Listing all the BAD alcohol gave to me

Posted , 11 users are following.

I don't miss....

Waking up in the morning frightened....unti I had that first sip of alcohol.

​Throwing up when I brushed my teeth

Going to the store in my pajamas with an overcoat to get alcohol as soon as I could

The look on the store clerks faces when they saw me at 8am

Not showering for days on end

Not eating for days on end

Missing family functions

Getting into bed with my clothes on

Getting into a dirty bed because I hadn't washed my clothes for days

​Listening to the men pick up the trash and hearing all the bottles clanging into their garbage trucks

Avoiding phone calls

Sending messages that were drunk messages to people I used to care about

Being distant from my b/f and peope I cared about

Not being able to be there for someone who asked for my help because I was too drunk to drive

Drinking stale beer because there was none in the house

Drinking vanilla extract because I couldn't make it to the store until I had a "shot" of alcohol

Drinking mouthwash at 2am because I had run out of beer and no stores were open

​Thinking of drinking "hand sanitizer" because of the large alcohol content when there was no alcohol around.

Driving in my car and needing to take a shot to complete my drive home..worrying about cops stopping me and dragging me into the station.

Going to the hospital at least 1x a month to be rehydrated and detoxed

Missed the ceremony for my dead sponser because I was so drunk

Missing important appointments because I was so drunk

The high blood pressure

The diarrhea (although this is stil a problem)

The vomiting half way thru the day and then resuming the drink

Putting bills aside and forgetting they were due (had to pay 2 months of mortgage in Feb because Jan I totally forgot to pay my mortgage).

​When I worked...missing work or not functioning correctly to do my job

Obsessing in the shower before work about how many hours were left before I could have a beer

Sneaking a beer into work when I would work overtime on a Saturday

People at work noticing the decline in my looks

​Losing muscle mass and strength in my body

​The light hurting my eyes so much that even on rainy days wearing sunglasses

Being afraid to leave the house whilst someone would see how horrible I looked

Having no connection with the outside world via computer or watching TV

Just sitting in one place drinking and smoking as much as I could.

​Waking up with bruises and not remembering how I got them.

Not taking proper care of my cat (changing litter or feeding)

​I don't miss any of these things....and probably some more that I can not think of right now. 

The best feeling in the world for me right now is to get up in the a.m..talk with you guys....eat breakfast.. look forward to my 3pm tea....and what I am going to cook for dinner...getting in my CLEAN pajamas...at around 9...and watching TV...taking the sleeping pills...reading my book and going to sleep with a smile on my face...that I made it another day!

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can relate to so much of that too. New to this forum. Had enough of wasting money..feeling crap..worried about health issues and so much more. Only day 1 for me but am determined not to drink again. Not worth it. Well done missy
    • Posted

I wish you the best in your battle.

I forgot to include in my list.

I DO NOT MISS....the first 3 days of withdrawal....the awful feeling like you may die....and the times of almost giving into getting that drink to take away all the pain.

​If you can get...some benzodiazapam...get it....it helps...it doesn't take away EVERY symptom and I had to take WAY more than prescribed and they still didn't help...but do whatever you can and I promise....3-5 days...you will be clear.

​I don't know if you need medical detox...you didn't talk about how much you have been drinking....I would have died without the medical detox....

• Posted

Thanks missy. Woke up today feeling fresh and alert. Early days but I don't feel that guilt of the night before. I was always full of...tomorrow I'll give up but never did..but this time feels different. I lost self respect..gained a belly..lost lots of money..and today without alcohol I feel happier and have more self worth. Hope you're all doing good
    • Posted

Hi Tim and welcome,

My advice: don't put pressure on yourself by saying you're determined not to drink again - that could be a long time. Take it bit for bit one day at a time or even one hour at a time.

"I won't drink today."

You'll get loads of help on here.

Good luck. 

• Posted

"this time feels different"  you say...that is a really good sign.

​In AA they call it the spiritual awakening...not talking about God...talking about how your inner spirit is awakened...you start thinking differently and acting differently.  Cravings will come...but after a spiritual awakening I have found...I have the determination to fight the craving.

​I had a spritual awakening in 2005.  I CHANGED.  I remember calling my controlling husband from rehab and putting him in his place (he was the BOSS and wouldn't let me do anything...especially go to AA).  I called him from the rehab and I was a WHOLE different person.

I said to him.  When I get home...I'm GOING TO AA...I'm doing whatever keeps me well...and IF you don't LIKE IT...You can pack your bags.  I stayed sober 8 years and ended up ending that marriage.

​This time in Jan 2016...I had felt the same determination and "shift" in my way of thinking....it sounds like you have it too...doesn't mean I willl suceed..but I know I have a better chance than all the other times I quit in the past 2 years and did not have this "drastic change of attitude" feeling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.