Life of a dizzy person

Posted , 8 users are following.

This life is hard and lost.  Never knowing what each day will bring, waking up with anxiety and fear of how much and how long the dizziness, headache or anxiety will last.  Praying each night and asking for help for everyone and your self who has this condition.

Each day is hard for someone who is battling to be normal and forgetting what its like.  Crying for loss of just little things that are hard to do.  Sitting down to just relax and suddenly feeling the dizziness running through the entire body, then the fear and frustration coming with it and feeling so alone, even though there is room filled with people.  Sitting and watching others just laugh and move around you and thinking, it must be so nice to not being thinking about being dizzy and off balance,  to be able to sit and enjoy dinner without feeling like you are moving and might fall off the chair, you have to barely move to eat because your busy trying not to be dizziness.  Everyone at the table has no idea what your going thru just to eat, something so simple has become a chore at times.

You can no longer make plans, because you don't know how you will feel, so your world becomes much smaller.  You don't want to tell someone you'll be somewhere only to disappoint them with the phone call telling them your not well again, your dizzy, your anxious, your head hurts.  Your family and friends try to understand and be supportive, but you know they can't possibly get this, so your world become a bit smaller again.  You try to do things around your house, something as simple as vacuuming a floor becomes an enemy, why because as you move your self forward and backward withthe vac you can feel it starting and God only knows how long it will last after you've finished, will it be and few hours or days? Simply washing dishes becomes a dizzy starter, you standing there washing and looking out a window and you feel it, the floor is moving up and down, you know your doomed again.  Cooking dinner is another chore that it has become, moving around the kitchen, looking up and down,moving from one counter to another and guess what, dizzy again, how long will it last you wonder, how bad will it become.  Taking a shower has become another enemy, you know as soon as you enter the bathroom the anxiety and dizziness start, you get in the shower and you feel like the entire shower is moving, something as simple as washing your hair and shaving your legs become another chore.  By now you have so many chores of things you used to think nothing about, become things that worry you, that cause you anxiety, that anger you to do becuase of the fear you have.  The same questions everyday, will I be dizzy today, how bad will it be, how long will it last, will the anxiety take over, how depressed can i get, and finally, when will this end?  

Your life has changed so much and all the things you loved have become hard and a chore.  Your depressed and sad but you try so hard to look okay to the outside world.  You asked yourself, what did I do that caused this?  The constant thinking about this and trying to cure it become your life, sure you may have a few days a month that you feel better and you think finally I might be getting well, then the bad days hit and you can't remember days ago when you felt better, instead you become sad again, you become worried again, you think only about this again.  

You try to space out the things you do like vac, mopping, cleaning the bathroom, dusting, shopping, just so you don't get to dizzy.  

You have to now pay attention to what you eat, your loosing weight because your hungery but your nauseas or dizzy and you just don't feel like eating.  You think I'll be strong today and have a tiny cheese on a taco and guess what you pay the price for that.  There seems to be a price for alot of things you do.  

You look in the mirror and you see someone else, some who is tired.  You can look at your eyes and see the sadness, the tiredness and that the light you once had in your eyes, is dull and gone.  You look and feel older.  You try so hard to feel better, you tell yourself daily that your ok, but inside your body and mind feel different.  You try to smile, but you really don't feel like it,  but you want they others around you laughing to think your ok, so you do what you have to.  

You find yourself crying for no reason, your just sad because your not you anymore.  You try to be kind to yourself, at the same time your watching the world and how they are all normal and you pray for this, to no avail.  You wonder mostly is this my life now?  Will I spend years like this? What will happen when I'm older, will I be able to take care of myself?  These thougts are always there. 

By the end of the day, you go to bed, you lay there and think about tomorrow, you cry alone and quietly as you pray for help.  You hope you will sleep better tonight so you might feel better tomorrow.  Before your even awake completely, your looking for it, you feel your heart pounding and the anxiety coming, you again tell yourself your ok and today will be a good day, you must try to believe this.  Then the day begins and with that first slight dizzy feeling, the day is over any hope of a better day, the entire cycle starts again.

Living as a dizzy person is hard and the loss of yourself is even harder. There are days where you wonder if you'd be better off dead, but then you remember there is always hope and you try to pick yourself up and live your life the best you can. 

