Light at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been taking mxt for 2 weeks. Am taking next dose tonight. Was really sick and queezy for the most part of the 2 weeks, but it is beginning to subside now. Will soldier on and see the outcome. It is annoying but I suppose it will get better.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Fussybag, why are you taking MTX?  What dose are you on?
    • Posted

Hi rhere. I am taking mtx for RA. Started off on 4x2.5mg for 2 weeks then was supposed to go on 6x2.5 for 2 weeks. Unfortunately I was physically sick after the 2nd dose, doc cut me down to 3x2.5. They may take longer to get into my system but if they suit all the better. x
    • Posted

What time of day do you take it?  I take mine at around 5pm and now take the folic acid at the same time.  I have written this elsewhere but,  after a few months on MTX,  I suddenly started to feel very strange when I took it, as though I was about to pass out.  My Consultant asked me to try taking the MTX & Folic acid at the same time.  It appears to work and I no longer feel so ill.  I know he wants to increase the dose but I can't see that happening in the near future.
    • Posted

Take it just after my tea about 6. Take the folic 2 days later. I am on 8 other tabs for various condition and doc wants me to persevere cause mtx is a buddy tablet. Gets on with all tabs. Going away soon so am hoping I can progress so I wont feel sick on holiday x
    • Posted

I read, can't remember where, might have been an insert that the Pharmacy gave me, that you should take it on an empty stomach, then have food an hour after taking it.  They seem to have changed the recommendations on when to take it.

I hope you have a good holiday.

• Posted

Hi there. I've been reading your conversation and can only offer the following tips?advice. I've been taking Mtx about 2 yrs now, first as a tablet and now as an injection. It does taking a while for your body to get used to it and there are unpleasant times to cope with but it's does usually get better and the benefits to your RA symptoms are worth it. I was told it's best to take at night if possible as you don't notice the nausea etc when you're asleep. Also don't take  folic acid on the same day....interfers with absorption. Hope you're feeling stronger and more like you're old self soon.
    • Posted

Regarding the folic acid, I was told not to take it on the same day until very recently, when my Consultant told me to take them together because of the adverse reaction I had started to have when I took the MTX
    • Posted

Then I'd say follow your consultant's advice as they are the experts. Try taking it before bed though to see if that also helps.... worth trying ! 
    • Posted

Know what you mean. I suppose any tabs knock you a bit sideways at first. Willpower is needed for most things but it is nice to hear most people say it is worth it. Thanks x
    • Posted

I am fortuante that I have never suffered from sickness with any of the drugs I take but I do occasionally suffer from feeling as though I am going to black out any minute.

I was recently referred to the MaxFax people and the receptionist asked me why I was on MTX, she also had RA [I don't] and had been taking MTX for 20 years., with very few problems.

• Posted

So dont mind me asking, what are you on it for. I know you mentioned you had 3 auto immune things x

• Posted

I take it because I have Cicatricial Pemphigoid, now known as Mucous Membrane Pemphigoid.  It's a skin disease.

I also have a rare form of Uveitis and recently developed PMR

I don't mind you asking!!

• Posted

We ought to write a book!!!!!!! I have diabetes, TIA attacks, High choles. and blood pressure and melasma, and now RA. Aren't our bodies wonderful lol xx
    • Posted

Absolutely!  I didn't bother saying I have high cholesterol and Blood Pressure too.................but it could be worse!!
    • Posted

Definately. Hubby says to call it Medical Mystery Tours hee hee x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.