Lingering pain 4 weeks after flare up

Posted , 26 users are following.

It has been over 4 weeks after my 2nd flare in 16 mos..my energy has come back for the most part but I still experience nagging pain in my lower abdomen before bowel movements that persist until my colon is clear. My gp prescribed bentyl 10 mg when needed and it has seemed to resolve some of that discomfort and pain but is this somewhat common? I have not had loose bm, blood or fever.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I found it took me weeks for the pain to go. The DR said this was normal for DD. I still get pain in my lower left side most days   
  • Posted

i can understand what you going through😞.  i had suffered divertilitics for 5 yrs and it was worse pain and worse yrs of my life.. hv u tried taking movical to mke ur stools soft to pass through colon? i had polyps in some parts of colon .. i had my surgery its been a year and im still recovering from it.  i had to have some part of my coln removed , had stoma for  a year which had caused me to have abdominal hernia .. had my 2nd op last august and i felt so much better . felt like i got my life back, but since last dec 17 my hernia returned which is normal in some cases.. need to hv another op to fix that.. i get sharp pains where my stoma was so i had tried movical satchets , and it has helped with pain before you hv bm.  I also take some greek yougurt with out any sugars to help with bm.. u need to avoid any food which has fibre content which causes colon  to bloat n you feel pain around bm.. hope u feel better soon 

• Posted

I am also in a lot of pain still although only just coming to the end of a week of antibiotics. I was really worried that I should feel better than this by now. Ate too much for dinner last night and ended up with waves of teeth clenching pain all night until bm this morning. I think I shall need to starve forever if it means that every time I eat I am in pain!

I had a colon re section 5 years ago as my diverticulitis was so bad it had caused a fistula. I thought I would never have trouble again but this week it reared its ugly head and I have been so ill. 

I hope you feel better very soon.

• Posted

I am sorry that despite surgery your problem has returned.  I have read it does happen in some cases.  As a previous sufferer you have probably forgotten just how long it can take to get over an attack - 4 to 6 weeks.  Fluids and low residue diet for the time being, I suggest.  Hope you feel better.
    • Posted

Thank you felinia. I guess I must just be patient! I have to admit it was very upsetting to feel that I'm going down this road again. 🙁 It's a horrible illness. 

• Posted

Always keep your meals small and eat more often if hungry. Small meals are easier on the whole digestive system.

• Posted

hi~ im Kelly and so few truly know this pain.

i was about 25 when i had my first attack.

having been mis diagnosed with "passing" stones of this type or that for the better part of 25 years.

i had my 6th or 7th attack last friday at 4 pm. i chose to stay home and ride it out because A) i had a weeks worth of Flagyl & B) serious pain pills from the last attack a couple of years ago. this one was a humdinger of all as i literally saw my abdomen do things to rid itself of ( corn on the cob) yeah i know.... but being vegan i forget there are still dangerous foods for me, anyway it was something straight out of alien with Sigourney Weaver!

i had a 22 hour labor in 1999 with ZERO pain and these contractions were like a tsunami sized creature working its way down and out from just under the bra line.

i am weaker than i have ever been and sum that up to the lack of iv meds and saline~. having white coat fever i decided i should perhaps utilize the referral my GP has had on my file for goodness knows how many years.

i am still in the tender stage and keep juicing my tofu spinach leaves blueberries and vanilla almond milk. amazing and delightful.

ill keep you posted and hope you will all do the same . Indeed it takes a village.

• Edited

I am 10 days post antibiotics.. still having lower abdominal pain on and off. I too feel better when my colon is clear... I guess I just need to patient and try not to freak myself out all the time.. I hope you feel better soon.

• Edited

Hi, I'm Michael I'm 51 years old and am having my first flare up , was frightened (major white coat syndrome) and went to the emergency room (no insurance) got a CT and antibiotics. I'm thankful I found this forum, as it helps me be part of a community and know I'm not alone .

• Posted

Hi Michael I am new to this I had severe pain 4 years ago and at that time my dr just gave me antibiotics and said I would feel better..Now 4 years later I have a flare up just moved to a new state and go to hospital and they scare me and keep me for 3 days with IV and they tell me what to do and I have been trying real hard to do because I don t want to go there again. It has been 15 days and I just have no strength I do one thing and I am done. I I am 71 years young and really worried about all this..I am glad that this community is here and I need to find a doctor that can help ..I don t want to loose any more weight

• Posted

Hi:

Fully understand your issue as I am going through the same.

1. First acute diverticulitis attack was on Oct 9th 2022 - prescribed a week of Flagyl/Cipra combo. After a week, the pains continued and a 2nd week of Flagyl/Cipra.
    2. I was back to normal until Dec when the GE asked me to do a colonscopy. The pre colonoscopy Gavilyte treatment gave me severe cramps and after the colonoscopy, I had another attack of diverticulitis and this time I was in the ER and hospitalized for 3 days with IV Flagyl/Cipro. Another round of oral Flagyl/Cipro followed and I am just about recovering. On hindsight, it would have been better to have postponed it to mid next year.
    3. Like you, I get twinges in my colon (right side), mostly in the evening and for the first couple of days, I was alarmed as I thought another diverticulitis attack is going to hit me. But so far, so good as my bowel movements are normal.
    4. But this issues has me spooked as far as diet is concerned. I am on a low residue diets - cream of wheat in the morning, vegetable broth, mashed rice/vegetables soup with simple yoghurt in the afternoon and the same in the evening. My weight is down 8 lbs - but right now, I have no choice. Mashed bananas are a luxury that I try once in 2 days. Energy is slowly coming back - but given my mental confusion with the disease, I prefer to endure the low residue diet for another couple of weeks before I slowly venture into a high energy diet (beets/pom juices) with more fibre content.
    5. I also started taking a probiotic - but I am yet to see any changes. Perhaps over a longer run, I should experience benefits.

Feedback will be welcome especially post diverticulitis diet suggestions.

• Posted

I'm sorry about your flare up. Mine is number 3. Thirteen days on meds and still in severe pain. This disease is horrible!

• Posted

I take a sachet of Fybogel daily on prescription and this bulks and softens the stools making them easier to pass. The pain can linger - after my last flare it took almost a vear. Then I started taking Aloe Vera capsules to reduce internal inflammation. Within a week the pain almost went. It may not work for anyone else but it worked for me.

• Posted

Just finished 7 days of abx after ER diagnosis of diverticulitis. Pain subsided day 5 , but now is back but not a sore pain, more of a constant pain. Is it back already?

• Posted

im so hapoy I found this discussuon ! i had my first flare with a perforation. unable to get a bed, was in ER for a day, and was told surgery may or may not happen. eventually decided to go antibiotoc route and NPO for

4 days - discharged after a week with a few days left of flagyl amd cipro - been off antibiotics 5 days - frustrated i still get run down but slowly getting an appetite back - never understood or appreciated the severe pain of this illness, but sounds like its a lifetime journey now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.