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I hope you get answers. It's amazing how many things can affect balance. Please keep us posted. 

• Posted

I know the feeling to well.noone can help.doc bills piling up with no answers.trying to go to work and hide it.last 2 weeks been home. cant get half way there when it's so bad tell my wife take me back home. probably lose my job after working my way up from the bottom for 28 years. cant think about a new job. cant get out the front door. See another ENT monday. maybe he will know something the others didn't. some ppl live day by day. this stuff has you living second to second. its tough. cant give up. someone has to know what to do. i am trying to find him/her and get the help needed.

• Posted

I've been dealing with this exactly and have been placed on disability due to the frequency and severity of my attacks.

• Posted

Hi Patty, how are you getting on? I've been thinking about you. 

I finally completed all my testing for my cholesteotoma and see my ENT on Thursday to get the results and hopefully get this damn surgery scheduled. So very frustrated with the system. I thought my insurance company was holding up the process but found out they had approved all the tests weeks ago and it was my new ENT who dropped the ball. It's been 3 months since I first identified that the symptoms had returned and that the cyst was regrowing. Even though my ENT has assured me that the growth rate wouldn't be rapid, I have noticed changes every 1-2 weeks. It's always frustrating to be dismissed so easily. The only person who really seems concerned is my audiologist who has been my hero since the day I met her. She says my eardrum looks very odd, even for me. 

Last time they went through my eardrum to remove the cyst. This time it sounds like an "ear peel" where they actually go in behind the ear itself and so are better able to determine bone erosion which is what most affects my balance. We'll supposedly know Thursday how invasive the cyst is. I just want it over and done. 

Please let me know how you are and I will keep you posted on me. Take care. -Mary 

• Posted

Hi Mary

I'm glad you got your testing done. It's to bad the doctors office messed up with things, maybe you could have already had everything done and be on your way to recovery. I guess it would be simple for them to mess up. I hope your results go well, Thursday.

I have been doing ok, I had the eply done last Monday and things have been a bit better. The constant falling feeling is better. I'm trying not to let every twinge bother me as much, I realized that every time I felt something I would immediately get scared and my stress and anxiety would kick in and the dizziness would get worse and last longer. I still feel it in the background but I'm trying so hard to let it float by. I was able to clean last weekend and go shopping, it was really nice. I went back to work today after a long weekend off and last night I noticed my head and neck hurting and during the day today I felt more floaty feeling so I think it is stress having to be at work, at least I hope it wasn't from doing a lot this weekend. Isn't it funny the stuff we have to think about and pray that things stay ok.

Let me know how things go with your results and thanks for checking in.

• Posted

You said that perfectly. I have good days and really bad days. My latest episode was stretching in bed Sunday and the room started spinning. Since then when I lay down on either my side or my back my head hurts and I feel dizzy but not room spinning dizzy. This is really scaring me. Does anyone else have this. I can't even imagine what it could be. I had an MRI and it was good no brain tumor or brain cancer but I do gave something with small blood vessels and am going for a carotid artery sonogram Thursday. I kinda feel like it is sinus but can't be sure.

• Posted

This disorder is awful. Regarding your laying down and head pain, when you stretched is it possible you could have pulled something? Did you get checked to see if the spinning is bppv? I went to the chiro about a week and a half ago and when I layed back the room spun and I panicked. It was bad and every time I would lean forward or stand and sit I feel as if i was falling backward. So I saw my ENT and he found it was bppv and I had the eply done and it helped a lot. Maybe that's what it is.

You mention the small blood vessel, what did they find on that and how did they find it?

I hope you get it figured out and feel better

• Posted

I thought the same thing about pulling something. I guess that could happen. I just don't like the feeling of lying on my head and getting the dizzy feeling. it is weird how it hurts in back and sides of head almost like it is an anxiety thing. I have also been on Metformin for diabetes and Lipitor for the past week. The doc put me on these because of the small blood vessel "disease" as he called it. I am borderline diabetic and my cholesterol is high but not bad and he said these two Medications would help with the blood vessels. The one thing that concerns me but not him is that it could cause as he put it "tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, strokes. Well thanks for that and thanks for your reply and concern. I am going for the carotid artery sonogram will keep you posted 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.