Linx surgery for acid reflux

Posted , 135 users are following.

Has anyone esperienced this relatively new surgery for acid reflux which doesnt respond to drugs.

Or does anyone know anything about it. It is much es invasive than the nissen fondiplication op. done by day surgery I think. My gastro ent. didnt mention it but I thought I might investiage.just out of interest as a possible future option if all else fails. I am having so much trouble with side effects from

drugs and not much effect on my acid reflux either still getting reflux at night and quite sore throat.

Any comments welcome.

5 likes, 545 replies

545 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda,

My son had the Linx procedure in 2010. His sphincter was severely damaged because of the acid reflux. My son was on liquid food for 2 yrs. The operation went well and as soon as he fully recovered the anaesthetic, he ate a bag of crisps, sandwiches and some cheese cake with no after effects whatsoever. This operation has changed his life so much. My son and I would advise anyone who is offered this op to seriously consider it. The 360 degree wrap causes problems if ill at any time, with a sickness bug as vomiting is impossible. Therefore the bug has to be digested....how awful...and is not irreversible. 

• Posted

what is the 360 wrap?  I was advised to get the linx is that the same?
    • Posted

The wrap is the Nissen flundification where they pull part of your stomach up and wrap it round your easiphogus It's very invasive unreversible and you can never throw up or burp. NOT RECIMENDED !
    • Posted

I am allergic to nickle I think as my wedding ring had a hit in it and made my finger itch so now what?
    • Posted

my daughter is 9 years old.do you know if she can have the linx surgery
  • Posted

Hi Linda. I can't offer any advice as I'm in the same boat myself.  I saw my surgeon yesterday fully expecting him to say I'd be having the Nissen Fundoplication.  He did talk about that at first but then mentioned about Linx.  I'd never heard of it and hadn't realised that there was an alternative.  He asked if I had medical insurance as it's expensive.  The success rate seemingly is a couple of % lower than the NF but that's all.  He said it has less side effects than the NF and you have to eat as normal with the Linx otherwise it will close up!  Am now sat here thinking do I have the Linx as my life would go back to 'normal' much faster and did he not try and sell the Linx to me purely bacause it's a lot more expensive than the NF?  Not with it today.  Have just seen this post is five months old lol.  If anyone else could reply it would be much appreciated.
    • Posted

Hi , I had LINX 25 days ago, best thing ever, apart from training your system to get used to it I have stopped all meds and feel 100% better! I can sleep have no cough nor pain.

if your offered it take it.    Thanks to the good old nhs it's free over here 

hope this helps

• Posted

Hi, I'm having it done privately based on recommendation from my Gastroenterologist.  I've had to go private to get answers.  Think I need to look into it further.  What do you means when you say 'training your system'?  I've got a fair bit of time to figure it all out as surgery won't be till the 22nd of August. He's totally thrwon me by putting something else into the mix! 
    • Posted

Are you in uk ? I have a booklet about it but there's plenty online 

all I meant was there's now a foreign body in my stomach and it will take a little time getting used to it. Plus my surgeon said scar tissue will form around it after a month or so and it MAY, just MAY be a little uncomfortable swallowing for a few weeks after the scar tissue has formed. Other than being quite gassy when I burp I'm absolutely fine. The LINX band is a titanium magnetic band so you can never have an MRI scan and they also give you a card  in case any airport scanning machine is set off. Hope this helps and as I say it's a pith as I have booklets here explaining everything 

• Posted

Hi Gail,

My son was told the same about the 'Closing issue', however everyone has to eat and drink through the day..really it is no problem. The only thing my son has to do is to drink with every meal. Sometimes he feels the food has not fully passed through the bracelet, but he does have a tendancy not to chew is food properly. The NF was only available before the Linx was discovered but the most frightening news my son was told about the NF was, he would never be able to vomit. I asked, what would happen if he ever had a sickness bug, his reply was, it would have to be digested. How unpleasant! 

• Posted

Hi, yes I am in the uk.  From what I've read about the Nissen, most people can't burp but have excess gas!  I'll look online and try and get as much info as I can before making a decision.
    • Posted

Hi, I've been wondering about the vomitting thing.  I have a bit of a phobia about vomitting anyway so initially I thought, great.  Then I got to thinking well what happens instead then?  You just answered my question.  Yuck.eek
    • Posted

I've looked at forums re the belching and foul smell but can't seem to get any answers. It happens after I've eaten and gets worse the more I eat, I just hope it sorts itself out but other than that I'm great 
    • Posted

Hi Gail,

It is hard to imagine isn't it?.  We were also told that under the circumstances of having a sickness bug, it would make someone very ill 

• Posted

When I once discussed the procedure with a consultant he said,' Fancy never being able to burp or be sick again'
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

My son was told he would never be able to be sick again, we were also told that a stomach bug would have to be digested and would make someone very ill.

• Posted

Hi Sue, 

I saw your son had the Linx procedure in 2010. I just had the procedure done 9 weeks ago this Monday. The first week I felt great and then I regressed into what my surgeon calls the recovery period. I had some dyphasia the first few weeks but now as long as I chew well and drink with meals it is not a problem. What has been the worst has been the bloating and chest pains that radiate from esophageal spasms the device causes. My surgeon said both of these will go away and that recovery is usually 3ish months. I was wondering how long it took your son to recover and whether he had any side effects during recovery. Also now that it has been 4 years since his surgery, is he symptom free? I have suffered from GERD for 12 years and I am only 29. I can not wait to start my life feeling healthy again and would love to hear from someone who has had the surgery and been through the recovery and doing well. Thanks and hope to hear from you smile 

• Posted

I cannot visualise the sick being digested again. On the few times I've been sick the volume brought up seemed to far exceeded what had been eaten.

