Lifting leg after TKR

Posted , 61 users are following.

Dear All my first time on here and I need your suggestions please. I am 15 days post TKR ( left). I had bad reaction to general and morphine and spent the first three days being sick. Eventually stopped and was let home despite only 75% bend and not being able to lift leg. I have been really really anxious since coming home and when I attended my first formal physio session I only had a 65% bend and still can't lift my leg. I am doing my physio three times a day and using ice etc. Besides myself with anxiety and crying all the time. Any suggestions to improve my spirits, raise my leg and increase bend please? Thanks Susanne

1 like, 111 replies

111 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Susiemah, don't beat yourself up - you've been through a really tough time and the general anaesthetic will have knocked you for six too.  I THINK most of us on here tend to have had spinals, which get  you up on your feet much faster (but I do have a vague memory of being sick after that, once).    I know there have been quite a few people who couldn't lift their leg for a little while.  We are all different and recover at different speeds.  You might find it useful, if you haven't already got one, to get a goniometer - which is a little plastic thing that measures your bend - you can get them from amazon, so that might help you see if you're making progress at home.  Regarding lifting your spirits - I'm virtually always on a permanent diet and  made my mind up that I was going to enjoy my recovery as much as possible so ate cake.  And chocolate.  And watched films.  My husband was my slave for the first three weeks and my wish was his command.  I'd got a stash of stuff to enjoy after the op 'because I deserved it' so it became far less negative and far more positive.  Now at 8 weeks post op the weight is dropping off and I'm only about a lb more than I was before.  But the main thing for lifting the spirits is sleeping (if you can't sleep because of pain, get painkillers) and making the best of it.  But it is normal to be anxious.  Anxiety is my weakness and I got very anxious about the dressing that looked horrendous on the outside and then started leaking, but all was well, and then I got anxious because I thought I'd got something trapped in the back of the knee but again, all was well, but anxiety is part and parcel of this operation I think.  You will be OK - it's very early days and week by week you'll look back and see progress.  It feels like it was years ago I had mine done now and I'm looking forward to 15th May when I go for the pre-op for the other knee, so be reassured you'll get through this and you'll soon see a light at the end of the tunnel.  Do feel free to vent on here too - we all understand!:-)))))

• Posted

I am going to start recording my progress on video. On day 3 a Physiotherapist said that my consultant would be so disappointed that I could not bend to 90 and she was pushing me past pain. I know they must push us but I was crying the whole time. Looking back, I was really vulnerable as still being sick with the GA and morphine and I don’t think her actions helped. She started me thinking I was behind everyone else from the start an abnormal in my recovery. Thanks for your support. 
    • Posted

Time after time I'm reading on here that people are feeling they aren't doing well enough for their physios and they're upset about it.  This seems awful - we all know that encouragement works so much better than making someone feel they're not trying hard enough!  I think maybe sometimes people need to get a bit tougher with these physios and point out they ARE doing their best, and discouragement doesn't  help!  But the problem is they are nasty when people are at their most vulnerable!  Just keep at it at home and you WILL get there and do your best to enjoy the time resting!:-))))

• Posted

Well said, I get that they are trying to motivate us, but it often has the opposite effect. I have been made to feel that I am not trying - it upset me as I have done my best, why would we not afer all we have been through.

​As we are in pain, highly medicated and lacking sleep, dependent on others and  unknowing of the outcomes, we are not at our best and highly vulnerable.

​Lucky we can chat to people who have been through all this! As oppose to youthful and fit physio folk who have no iidea of the journey we have had just to get to this point!

• Posted

Cynthia, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that if people are unkind it says more about THEM than you.  So don't let it get you down - YOU know you are trying, AND doing well.  Some are just slower than others - it's a fact and nothing to do with how much effort is going in!  So be proud of yourself and feel sorry for those physios who have no empathy.  :-)))))

• Posted

Wow can't believe your Physio was that brutal, mine said in the early days concentrate on what you can do, not what you can't do, I was gutted at first I couldn't raise my leg a week on I can .. time is wonderful keep going

• Posted

Early days, so don't be too hard on yourself. I have bad reactions to pain drugs and as my pain was off the scale after TKR, not a good scenario.

?I left hospital with 75 degree bend, though leg extended OK (after months of not). Once home, it all went backwards and knee is now not bending well at 5 weeks, but I'm just unlucky I guess and have other health conditions, Ive felt really weak and dizzy when I stand. But the lifting is fine now, could not budge in hospital and a while after, used a belt to raise leg onto bed etc, then one day, it just came back.This could be the case fo you, same with bend.

?I fear they will want to manipulate my knee very soon, but I'm hoping and praying for a miracle as I do not want more anaesthesia or risk more pain yet.

?I'm doing all the advised things within my ability - the dizziness is not helping my walking but I'm walking Ok at times. It feels like there is a house brick in my knee!

