Lightheaded again

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, it's me again.

I am still on 7.5 after going down from 10 to 5 and back up to 7.5.

I had to take me car to garage two days ago and had to hang around for an hour. I felt my anxiety come back and I have been lightheaded on and off since. I don't know if the anxiety causing it or the withdrawal/start up effects. So fed up with this rollercoaster, I know I caused it myself and I'm really annoyed with myself for messing it up. In need of reassurance for sure.

Hope you're all doing ok.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there - I wonder if what you are experiencing is hyperventilation making you feel lightheaded and dizzy. I also struggled with this for a long time and after much searching I realised it was just that I was hyperventilating and apparently it is VERY common with anxiety. So when you are feeling nervous or anxious you tend to shallow breathe and breathe too quickly, meaning not enough CO2 is staying in your system (cause you are blowing it all out) and therefore it causes you to feel lightheaded.

What really helped me with this is doing daily slow breathing exercises (download the 'Calm' app and use the slow breathing tool). Try to see if this helps - it definitely did for me. Also - this YouTube clip is really helpful at explaining how anxiety causes dizziness

Hang in there - it will pass. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Sorry to confuse, not using nickname anymore Lina
  • Posted

Hi again - sorry not sure if my last reply went through! it said that it was being moderated but never showed up. What I had written is that the same issues happened for me - and it was 100% anxiety. It was due to constantly hyperventilating. You may not think you are doing it - or even are doing it consciously, but when anxious we tend to shallow breathe and breathe too fast - meaning not enough CO2 is getting into our system. Not enough CO2 to the brain then makes us light-headed and dizzy! It is apparently very common. I would strongly suggest doing daily slow breathing exercises. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, breathe out for 6 seconds, hold for 2 seconds and repeat - after a few minutes you should actually feel a bit better. There is a great Youtube clip which explains how anxiety causes dizziness - just search "Dizziness, Lightheadedness & Off Balance - Anxiety Symptoms 101" and its the first result that comes up. Don't worry, it passes!!! It is just a sensation. 

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply and explaining all of that. Did the dizziness happen to you when you were changing citalopram doses and if so, how long did it last for?

I think my anxiety has increased with the migraine but it's coping with that and the withdrawal /increase effects of citalopram that's the problem, or whether if in fact the migraine is also an effect of the citalopram increase...

• Posted

The dizziness has been prior to taking citalopram, however its increasing at the moment because I am 1.5 weeks into starting citalopram so my anxiety has increased and therefore so has my shallow/fast breathing!! causing me to feel light headed and dizzy quite a lot. 

I think we are all guilty of over analysing symptoms with anxiety (and why we are all coming to the forum).. I would defiantely recommend you do some guided relaxation meditations, and see how they make you feel - if you notice the dizziness subsides and so does the headache, then you can probably be sure it's the anxiety thats causing it. I know for me - all the physical symptoms I think I have subside after doing a nice long mindful meditation and slow breathing exercise - but dont worry if it doesnt for you straight  away - takes awhile to really settle down.. let me know how you go! 

• Posted

Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.. Having problems with Internet connection at the moment.. Regards

• Posted

Hope you're feeling a bit better today, Lina. I'm at week 4 of up dosing to 10mg and am feeling much better. Just spreading a bit of good news here, you'll be okay, but it does take time.

Still have the occasional meltdown but it's weird, it lasts for an hour or so and then am OK again, it's a very short wave or a 'neuroemotion' as it's called on another site. Also, I still seem to suddenly get these adrenalin spikes which wake me up around 4 or 5 am. But am managing to breathe, calm, go back to sleep.

Hope today is a good one for you xxx

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Sounds like your feeling better, that's great news.

Not sure what adrenalin spikes or neuroemotion is. Perhaps that's what I mean by feeling weird. Had a migraine for almost five days, on right side of head, now I'm getting it on the left side. It sometimes does that and I've not been taking so many painkillers so perhaps that's why. Still on 10mg, cit. I hope that the effects of the increase are temporary and hoping 10mg is not too much.

Great to hear your feeling better x

• Posted

Hey Ruth, 

Yes I had the exact symptoms you are describing. The spikes would come and go. It’s like an andrenalein shot. They would wake me up a few times a night. And during the day I would go for a walk and it would help greatly with them. Mine lasted for 5 months but they dissipated slowly which gave me hope. I also am at 10 mg and I just completed 7 months today. Yes I too had the occasional melt down. It’s gets better and better. Please hang in there. I did meditation off of Utube which helped me. Rebekah Borucki and her breathing techniques. Try it! Keep me posted. 

Will😎

• Posted

Thanks Will, generally feeling a lot better, am at a month today and realised that in the next month, will feel even better. Such a good realisation!

I will check those breathing techniques out.

Ovrr the last two nights, I've slept straight through for 7 hours.

This is amazing! So good to get a solid sleep, thought it would never happen again.

Have a great day 😊

• Posted

Hi Ruth

It's great to hear that you are well on your way to recovery and managing to get a good night's sleep at last, makes a huge difference. I'm 15 days in and hopeful to start feeling better soon, just have to fight off some negative thoughts. ?

• Posted

Hey Lina, yes, you will start to feel better, it will come. Its taken me three months of increases to start to feel OK again.

Meant to answer you before. 'Adrenalin spikes' (don't think that's the actual name for them) are when you wake up suddenly in the night, and you feel really charged with energy, not especially in a good way. Might also have palpitations a bit. It feels like youve had a coffee in your sleep. Really weird, probably is something to do with adrenals suddenly pumping out adrenaline. Quite hard to fall asleep after. 'Neuroemotion' is a word I read on another forum., surviving antidepressants. They talk about those sudden surges of emotion that seem to come from nowhere, which seem over exaggerated. Eg the other week, my dad started going on about something to do with my brother on the phone. I'm usually very patient with my elderly dad, but I couldn't handle it and hung up and threw the phone across the room 😲

Thankfully this has all started to calm down a lot now.

Was 4 weeks into increase this Saturday, and I definitely feel the difference from increasing to 10mg. I'm still having the odd day here and there where I feel weird and a bit out of it, but thankfully these are receding.

Honestly, you'll get there. 10mg is very likely to be enough. It's unfortunate, especially with up dosing, that it can take a bit longer to work than the first time round. I think that's the hard part, because it feels like it's not going to happen. But it will. Sending you positive vibes and good wishes x

• Posted

Hi Ruth

Thanks for explaining all of that to me. I've woken up with palpitations more than once and have definitely have experienced the neuro-emotion thing too.

I've taken a look at the website you recommended and it's great. A lot of information on there.

I've had this weird experience when going out to a restaurant when after a meal if I eat dessert, I get this odd sensation like a surge of something and I feel panicky. I usually have to take a walk to the loo just to get out of there for a while, don't know if it's anxiety or what, hard to explain. Any ideas?

Thanks Ruth, hope you have a good day?

• Posted

Could it be a sugar rush?

Dessert could make your blood sugar rise all of a sudden, and then rash a bit, which when you're already sensitive, could make you feel weird.

Have a good day 😊

• Posted

Thanks Ruth

Yes it could be, just over thinking things as usual

Hope you are doing ok.

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.