Lipomas .."I have lots of them"...some characterstics

Posted , 13 users are following.

it all started with one small "egg" on dorsal side of my right forearm when I was 16 i guess. Gradually, I started to increase in size...was bit scary...but eventually I realised..It stopped.

I was happy for  a while till i discovered another on mirror copy on left forearm.

I dont know why? I have a feeling it develops in mirror combination..?

alright!!!....when I was 20 ..i found couple of them growing just below my my right rib case....and then it was never looking back...I have lots of them now all over place...some small...like ball pen point..some like peppercorn..some like sweetcorn...some like pea....

My problem is some of them are tender..it pains when someone or me touch it accidently...

one thing i learned is..its birth and growth....

Starts with a itch on skin...then hardened skin for some days...then tenderness for some days...then its there....birth of a new baby!!!!

latest discovery....my skin over the one on my left forearm is fading up...!!!!!!!

any similar experience..please share!!!!

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I agree that they do start with itching and then pain followed by a long period of painfulness and irritation. This is exactly what I have with around 30 plus Lipomas. No support from GPs nowhere to go for advice. If you find any support groups other than the dercums society I would be very interested to hear.

Best wishes

Bill

• Posted

Hi Bill,

I agree with you.

there is hardly any support available.

But we all can share our condition to carefully watch out these popcorns...

Do share any slight characterstic you experience.

• Posted

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday to discuss my long term health. I intend to have another go about the Lipomas as I am certain they contributed to my pain that continually gets worse.

I agree the more of us sharing these experiences the better chance we have of raising awareness.

Bill

• Posted

I had a large lipoma on my back LHS shouldr blade, I had it removed (the size of a cricket ball) under local anesthetic and was examined and found to be benign. Everything was fine until a month later (after having a TURP operation which did not go to plan and there were complications), I found another lump confirmed by my GP under my arm on the RHS the size of a tennis ball.( I am not going to do anything just keep an eye on it. I am concerned after speaking to a friend who had a lipoma removed from his thigh and another grew elsewhere, that if all the lipoma is not removed it than grows at another place. Regards Peter
    • Posted

Hi Peter,

I think , a watchful eye on these is the only thing we all can do.

surgical removal would be best if it hiders your daily life or a malignant condition

• Posted

Hi Ascena

Yep that is what I will do keep an eye on it . My main concern is that I had a lipoma on by back LHS  shoulder blade which was causing pain on my chest and had it removed. Soon after it was removed this new large ball of lipoma developed under my right arm (I am sure there was no lupm at all there before I had the lipoma removed on the other side?)

Some say that lipomas if not removed completely or just a strain left can root and grow somewhere else? Many thanks Peter

• Posted

Yes I agree.

I had a bilateral surgery on both sides of my chest just below areolar region..they were really big. And now some chunks are regenerating again.

I have also seen some youtube videos where some guys removed them at home with surgical blades.

out of frustation i feel to do the same but its bit scary to dig your own skin with blades.

they are so much I can't even count them now.All growing slowly

• Posted

Are you overweight? Lose 40 pounds and see if they go away. They are composed of fat you know. Big ones.....lots of fat. You can do it and you will be much healthier to boot. Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi jobe,

Weight has little to do with it in my opinion. I have been in sports and fitness since 14 years of age (31 now), always having very little body fat and lean muscle.  

However, I have around 20-30 throughout my body, and primarily in my forearms, upper legs and torso.  

The only option I found was to have them surgically cut out. Has anyone else found another option? 

• Posted

Hi Ascena

We just need to keep an eye on them, unless the lipomas are malignant or in a place hindering movement,unsightly or causing pain then we must seek advise from GP's. Definitely don't try to remove them yourselve not only is it difficult and very painful there is a serious risk of infection. All the very best. Peter

• Edited

My SO had over 50 of these and was a little over weight. He took a construction job and worked his fat off and guess what...........all of the lipomas disappeared. Funny....so if you are willing to loose a bunch of weight you will probably burn up all those little fat balls and be healthier because of it. Good luck!
  • Posted

Lipomas are fat cells that overly produce to form a cluster, thus creating a tumor. From my very limited understanding, aren’t most tumors fueled by sugars? 

Has anyone gone on an extremely strict diet eliminating artificial ingredients and sugars from their diet to see if that would shrink them at all? 

Thoughts?

• Posted

Good Day! Fellows.

1st of all forgive me for my grammer and mispeling..I am male 37. 2 years ago i had non of these Lopomas and never noticed one. One night during sex my wife noticed a small one on my lower left back side at the end of rib cage. I just ignored it and after few months i noticed 2 more on right side. Then elbow left right . Rig cage. Now i have atleast 30 of them here and there.

Few i removed surgically which was at the wrong place and giving pain when trapped between bed and bone. They sent it to lab and it was just a fatty tissue nothing else.

So what happened that i got all of the just like that. I do remember what hapoened.

2 things happened. And i am sure these 2 things are the culprits.

1.. 2 months less or more before the night my wife noticed one i was on sugar free diet. But i was stupid enough to use artificail sweatners. Lots of them.

2.. when running i had difficulty breathing and my GP gave me a nosal decongistant. It was the one steroid based. And i have read alot about lipomas. Steroids do trigger lipoma production. One thing someone said above that mirror thing. Its true. If you get one on left side you will get one on right side at the same sopt.

Next month i have an appointment in Frankfurt Germany with a specilalist as i have lost my trust in doctors in NL. The doctor in Germany is going to put me in a machine to diagnose every singal thing. He said maybe due to artificail sweatners you have got bad metals in your body as aspartum destroys human DNA he mentioned. And steroids do have benefits but less then side effects.

Will post again after seeing the doctor. I hope there will be something to stop production of new ones and the existing one can be removed surgically. Good luck and keep posting if anything new comes up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.