?Feeling down is part of the recovery - we have been through trauma, albeit controlled. Our bodies have gone through shock and stress. I have asked myself over and over why I put myself through this, as still to see any benefits, though my old knee was getting worse, I felt more in control.

?Crying is a good release and creates endorphins so you feel a bit better from it. I know my family worry when I seem upset, but I explained it is just part of the process. try to trust in the process and you will win through in the end. I will i know but it is a struggle believing it at times.

?Someone on here will always be there to listen and understand, when it seems no-one else does, as you cannot imagine how this processs feels until you go through it. Take care for now and let us all know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks Cynthia I know what you mean bu a brick in your knee. I keep asking myself the same question' why did I do this' but things were bad before the op. Doing my best as I am sure you are. It's good to speak to others in the same position. Thanks again. 

• Posted

Hi

You just have to think the worste is over and 15 days is very early stages. I was advised to ice for 20min and remove for 40min and keep on repeating for the first 2 weeks with total bed rest. I couldnt bend either of my legs to 75% at this stage nor lift them down from my bed... after about 6 weeks i had 120% in my left and 115 in my right. I found for the leg bend the easiest was to do more or less continuously whilst sitting watching TV and use your 1 foot to gently push the other back. and each day it gets easier. As soon as you can try ang get on a excercise bike you have to raise the saddle really high so you have to stand on a block and tip toe to sit. This helped me achieve early results. Stay positive and take each day as it comes

• Posted

I pushed the recumbent bike back two notches from where they were before the op, when I started.  I can still remember the first day on it - I did two or three whole revolutions LOL!  But I was SO chuffed to be making a start back on it.  Now I've gradually got the seat back to one notch closer to the front than it was before I had the op - suddenly realised that the best bend I can get on the other knee BEFORE it's operated on will be beneficial!  I never gave the bends a thought before the first op!

• Posted

I used my pup's leash ( hooked hand grasp part over foot) and pulled as far as I could for heel slides. My hubby got me a large whiteboard (slippery surface). I pulled with leash along the whiteboard. Hurt like heck. But I did it a few times a day.

• Posted

That's such a good idea!  I saw something like that on youtube where they put it round the ankle while sitting on the side of a backed chair, then up behind the seat the other side then on to the hand and it worked well!

• Posted

Hi welcome to the group which I personally have found very helpful during my recovery.  I am 4 weeks post bi lateral TKR and I am allergic to most analgesics including Morphine, Codeine, Tramadol and so my problem was finding something that worked for me.  I am now on Nefopam and Paracetamol which is helping.  You really are doing well and tears and doubt about how well you are doing is something we all go through.  I was at my physio today and she is so pleased with my progress after what she calls is my double whammy operation.  I still want to be doing better, I still have some pain and a bit of stiffness but please continue with the exercises and ice, ice, ice.  My worst time is still night time as I don't like sleeping on my back and find it difficult, but I know this will pass as well.  Stay positive and keep up the good work x

• Posted

A question - are most people sleeping on their backs?  I wasn't told to, and slept on my side (the side of the knee operated on) after the first night.  It was comfortable and no problems.  It took me to about 6 or 7 weeks post op before I could get comfortable on the opposit side though.

• Posted

I am sleeping on my back but only get about 3 hours at time. Can we sleep on our sides straight away? 

• Posted

No-one told me I couldn't sleep on my side and in fact on the second night in hospital I slept on my side and no-one said anything?????  I carried on sleeping on my side from then on with no problems.  If the other knee didn't wake me the operated one didn't and I tended to sleep through right from the start really.

• Posted

If you can sleep comfortably on your side, then it is likely OK  as the knee usually tells you if not happy. But I still cannot lie on side yet, and op leg has to be out of bed covers, cannot stand anything touching it.

​You are so lucky to be able to sleep at all, my knee hurts and aches as soon as I lie down!

• Posted

My OT suggested a king size pillow between my legs, using the pillow to cushion the leg and foot into alignment. I slept on my left side and my right knee is my tkr. Works great .just make sure the foot is supported as well as the knee. 
    • Posted

I did wonder if the reason some were told not to sleep on their side is because you've normally got the leg bent if you're on your side, and I know people are told not to put a pillow under the knee if they're on their back because the knee should be straight, so did wonder if it was going to make it harder to straighten if you slept on your side, but it didn't affect me at all.

• Posted

Possibly true. You do find people get quite different advice. I long to sleep on my side again, but it is currently too uncomfortable. My knee is stiff and struggling with bend though, straightening is the easy one. Total opposite of before my op.

​Main thing is to keep as mobile as we able.

• Posted

I can't sleep on my side either. I'm so sick of sleeping on my back and my knee is still very stiff at 10 weeks. I may try the king size pillow that someone suggested.

• Posted

Hi wasn't told to lie on my back but because I had 2 knees done at the same time it's just too uncomfortable to sleep on my side hopefully not for too much longer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.