Lightheaded again

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, it's me again.

I am still on 7.5 after going down from 10 to 5 and back up to 7.5.

I had to take me car to garage two days ago and had to hang around for an hour. I felt my anxiety come back and I have been lightheaded on and off since. I don't know if the anxiety causing it or the withdrawal/start up effects. So fed up with this rollercoaster, I know I caused it myself and I'm really annoyed with myself for messing it up. In need of reassurance for sure.

Hope you're all doing ok.

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

please remember that every time you change your dosage ,you will feel side effects and try to take your medication at the same time every day.This will help you allot.Also if you want to change your dosage,please let your doctor know before you change your dosage
    • Posted

Hi Marsh

Thanks for your advice. I know I can expect start up effects but quite honestly I don't think I can feel any worse than I am now. I was starting to think that I was never going to feel normal again, I had to do something, been like this for months. My anxiety is manageable compared to the withdrawal/start up effects that I am getting, it's these that are causing anxiety. If I didn't have them I could cope. Ironically, I can't remember ever having problems when I first started taking citalopram. What I have noticed after taking 10mg today is my upper back aches, wasn't there before I increased.

Hopefully I will settle back on 10mgs. I'll give it a few weeks and if no improvement I'm going back to doctor.

Many thanks, best wishes?

• Posted

Hi Lina,

It might put your mind at rest a bit more, now you have gone back up to 10mg, because you know it worked before.

Don't be discouraged, there's no rush to taper. All in good time, and if you decide you want to.

One thing that seems to come up in posts on this forum a lot, is that often people's second or third experiences with this drug are not like the first time. It can take a bit longer to settle in, people have side effects they didn't have the first time etc.

Now you've reinstated original dose, it's just a waiting game, really. And you most likely will have some start up effects, every increase seems to produce them, it's not a bad sign. Bear in mind they don't often come straight away, it can take a week or more for them to kick in.

Am two weeks on 10mg. So, am going through same.

Hang on in there.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

You're right about my mind being more at ease now I've gone back to original dose.

I do hope this will work now, it's been a horrible journey so far. The giddiness has been the worse for me. The horrible feeling of going to the supermarket and wanting to get out of there quickly in case of feeling giddy. I used to be a careful shopper but now I rush around throwing everything in the trolley just so that I can get out from there. It's costing me a fortune.

I hope you are feeling better since your increase. I'll be interested to follow your posts.

Best wishes

• Posted

Thanks Lina. I do feel better over all. But it's early days, and I'm counting on a long haul, really.

I'm a bit tearful, and my stomach is so gurgly.

I'm noticing a pattern in that I'm worse in the mornings, and better if I can get up and out and talk to people. However, when I look back to how I felt in June, when I really didn't want to leave my room and was actually so p****d off at the hot weather, I have definitely improved. Perhaps I would have improved anyway.... I'm just looking forward to feeling like I have stabilised. The good days outweigh the bad, but I'd like the bad days to be a distant memory, and sooon!

• Posted

It's uncanny Ruth, some of my symptoms are just like yours. I too have a gurgling stomach even after eating a meal and I'm tearful at times.

The hot summer was horrendous for me too, I didn't want to go out in it. Stayed home with fans running in every room. Hot weather really affected my anxiety. I go out in light weight clothes most of the time. If I get too hot I feel ill.

Hopefully we will both feel much better by Christmas. 🎅 🙏

Today I got up feeling a little light headed but I got on with housework, cleaning, cooking, washing and ironing. I felt much better after but I'm having a rest now but I know once I get up if will be like starting all over again, that early morning heady feeling again. 🙋 🌻

• Posted

Hi everyone

I'm day four of my migraine and am so confused right now. Apart from headache, eyes aching I am giddyish at times. I'm on day 11 of increasing to 10mg and I suppose that could be still causing the giddiness. I try to carry on doing what's needed to be done but it's a struggle. Sorry for the whinge. No one to talk to about it. Hope you are all coping OK.

Best wishes. Leanne

• Posted

Hey there, hang in there, it gets better. I'm nearly at 4 weeks of 10mg and the light is beginning to come back. Still have occasional stressy days, when it actually feels rather like my brain has gone out of control, but overall, much much better.

Honestly, your symptoms are the result of increasing and increasing again. Same happened to me, over June July and August. Wasnt until the last three weeks that I began to feel like I'm getting some benefit from being at 10mg.

Youre going to feel better, it's just horrible whilst waiting. Seriously, try not to increase any more. Your nervous system is sensitised when you cut dose and then increase, and it's a waiting game.

• Posted

Hi Ruth

So pleased that you are starting to feel better, it gives me hope and no doubt others too. I think the migraine has just thrown the spanner into the works causing some anxiety. Tinnitus has been a nuisance also, really whooshing away.

