Like convincing my therapist to continue therapy

Posted , 5 users are following.

It´s often said that you should talk to the therapist about the relationship and if there are things that doesn´t feel good in therapy or if there is something to change.

So I did and I didn´t have any specific critique but wanting my T to express more understanding and to focus on things I tell her, not just rush into solutions or the "next step" in things.

I like talked and talked and of course she added some comments to it but now afterwards I just feel it was like convincing her to continue therapy. It was not that she had said we should quit but she earlier said she was a little hesitant about being the right therapist for me.

I did much of what she should have been doing, talking about alternatives, showing that I also appreciate what she´s doing, I tried to be considerate in what I told her and so on.

But afterwards I just feel she doesn´t care, she didn´t made any effort to show that she wants to adapt, even if she didn´t say she wouldn´t adapt. It was like convincing her to continue therapy by showing I can accept different things and put it in a perspective.

I really felt like e-mailing her today and say I quit, I´ve done what a client should do; bring things up, being honest and so on. I know I´d feel bad about waiting for an answer to my e-mail and then having to process it all on my own when she confirms we quit therapy. I wish I could just go on after ending it, not caring but unfortunately that´s not reality.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi again

​It sounds as the T is not really helping you and that you need someone who is prepared to listen to you and be non judgmental.

​If that is the case then I would have no hesitation about seeking the services of another therapist. This applies wherever in the world one lives. 

Take care and remember there is always someone who will help.  Keep strong.

• Posted

Thanks. Yes, I wish I could just switch therapists but this therapist is within church and not within a health network and as I can´t pay for therapy myself I have had to choose from not so good alternatives. I think the NHS are similar to our Swedish health care system in several ways. Most patients get just 10 times of CBT and they return to therapists and counsellors over and over again with similar problems as they never get proper time to solve things as long-term therapies are very difficult to get access to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.