Lifting leg after TKR

Posted , 61 users are following.

Dear All my first time on here and I need your suggestions please. I am 15 days post TKR ( left). I had bad reaction to general and morphine and spent the first three days being sick. Eventually stopped and was let home despite only 75% bend and not being able to lift leg. I have been really really anxious since coming home and when I attended my first formal physio session I only had a 65% bend and still can't lift my leg. I am doing my physio three times a day and using ice etc. Besides myself with anxiety and crying all the time. Any suggestions to improve my spirits, raise my leg and increase bend please? Thanks Susanne

1 like, 111 replies

111 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I am 4 weeks on and hate sleeping on my back have tried my side but because I had 2 knees done at the same time it is just too painful.  Have just bought the big pillow as advised will try and let you know
  • Posted

Hi Susanne,

I am three weeks post op. The first week I could not lift my leg. My PT would raise my leg and let go while I tried to hold it up. She said we had to wake the muscles back up. After the seventh lift I was able to raise my leg. It has gotten better ever since. I still have a lot of swelling and don't look forward to PT but I see positive results ever time I go. Hope this helped.

• Posted

3 weeks post op. So glad I found this. Wish I would have before my surgery. I have been so down and concerned that I am not where I am suppose to be. Reading all of your comments is making me feel much better. I start PT on Monday and I’m hoping I get a therapist that is understanding. I don’t need to cry more than I already have or have anymore anxiety attacks. I’ve been dealing with a nurse that has made me feel so bad.

I am going to continue to follow this site to get me through this because I really feel like no one understands what I’m going through.

• Posted

I am 4 day out from surgery. I have my first PT session in 3 days. I am worried because I can't lift my leg either. My knee is very swollen and stiff. I can bend it but 90 is hard. When I walk, my knee feels rough. I know it will get better, but know it seems like a long time away. I does help to share.

• Posted

Hi Roger, please don't worry too much, you will lift your leg in time. Four days is so soon in the scheme of things. The swelling makes it painful to bend and the huge surgery that you have just gone through takes a lot of getting over. We all get there, just do your exercises and ice your knee, time will take care of the rest. And don't let the PT bully you, if it hurts too much, tell them you can't raise it or bend it as much as they want. It's your leg! Good wishes, hope it goes well.

• Posted

I am 4 day out from surgery. I have my first PT session in 3 days. I am worried because I can't lift my leg either. My knee is very swollen and stiff. I can bend it but 90 is hard. When I walk, my knee feels rough. I know it will get better, but know it seems like a long time away. I does help to share.

• Posted

Roger  and Denise believe it or not my post was 10 months ago and 5 weeks ago I had my right knee replaced. So, I am back at the start. The good news is I can lift this leg straight from surgery and so it shows, same surgeon, same person different outcome. It took me 6 weeks to lift my left leg and then it lifted like it had not had a problem. 

Keep going, I am down and struggling again but I have the benefit of looking and feeling my left knee and how much better it is and I know my right one will get better. I feel doing your physio, walking and then lots of rest, ice and elevation to reduce swelling is the way to go. I did too much housework etc last time and couldn’t bend due to swelling. 

My my mantra through this ordeal is ‘ all will be well’ and it will. 

• Posted

I'm so glad to hear of your better outcome. Your words have helped encouraged me. I have 2 small children, and I am on my feet a lot. The swelling is so hard to keep down. My physio is still 2 days away. Hope I can get swelling to get better.

• Posted

Went to my first PT appt today. She does feel that I am a little behind at 4weeks but she was very positive and encouraging. It truly does make a difference when you have a therapist that is compassionate and caring. Still have my melt downs but working on staying positive. I’ve read that some people experienced depression and starting to think that may be part of the problem. Not the type of person to stay home much. Always on the go. Hopefully as I start to get out more that will get better. 
  • Posted

So glad to have found this thread.  I had TKR last Thraday which puts me 5 days out.  So much swelling, I cannot lift my leg and it drops if I do not hold it.  I can walk short distances with a walker but am very clumsy at it.  And when I first start I can barely put any weight at all.  I was so discouraged and then a family member suggested I try to find a forum, and here this is!  I only was given 80 5 mg pain pills for the two week period, so am trying to make them last.  Hard to decide which time is most important... nighttime or during exercise and walking.  I have been home for two days and gone through almost a third of my pills already.  Very painful to try to move around with so much pain.  I have my first PT tomorrow and not looking forward to it but I am so encouraged by the many positive responses here.  Thank you.
    • Posted

I had TNR the day before yours. The swelling is bad. I do get around with walker ok, but when I first get up, I have to wsit a moment. Tomorrow Is my first PT. I'm not looking forward to it either . Still can't lift my leg. But I am having my son help, by lifting my leg up and down for me. I figure, if I try ,with help, then eventually I will do it myself. The thing I'm neglecting, is elevating my leg. Starting to do that more now, with ice. Hang in there. We can do this together.

• Posted

I can’t take painkillers, so after the first two days in hospital with morphine iv I came home and did without. You can do this, you are stronger than you think.

Once you have lifted your leg on your own, you’ll be able to do it all the time.

Its not easy, but I promise you will get there. 

• Posted

I am planning on taking my pain meds before my PT... good luck to you today and thank you for your response.  It is good to know I am not the only person dealing with these issues...
    • Posted

I took my pain meds as advised, but then stopped yesterday and started using Tylenol, which works pretty well, so at least there is that available.  Glad to know you were able to go without, may be hope for me yet!
    • Posted

There’s always hope, but you don’t need hope, just determination:-)
    • Posted

I saw my doctor yesterday. He had me change my PT appointments. I postponed them for a week. He said I have to rest more, and elevate the leg more. The swelling would make PT ineffective, right now. I hope things go well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.