Lingering pain 4 weeks after flare up

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

It has been over 4 weeks after my 2nd flare in 16 mos..my energy has come back for the most part but I still experience nagging pain in my lower abdomen before bowel movements that persist until my colon is clear. My gp prescribed bentyl 10 mg when needed and it has seemed to resolve some of that discomfort and pain but is this somewhat common? I have not had loose bm, blood or fever.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I found it took me weeks for the pain to go. The DR said this was normal for DD. I still get pain in my lower left side most days   
  • Posted

i can understand what you going through😞.  i had suffered divertilitics for 5 yrs and it was worse pain and worse yrs of my life.. hv u tried taking movical to mke ur stools soft to pass through colon? i had polyps in some parts of colon .. i had my surgery its been a year and im still recovering from it.  i had to have some part of my coln removed , had stoma for  a year which had caused me to have abdominal hernia .. had my 2nd op last august and i felt so much better . felt like i got my life back, but since last dec 17 my hernia returned which is normal in some cases.. need to hv another op to fix that.. i get sharp pains where my stoma was so i had tried movical satchets , and it has helped with pain before you hv bm.  I also take some greek yougurt with out any sugars to help with bm.. u need to avoid any food which has fibre content which causes colon  to bloat n you feel pain around bm.. hope u feel better soon 

• Posted

I am also in a lot of pain still although only just coming to the end of a week of antibiotics. I was really worried that I should feel better than this by now. Ate too much for dinner last night and ended up with waves of teeth clenching pain all night until bm this morning. I think I shall need to starve forever if it means that every time I eat I am in pain!

I had a colon re section 5 years ago as my diverticulitis was so bad it had caused a fistula. I thought I would never have trouble again but this week it reared its ugly head and I have been so ill. 

I hope you feel better very soon.

• Posted

I am sorry that despite surgery your problem has returned.  I have read it does happen in some cases.  As a previous sufferer you have probably forgotten just how long it can take to get over an attack - 4 to 6 weeks.  Fluids and low residue diet for the time being, I suggest.  Hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Thank you felinia. I guess I must just be patient! I have to admit it was very upsetting to feel that I'm going down this road again. 🙁 It's a horrible illness. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up