Life after p&a repair and perenium repair

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Just felt I should update you all. I had my surgery end of November. I know everyone is different but for me, now, this surgery has been amazing. I would honestly recommend it to anyone.

Now, don't all think I've sailed through this as I haven't! I've had water infection, intense pain, spent about 8 weeks walking like I had a poker up my bum! I also had a week around say 4 weeks post op when I wished I'd never had the surgery. I constantly worried in the early days that I was going to prolapse again too. Had a 'lump' at the entrance which has now gone, was TERRIFIED of my first bm. And sex!... Read my earlier posts... I cried! Worried I was putting on weight through lack of excercise...All the worries you read on here, I had them!

There is however hope after all this! I'm now so ecstatically happy I had the surgery! No more dragging prolapse, no more baggy/ post pregnancy gape down below, no more urine leaks, I can wear tampons again comfortably, sex is just wow... Amazing: I can feel EVERYTHING! I'm totally back to life before surgery but better! It may sound dramatic but it's made me feel sexy again and at only 37, that's a huge thing.

So ladies, you are bound to worry, stress, try to do too much etc but it's natural... Believe me, I drove my husband mental with my constant worry and witling about it... But it is so worth it. I don't want to cause roll of the eyes/ well bully for you in anyone but thought I would share a positive story for all you who are worrying etc.

Take care, and keep sharing on this amazing forum. And matron, you are the icing on the cake... I just hope you realise what an amazing, caring lady you are who has given hope and advice to so many, and humour when needed too!

5 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is wonderful news, thank you for sharing your positive story smile

Feeling positive now!!! Xxx

• Posted

It makes a pleasant change to hear something positive on here. As especially me 😉 end up posting doom and gloom.
  • Posted

Thank you for your kind words Resting, I'm now writing this with tears in my eyes but more importantly I'm so pleased you have written this fantastic post. I hope everyone reads it and remembers exactly what you have said. The ups and downs of prolapse surgery you write about are so real and happen to so many ladies but you are proof that there's life after surgery. So  if anyone is having a horrible day please read this post because there is light at the end of the tunnel. Resting you must stay in touch because you've experienced it all and your advice and support will be invaluable 😘😘
  • Posted

That's a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing and so reassuring to us all !!! Especially fab to hear that 'lump' eventually goes !! Take care xx
  • Posted

Yes I had my lump/bulge too and worried I had caused a problem by overdoing things. I had my TVT and anterior repair October and my heaviness and bulge have just disappeared this last week or so! I too feel fantastic now and would recommend the op.
  • Posted

Wow - thank you for posting this - I am sitting here worrying 5 days post op - Grade 2 Anterior and Posterior and SSF surgery. I have a bladder infection now - awful pain left leg and bum and I just self examine to see my womb at the entrance of my vagina and ugly looking stitches!  I am a 37 year old divorced single mum of two. I have 2 amazing children and a great career - my body is my only worry and this prolapse has knocked me for six.  I noticed a problem when I first had sex after my divorce (left my husband when my youngest was 6 weeks old and didn't have sex until 2 years later). Everything was a lot 'looser'.  Then I joined a gym last year and couldn't make it through an aerobic class without feeling like my insides where about to drop out.  It was only after my first serious relationship last summer ended as we couldn't really have sex and he was freaked out that he could 'see my cervix' that I saw a doctor and had the surgery soon after.  I am worried it hasn't worked.  How long until you started seeing an improvement?  I have a very busy job - when will I actually be able to make the commute to work again? I don't know how I'll be able to sit at a desk anymore?  Sorry for all of these questions but you seem to have just gone through it and I am just at the beginning where anxiety has taken over!!

Many thanks

KJ x 

• Posted

I'm just going to answer your question about how long before you see an improvement KJ. If you look at all the other ladies postings on this forum you'll see just how different we are. Recovery varies so much depending a lot on how much you rest following the operation. You have to remember you've had major surgery and the recuperation time is long. Even after 6 weeks you'll still experience some discomfort especially when sitting down but by 10-12 weeks you'll be thinking of possibly returning to work. You mustn't lift for 6 weeks and then nothing heavy, you shouldn't drive before 6 weeks unless your insurance company tell you it's ok and even then you must make sure your pelvic floor can cope with you doing an emergency stop. There's a test you can do to see if you can. You'll have to be patient as any of these lovely ladies will tell you. I've had the surgery and nursed ladies who have as well so I know what I'm talking about. Rest, rest and more rest and just as important, listen to your body.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron  -thankfully my work have been very understanding and I shall be working from home (from my bed) from next week. My company have offered to get me a car if I need to come in for important meetings but I think thats way off as I can't sit in a chair currently. I'm only 5 days in and judging by the very helpful comments on this forum i've still got a long way to go. I am hoping by 6 weeks I can return to work however.  
    • Posted

You may be ok in 6 weeks but only if you're very good and rest. 😘
    • Posted

I shall certainly try - my Netflix account will be a godsend smile 

• Posted

It will. You'll be able to catch up on all the programmes you don't have time to watch normally and there's this fantastic forum as well. There's always someone to 'chat' with.
    • Posted

Hi kj1234,

I'm so pleased that my post has given some of you hope and perhaps a little perk up smile

Your story sounds a little like mine. I knew something wasn't right after I'd had my youngest but didn't know exactly until I'd seen my consultant and then thought christ, I didn't realise it was this bad lol!

I will say though, Just be careful though of falling into the "everything will be alright at 6 weeks" trap. I got to this point and certainly didn't feel anywhere near back to normal, in fact, I got quite down in the dumps about it around this time. It takes AGES! But it is worth it!

Take care

Xx

• Posted

I'm so pleased you mentioned the 6 week stage Resting because it's unrealistic to expect to be recovered by then. 
    • Posted

Thanks  - my work do think I'll be back in the office after 4 weeks - this forum is making me think otherwise...might have to manage that!

• Posted

KJ that's their lack of understanding about the surgery unfortunately but please don't be put under any pressure 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.