Limited time for extension?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I saw my surgeon yesterday for 6 wk post op. I have 130 bend but -4 extension. He said I have 2-3 weeks to get to 0 extension. Has anyone else been told you have a limited time to achieve total extension? I am working hard to reach this goal.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did 10 weeks of PT @ 2X/week (finished at weeks 12 post-op).  Went from -14 / +84 to -1 / +123.  Got stuck at -4 for many weeks before breaking through.  I'm 2+ years post op and approximately 0 / +133.  You be the judge...

• Posted

My Pyshio has not given me the rush up however he does push me without going crazy and over the top. Ask him what happens if you don’t get there in 2-3 weeks perhaps it’s there way of trying to get the best out of you ??
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

I am at 6 months post op and am still -5. This has gone down from my -10 at my 6 week check. I am hoping this will get better as it does slightly limit me and doesn't help greatly with the walk. My surgeon also saw me a 4 months and said...oh well it is still swollen so it may get better!  I am however only 100 -110 bend and I am doing all the exercises. However, at 6 weeks I would certainly not begin to worry.

• Posted

My Ortho said the operated knee would have trouble staying straighter than the other knee. Otherwise you would limp.  
  • Posted

I was not told this. Today I had my first PT session since my surgery on the 10th of April. I was at 65°

• Posted

It might wise if he had told you why straight is so important. The flatter the leg The led likely you are to have a limp. Later today when I am no so restricted time wise I will email you some exercises that worked well for me that many pt's don't use.

• Posted

I had tkr on 1st knee in 2011. It is beyond straight. My mother limps because she never got full extension (she was 80 at time of surgery) . I certainly don't want a limp! I am doing all the exercises and stretches. When I sit I extend leg with heel on chair with weight above knee.

I just wondered what happens after 8 weeks- you can no longer get it straight?

• Posted

I had tkr on 1st knee in 2011. It is beyond straight. My mother limps because she never got full extension (she was 80 at time of surgery) . I certainly don't want a limp! I am doing all the exercises and stretches. When I sit I extend leg with heel on chair with weight above knee.

I just wondered what happens after 8 weeks- you can no longer get it straight?

• Posted

I am open to anything that might help. I even walk around the house doing lunges! Send the exercises please. Thank you.
    • Posted

LTKR May 2017 with post op complications kept me knee in bent position -45 degrees for 6 months, then I started massage therapy, Gua Sha tool to break up scar tissue, JAS brace for extended gradual stretching 3X daily for 30 minutes. Within 8 weeks I got to -15, then -10 and now at 11 months post op straight at zero with flexion/extension of 125. I do not have any limp on the left. However, my right knee needs to be replaced so I limp on that side until the knee is replaced. You are doing well at this point and will continue to improve.
    • Posted

How long before I can ditch the cane? I'm 8 days out from TKR

• Posted

Keep it till you are comfortable without it. Recovery is all about you, not a timetable or a calendar or someone else's recovery. Some therapist will want you off after so many weeks but if you don't feel that's best for you, tell them so. Last thing you want is a fall that will set you back. One more week isn't going to be the end of the world.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.