Life after gallbladder removal....

Posted , 155 users are following.

Hi,

I had my gallbladder removed 7 weeks ago, due to my gallbladder not working correctly. Although the op was laparscopic I was in so much pain I had to have an epidural. Anyway ever since the op I have been in pain, felt really sick and cannot eat!. I get excruciating pain up to an hour after food. Also if I lie down in the same position for too long and stand up that brings on the pain too. I have also found that I keep getting a bile taste in my mouth, excessive sweating and fatigue. I also generally feel 'under the weather' at least once a day if not more! After several visits to the hospital and clear test results they think I have SOD - a problem with the bile duct which may require a stent. Has anyone else had these problems after gallbladder removal and had a successful outcome? My life is a complete mess and I cant do anything apart from take pills, sleep and eat creamy food .. everything else hurts!

11 likes, 202 replies

202 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Trex/@kaylesc ,

That's good Trex I didn't realise the healing time was reduced so much.

I don't know my vit D levels but I'm going to ask.

@kaylesc it will get sorted, if you know the name of the consultant call his secretary and bring the appointment forward. Go to your GP they can fast track appointments.

• Posted

Hi how are you today? I had the gastroscope yesterday, he just said that there was some inflammation and bile, he took a tissue sample for testing! The written report will go to the consultant for my appointment. I didn't have any sedation as it meant staying in the hospital longer and to be honest I've had enough of them lately. Not a procedure I would like repeat in a hurry though.
    • Posted

Hi just reading threw how did you get on with the gastroscope did anything show up thanks xx
  • Posted

hello, im awight, you awight ? ;-)

yeah, inflammation does cause pain, so the consultant will give you the full report,

how was the gastroscopy without sedation ?

wish you the best

have a nice weekend

• Posted

Hi ok thanks didn't realise that could be the cause,

Bloods again yesterday and then the consultant can start putting together the pieces!

The Gastro was more uncomfortable than painful, it made my eyes water, it made me gag quite a bit. Weirdly I could feel them insert the second rod and could feel the pinching when they took a biopsy.

I just wanted them to stop talking and get on with it although the whole team were lovely people. Would not want a repeat :-/.

Lovely weather again today I hope, how's that arm??

• Posted

yeah, lovely weather today, it looks like summer is here but not quite since the temperature is a bit on the low side.

They were once gonna do a endoscopy on me, i chickened-out and they gave me a 'barium meal'. The name sounded interesingly attractive i thought it was a nice meal which contained invisible barium only to find out i was drinking a very thick yoghurt which was actually yuk.

• Posted

...oh, the arm is getting better slowly, still cant flex the wrists enough to satisfy my therapist, dunno what they're gonna do next
  • Posted

Just had mine out last wed , i did not think i would be in so much pain. I hate pills at the best moments.

• Posted

Just an update was admitted again yesterday was really low and in so much pain I had too. Although the doctors are never welcoming... As if to say oh not you again! I will get to see my consultant tomorrow so going to discuss changing meds and re sending the referral as spoke to Leicester and they haven't got it! Just my luck ... Will things ever get better??

How are you all doing?

X

• Posted

Hi, Welcome Pipthedog, I think we would all agree how ill prepared we are for the operation! There seems to be a general consensus that we are not explained any alternatives to removal , healing time and pain, post operative on going problems. Just try not to push yourself too much, there is a lot of internal healing to do as well, good luck.

Hey Trex glad your on the mend with your arm, keep doing the physio :-)

Kaylesc, how are you today? Hope you do see your consultant today and hopefully he will give you some answers as to the pain and sickness. It is perhaps better to stay in and try and get it sorted! Sorry which consultant will you see today? Good luck fingers crossed for you X

I really hope this is addressed very soon, how can Gallbladder removal be such common surgery when people are left in a worse state then pre op. I read that one GP said 40% of her GB patients suffered post op complications!

• Posted

...yeah with so many people suffering the after-effects of GB removal surgery I am suprised that there is so many people with enough knowledge about not getting the GB removed are not questioning and pushing doctors about alternatives because in todays society there is so much intelligence, technology and resources that nothing is impossible
    • Posted

Let face the reality Trex, most doctors in hospital work on "Target Base"

1 hour GB removal is more profitable than thinking about alternative

I removed the GB,but I would recommend anyone who have alternative solution to remove the stone alone  , give it a try (nothing to loose)

Even if this alternative (Plan A) failed at that moment you can try classical option and remove GB.

But dont wast this option and use it ( dont listen to Doctors) give try if it is Available

Yes,  it is true removing stone alone before decade was very risky, but Now skill,technology....is totaly changed.

• Posted

Hi guys sorry I have been quiet I have been in hospital again

Yesterday Leicester hospital called and fold me the waiting time

For an appointment is 11 weeks ... I cant physically wait that long

If I have lost two stone already there will be nothing left if I wait....

So on the advice of my consultant and nurse I went to Leicester

A and E ... Luckily I'm now their new lodger and they are doing my procedure

Tomorrow ... Having a stent fitted in to my bike duct to see if it helps

Hope you guys are okay x

• Posted

I know Trex but I suppose people trust their doctors judgement until it hoes wrong hey!

Oh Kaylesc how you feeling? Have they done some more tests to find out the cause? Leicester are quick on the ball! Hope they have sorted your pain meds out as well .

Update ...I had letter regarding blood test results from Friday regarding my low calcium level which revealed I had low Viramin D levels. Apparently quite common and go to the chemist and get tablets. The receptionist said you need to get outdoors more, before GB surgery I walked the dog across the fields every morning. Gggrrrr!!!! Sorry for the rant had a bad night last night still awake at 4 am in pain, feels like I am going to be sick and the pain is in both sides!????? :-( consultant next week but not holding my breath!

• Posted

@kaylesc sounds like a narrowing of the bile duct hence the stent, anyways good luck with the procedure kaylesc, wish you all the best and hope the side-effects disappear completely forever (we never asked for it in the first place)

@boyzmummy yeah, vitamin D absorbs calcium, whats your vitamin D level ?

normal range is 80+, mine went down to 19, so the doc gave gave me 20,000 IU oil capsules to take 5 a day for 2 days (instead of the normal 1,000 IU) and it went up real quick.

Theres not enuf mild sun in this country and holidays are expensive but foind some these 20,000 IU capsules on the internet so i'll gobble them up and get all sun i need, lolz

• Posted

Hi Trex, it was 40!   Another lovely day after a frosty start today. 

Kaylesc are you have an ERCP? Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.