Like convincing my therapist to continue therapy

Posted , 5 users are following.

It´s often said that you should talk to the therapist about the relationship and if there are things that doesn´t feel good in therapy or if there is something to change.

So I did and I didn´t have any specific critique but wanting my T to express more understanding and to focus on things I tell her, not just rush into solutions or the "next step" in things.

I like talked and talked and of course she added some comments to it but now afterwards I just feel it was like convincing her to continue therapy. It was not that she had said we should quit but she earlier said she was a little hesitant about being the right therapist for me.

I did much of what she should have been doing, talking about alternatives, showing that I also appreciate what she´s doing, I tried to be considerate in what I told her and so on.

But afterwards I just feel she doesn´t care, she didn´t made any effort to show that she wants to adapt, even if she didn´t say she wouldn´t adapt. It was like convincing her to continue therapy by showing I can accept different things and put it in a perspective.

I really felt like e-mailing her today and say I quit, I´ve done what a client should do; bring things up, being honest and so on. I know I´d feel bad about waiting for an answer to my e-mail and then having to process it all on my own when she confirms we quit therapy. I wish I could just go on after ending it, not caring but unfortunately that´s not reality.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarah you sound to me as if you are expecting much more from therapy than she can give you, is this your first councilor you have seen and how long have you been seeing her.

Your obviously not Very old I would guess, can I ask who referred you and for what reason.

• Posted

And you obviously think you know people without even meeting them. I´m 37 years old with 250 hours of different counselling and psychology studies of my own.

• Posted

At 35 you are young compared to me and after hearing your comments regarding the therapist it seemed you were speaking as if this was your first session with one.

After 250 hours running sessions of your own it seems you haven't gained anything from them, so with all your prior knowledge why would you be interested in anyone's opinion on a public website which you considered to below your abilities.

• Posted

You must have very spectacular abilities as you can decide I haven´t gained anything from therapy and also be able to decide that this must be my first session in therapy. I´m not considering all opinions to be below what I know myself but I'm not interested in comments where there are assumptions about people taken out of the blue instead of being supportive around the issue.

• Posted

Sarah sorry I have not answered you In the way you were hoping for, I wish you luck finding answers to your dilemma,
  • Posted

Sarah

You give little to work on here, all I can say is Therapy is your time to discuss any fears or concerns you have regarding life choices etc 

Sometimes the therapist may feel the relationship between the both of you is not working and another therapist with a different approach would be a more helpful way to help you and your condition.

Sometimes here in the UK courses may last for only ten sessions, then something else  should be tried to help your fears etc.

You are been seen and your problems are discussed, they then give coping techniques.

You seem to still have at least one appointment, you both have a selection of discussions to beat around the room

BOB

• Posted

So you mean to get support from others you should write several pages of info? I´m not living in the UK and wasn´t asking for examples of short-term therapies or explanation on how therapy works.

• Posted

Sarah

We here basically support NHS Patients our system may be different to the system where you live.

In the UK we have Organisations where we can refer our selves for treatment, this system works as well as the NHS system. I had a course of treatment several months ago after a diagnosis, just to keep me stable after numerous tests. The course lasted eleven weeks. There were further courses I could try built on CBT. They on my direction sent letters to my GP at end of treatment. This system my be restricted to my Region.

Our NHS has various forms of treatment they can offer through our GP, these treatments on again offered in restricted time. Then they decide on additional treatment plans or they can discharge you if they feel you will given time sort out your condition with the techniques explained in Clinic.

You do not need to write down your concerns although here on occasions sometimes this can quicken up an initial appointment, the getting to know you period.

I do not know with any depth how Mental Health is treated in your country, I work in an NHS environment.

BOB

• Posted

Sounds like she was in control. An unequal relationship, that is not right. I feel a different therapist may be worth exploring. Say one trained in the Person Centred Approach. x
    • Posted

Thanks. Yes, I also prefer a person centered or rogerian approach but as I can´t pay for therapy myself I like just ended up with the therapist I described. She´s a psychosyntesis therapist and not that skilled when it comes to psychological processes. It leaves me very lonely within the therapeutic relationship I think.

• Posted

Can you get your money back? Doesn't seem any point paying for a bad therapist.

• Posted

Hi again Yes support is important and the Patient/Person Centred Approach focuses on three core principles and was found to be effective. CORE PRINCIPLES are REG.

​R - POsitive regard

E- Empathy.

​G Congruence. In short listening to the client, conveying empathy in various ways. G Congruence, being honest with the client. Take care.

• Posted

Thanks. Yes, I wish my therapist could understand and to this but she seems to have more or less no validation techniques beyond what a "ordinary" person has. I think it´s very important with positive regard, empathy and congruence and being there for the client but I think a lot of therapists aren´t familiar with this approach. I don´t really know how to handle this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.