now I've not had painkillers or anything. Had one case of the runs after my first sausage butty but had much worse since and been fine. Only real problem I had was pain from the gas they put in during the op. Then the small pains when moving.

I think in a week or so I'll be 100%! Suppose I'm a lucky one?

Chris

• Posted

Those symptoms sound like my pancreatitis attack that sent me to ER last September. Had gall bladder removed two days later. I would check with my primary care physician if I were you.
    • Posted

Let me ask you something. How do mechanics make money? Fixing cars. How do surgeons make money? Surgery. Ever taken a car in for an oil change that normally cost you 50 dollars and end up finding out that something else is wrong and will now cost you 1500 dollars? Then later on found out that there was nothing wrong or it could of been fixed cheaper? Do you have any idea how much a surgeon makes off a surgery like this and it's a really quick surery. Easy money in the bank.
    • Posted

Kristina I had my surgery a week ago.. and mine was the same as yours, infected and gangrenous, dead at not functioning... mind u I never had any previous indications prior to that night before surgery when I rushed to the hospital. After surgery for the first 3 or 4 days I got that same tightening feeling, I have found the more I move and walk around the better I feel and it loosens up. I only get achy at night before bed and I take 1 pain pill. It's been a week and I get up in the mornings and do light things, take a pain pill at night before bed, and it's working for me. Good luck with your recovery! wink

• Posted

Yes that's totally normal. I just had mine out 76 hours ago the same way. When they do it that way they fill up your abdomen with carbon dioxide so they can reach the gallbladder. As counter intuitive as it sounds move around as much as possible with a pillow over your stomach to use as a splint. The more you move the faster the carbon dioxide that they pumped in will move out. Try to pass as much gas as possible. All the air in your abdomen is what causes the worst pain the first few days. Also try to keep taking as many deep breaths as you can. It is painful, but it will help the healing process. Again, it seems counter intuitive but that's what's been helping me.

• Posted

And what exactly is your medical expertise, that you can make these bold statements?
    • Posted

It took about 3 weeks to get back to normal for me. I suddenly realised the stitch had gone and it was marvelous. You've had an organ removed. It will be painful for a while yet.

• Posted

Hi! I see you had your GB out 10 months ago. Did your problem with pain in your side resolve? I am having the same issue, almost a week out.
    • Posted

Laurenstar, I am having the same issue. What did you find out?
    • Posted

Not in the UK.... we have National Health Service so surgeon does what's best for patient... not to make money. They get paid regardless.

• Posted

This is so good to hear. I'm currently less than 24hr post op. Meant to be resting but can't sleep after surgery. The gas has been so far the worse pain but I am hoping that is stops there. Good to hear positives about this GB removal stuff!!

• Posted

Just skimming over your comment. One little bit of advice, don't overeat or eat large meals. Small meals and snacking seems to work a treat. I am taking Ox bile and pancreatin and it seems to really be easing the dull pain on the right side underneath the ribcage. Once before every meal or at least morning and before evening meal. Give it a shot. I almost gave up on remedies. I had mine removed last January. I took dairy and fatty foods out of my diet also but I believe the pills really make a difference. Let me know how you go...

Jenny

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.