It must make him very careful about what he eats or countries he visits.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

My son is very much leading a normal life after the Linx procedure. The only problem he had which was explained prior the op was, swallowing food but he managed this   drinking water with every meal, also there was slight sorness where the band sits. Both symptoms started about 2 weeks after the op and lasted 8-10 weeks. The latter end of the weeks did ease and was hardly noticeable. There may be some type of foods that are a problem like for example..my son only found out last Christmas he could not eat chestnuts, his reason.... because they are a little scatty when swallowing, lol as he described it, but he ate something else to push it down with a drink of water.  Apparently it feels like something wedged around the chest area however, I think most of us have experienced this in our life time. Asking him now, he does not even know the band is there.  

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Thank you so much for responding! I am so glad to hear your son is living a normal healthy life! I will be 9 weeks on Monday, so I am almost there! Thank you for the reassurance that I too will be normal again after this surgery! It is so wonderful that you are able to help others with answering  questions in this process, as it's so nice to hear from those who have been through it and are on the other side !

Have a wonderful and healthy life! 

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Hope everything goes well and the 9 weeks go really quick for you

I will help anyone with questions smile..I have experienced the trauma, seeing my son suffer, I sympathise with anyone who has the same problem.  Best wishes.

Sue

• Posted

Thank you Sue!

Your son is very lucky to have such a wonderfully caring mum! I am so please to hear he is healthy! Take care smile

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Curious as to what procedures you had to have before having the Linx Procedure. Any specific tests?

John

• Posted

Hi John, 

Yes, you have to get a mannometry and a PH bravo study to make sure GERD is the diagnosis before you are referred to surgery. Enter text...

• Posted

I assume these are office visits? Also, any issues with insurance coverage?

Thanks for your response.

• Posted

Hi John. I had LINX 5 weeks ago and it's the best think that has happened to me.  I must admit though for the last 2 yrs I have got steadily worse and the operation was the best thing that has happened to me I also had a haitis hernia   I had every conceivable test, endoscopy colonoscopy barium swallow tubes put into my stomach for 24 hours to record acid and swallow tests too all before they would do surgery.  Since then I have come off ALL meds 
    • Posted

As I'm in the uk I don't have a problem with this, the nhs covers it all
    • Posted

Yes, I went to the GI Dr and he ordered the mannometry and PH study. Unfortunately insurance ( i live in California) only covered the hospital stay so I paid out of pocket for the device which was $5,000! But I had no choice couldn't bare living with reflux anymore since meds weren't working anymore. 
    • Posted

I'm in Minnesota. My insurance co. is pretty good once my deductible is met. My initial consultation is with one of the Dr's who conducted several of the clinical trials with Linx, so I'm anxiously waiting to hear what he has to say. Thanks again. 
    • Posted

Do you mind if I ask which meds you were on? Any concerns with the risks vs benefits? Most of the trials only have 4-5 yrs of data. The procedure seems very safe. It would be nice to know how things transgress after 10 or 15 yrs. 
    • Posted

Insurance will almost always try to deny. I have anthem and then you go through an appeals process. I didn't want to wait through the appeals which can take 3 months plus, so just bit the bullet and paid out of pocket for device. My UCLA surgeon says the sucess rate of LINX is in the 90's and told me I should never reflux again, so I am optomisitc and know I felt good right after, so will get there once this recovery is over! I was on the highest dose of dexilant which somewhat managed my reflux definitely not perfect because I also had a small hiatal hernia i didn't know about, but for at least a couple years the PPI managed it to where I could live a comfortable life. Then it stopped working like they do after a couple years and all hell broke loose. My surgeon also fixed the hiatal hernia during the linx surgery so if you have one then they will most likely fix it if they think it's contributing to the problem. Good luck and hope you can get the procedure soon. 
    • Posted

Pre op I was on domperidone and lanzoprazole  also Zantac 300 mg 

post op. Zilch nada nothing 

• Posted

I also had a 5cm h hernia which was fixed during the surgery, apparently most with reflux over time develops a hernia
    • Posted

I wish you well on your recovery. Unfortunately, my consultation appt is not for 8wks. This guy seems to be in high demand. Go figure.
    • Posted

Your results are very encouraging. The use of no ppi's is what is so atractive with this procedure. I wouldn't be surprised if the pharmacuetical companies are trying to sqwelch this information. I heard ppi sales are in the top 10 worldwide.
    • Posted

Exactly. There was a tv programme about the marketing of Zantac starting in the u.s. And how they got it into the chemists so people didn't have to go to a gp surgery for a 

rescription.  It was a marketing mans dream.  Now Zantac is the most widely used ppi and one of the  most profitable drug in the world.   I was on it from it's inception until 6 weeks ago

• Posted

Hi can I ask where in the UK you had

The linx procedure? And did you have to apply for funding through individual funding panel. ?

• Posted

Hello i had the NF 270 wrap and I can burp and vomit. However it isn't as tight as the 360 but I'm doing well. Best of luck.

• Posted

I am considering the Linx surgery and I have to have an MRI every year because I am a high risk breast cancer patient. They told me I could definitely have an MRI as long as it's under 1.5 strength.

• Posted

I just had one on Sunday. It was fine. I was a bit worried going in but it was absolutely fine 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.