Limited time for extension?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I saw my surgeon yesterday for 6 wk post op. I have 130 bend but -4 extension. He said I have 2-3 weeks to get to 0 extension. Has anyone else been told you have a limited time to achieve total extension? I am working hard to reach this goal.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It took me a year and two rounds of pt to get to 127/-1. The surgeon was happy with these measurements at my one year check and said that it should improve more over time. Nobody improves at the same rate. It seems to me that you are still very early into your recovery. Keep working at your exercises.
  • Posted

No way Jose! My Physio’s, I’ve had two ops, worked with me up to 12 weeks before I was discharged. Following my op of 18 weeks I am still working to get my most recently treated leg to match its partner.  You are neve done trying to get knees working. 6 weeks: rubbish!
  • Posted

I am 11 weeks post PKR. I am still -5 extension. My physio said with exercises this sound improve. See surgeon next week for 3 month check so will be interested to see what he says. Bend is at 115. Are you in the UK?
    • Posted

I am in the US. My surgeons cv says he specializes in "advanced techniques for quick recovery" whatever that means. Yesterday he had me put my foot on a stool to check my extension. Then without warning he placed both hands on my lower leg and pushed down until I begged him to stop! Today I have a stabbing pain in my lower leg where he pushed. Not sure that did it but suspicious.

• Posted

I am in the US. My surgeons cv says he specializes in "advanced techniques for quick recovery" whatever that means. Yesterday he had me put my foot on a stool to check my extension. Then without warning he placed both hands on my lower leg and pushed down until I begged him to stop! Today I have a stabbing pain in my lower leg where he pushed. Not sure that did it but suspicious.

• Posted

Advanced degree in being an a**hole. No practitioner in his right mind would do that to a patient. I'm in the US as well (suburb of KC) and my PT has a doctorate in PT plus advanced degree in sports medicine. The theory of quit before you are in pain as opposed to aching and normal discomfort of therapy is his method.

What the barbarian you went to did was rip all the scar tissue loose at once. Hope you got right on the ice as soon as y o u could. Pain meds will be necessary for a few days. Findind a qualified therapist next and telling your surgeon what that guy did should follow up shortly.

• Posted

It WAS the surgeon! I should have told him- you are not pt! It was shocking.
    • Posted

Absolutely unthinkable. Unfortunately you are between a rock and a hard spot. If he's in a multi-doc practice you can ask for another Dr. There must be an office mgr you can communicate with. In many cases any more, these practices are owned by the hospital and if this is a case, you can talk to the hospital administrator. This is more than you need right now to go along with with your pain.

• Posted

For everyone trying to get to ZERO ROM extension, I dare you...no, DOUBLE dare you...to try #3...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

Killer!!!  Gravity is a law and the law must be obeyed!  This exercise takes nothing but gravity and time...oh, and if you get heroic, some 2-pound ankle weights.  A few precautions...

- Make sure your knees are ON the bed; only calves and feet are in the air.

- Since you are face down, make sure you have a big pillow to scream into.

- Pay your whole family to leave the house.

- Close all your windows and turn up the music...loud.

- Tell your neighbors NOT to call 911 when they hear all that screaming coming from your house.

Just a few random suggestions...  Want zero?  This will get you zero...guaranteed...

• Posted

No time limit. It is up to you. 6 weeks you have just got back on your feet so to speak. Work at it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.