Yesterday, for the first time I took a shower with a clear head since messing around with my dose weeks ago. I noticeably felt better 2 hours after taking my med at 4pm, I felt like my old self for a while but the migraine came back later that evening. It felt like a glimmer of hope and it felt great. Today I've been muzzy headed all day, I ruined tea trying to rush it so that I could lay down again. I think I need this med more than I thought but I'm staying on 10 mg. Hopefully tomorrow my migraine will have gone so I know what is what. Sometimes they go into a fifth day though.

Thanks for the reassurance again.

All the best Ruth

• Posted

I have just realised that its you Lina, you and I seem to be going through similar. I know for a fact that my migraine is caused by dose changes, and like you am very dizzy and nauseaus at the moment. I get hemiplegic migraines which do not always give me pain in my head, but my head and neck at the moment on right side hurts alot. So your not alone in this and both of us are going to be ok soon. X
    • Posted

Hi Paula

Sorry for confusing you and anyone else. It must be my state of mind why I stopped using my nickname. Perhaps I'm losing the plot lol.

I can't imagine what hemiplegic migraines are like, sounds very scary though. I hope you are feeling better than you were a couple of days ago. I know you've been through a lot from reading your posts.

I hate this dizzy feeling. I'm hoping some of it will go when my migraine goes. I'm like a hermit at the moment. There's so much I want to do but can't. I look around at everyone going about their business and cannot understand why I cannot do what they are doing. Even my 98 year old neighbour is still going to the cinema and dining out lol. I asked her what her secret was, she said dark chocolate, all her life she's eaten it.

When in this situation you have too much time to think and that's my problem, over thinking things. I keep thinking about serotonin syndrome because I wouldn't know if I have it or not. I've been taking paracetamol for my migraine and it feels worse after taking them. It could also be me over thinking again. I read somewhere that paracetamol can increase serotonin levels so it stuck in my mind.I

Hopefully tomorrow my migraine will have eased. Hope yours does too. Thanks for replying.

Take care ?🙏

• Posted

Lina, how long have you had this migraine? Do you get any neurological symptoms with it? And does it feel like you are going through different stages of symptoms? The reason I ask is because alot of people mistake tension headaches which can be extremely painful as migraines, and if I am not mistaken am I right in saying you have had this attack for quite a while? there is a migraine forum on here that I used to belong to and found it really helpful.

My type of migraine mimics strokes, used to scare me, no longer does, I just have the after effects now which can take anything from a week or more to disappear. I try to stick to one paracetamol rather than two and avoid taking any if I can, It seems to be the safer of all painkillers.

• Posted

I forgot to mention, the first thing I do when a bad head comes on is press certain pressure points with a tennis ball to get rid of any tension(I have a chiropracter friend who has given me amazing tips) and can actually get rid of one. Deep tissue massage is the best, I have thai massages, I cant recommend them enough.
    • Posted

Hi Paula

I've had this migraine for four days. I haven't woken up with a headache today so that's a good sign. I've had them for years and they usually last for four days sometimes five. Always top right of head. They affect my eyes, that's when I can tell it's starting, vision not so good . I used to be a lot worse with them than I am now. I'd have to stay in bed for the duration but I manage to pace myself these days and I'm not sick with them any more. I too try pressure points and they do help, found them online. I wondered if my recent one was a tension headache because they can last for several days too. I have been wearing the wrong contact lenses for a fortnight due to a mix up so that may have triggered it.

I tried migraine tablets years ago but they didn't help, I think I'm sensitive to a lot of meds. Even paracetamol makes me feel sick if I take two.

Hopefully when I stabilise on 10mg Citalopram a lot of my symptoms will improve also.

Thank you so much for your help and support Paula. I hope you are feeling better today. x

• Posted

Hi Lina, I hope your feeling much better today, it sounds very much like its your wrong contact lenses that may have triggered your migraine like you say.  I know what you mean about paracetamol, my heart goes out to you suffering with these, a lot of people have no idea what its like, the neurologist tried to put me on gabapentan and I refused am so relieved I did now.  I still have a dull head, and my right side is very weak at the moment, pain in my face since the numbness wore off and parathesia down my right side, drives me nuts lol!  hang in there with the citalopram, for future reference if you switch does try to do it in small amounts to avoid triggering your head.
    • Posted

typo meant to say if you change doses not switch does (oooops)
    • Posted

Hi Paula

Sorry to hear you're still suffering, how long do those symptoms last for? Was it brought on by the increase in citalopram?

Migraine gone but muzzy head still there with light headedness at times. Tinnitus also raging. Felt so low yesterday, tearful, more anxious than usual and so fed up. Am on 12th day of increase was hoping light headedness would go by now.

Internet connection keeps tripping out most of yesterday and today, using phone for this but too small for texting.

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Take care Paula x

• Posted

Hi Paula

Just wondering how you are and hoping you are feeling better since the last time we spoke. My migraine has gone thank goodness, managed to go out yesterday after a week indoors, had to push myself though.

Take care ☺

• Posted

That's good to hear that you managed to get out, a week is a long time!  Am getting there, just very tired and my leg will not stop buzzing away, its improved though.

Thank you for your message Lina, you take good care of you too smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.