Listing all the BAD alcohol gave to me

Posted , 11 users are following.

I don't miss....

Waking up in the morning frightened....unti I had that first sip of alcohol.

​Throwing up when I brushed my teeth

Going to the store in my pajamas with an overcoat to get alcohol as soon as I could

The look on the store clerks faces when they saw me at 8am

Not showering for days on end

Not eating for days on end

Missing family functions

Getting into bed with my clothes on

Getting into a dirty bed because I hadn't washed my clothes for days

​Listening to the men pick up the trash and hearing all the bottles clanging into their garbage trucks

Avoiding phone calls

Sending messages that were drunk messages to people I used to care about

Being distant from my b/f and peope I cared about

Not being able to be there for someone who asked for my help because I was too drunk to drive

Drinking stale beer because there was none in the house

Drinking vanilla extract because I couldn't make it to the store until I had a "shot" of alcohol

Drinking mouthwash at 2am because I had run out of beer and no stores were open

​Thinking of drinking "hand sanitizer" because of the large alcohol content when there was no alcohol around.

Driving in my car and needing to take a shot to complete my drive home..worrying about cops stopping me and dragging me into the station.

Going to the hospital at least 1x a month to be rehydrated and detoxed

Missed the ceremony for my dead sponser because I was so drunk

Missing important appointments because I was so drunk

The high blood pressure

The diarrhea (although this is stil a problem)

The vomiting half way thru the day and then resuming the drink

Putting bills aside and forgetting they were due (had to pay 2 months of mortgage in Feb because Jan I totally forgot to pay my mortgage).

​When I worked...missing work or not functioning correctly to do my job

Obsessing in the shower before work about how many hours were left before I could have a beer

Sneaking a beer into work when I would work overtime on a Saturday

People at work noticing the decline in my looks

​Losing muscle mass and strength in my body

​The light hurting my eyes so much that even on rainy days wearing sunglasses

Being afraid to leave the house whilst someone would see how horrible I looked

Having no connection with the outside world via computer or watching TV

Just sitting in one place drinking and smoking as much as I could.

​Waking up with bruises and not remembering how I got them.

Not taking proper care of my cat (changing litter or feeding)

​I don't miss any of these things....and probably some more that I can not think of right now. 

The best feeling in the world for me right now is to get up in the a.m..talk with you guys....eat breakfast.. look forward to my 3pm tea....and what I am going to cook for dinner...getting in my CLEAN pajamas...at around 9...and watching TV...taking the sleeping pills...reading my book and going to sleep with a smile on my face...that I made it another day!

2 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I love my walks with my dog and my kids, and a long hot soak in the bath, as well!  let's stay on the good road!
    • Posted

Hi j. I don't know you yet or your history but it's great to have you on the forum. I'm a massive dog lover and had dogs all my life. They are our greatest comfort along with our kids! My love of my life dog died age 16 2 years ago. It broke my heart, especially my 20 year old daughter who grew up with her. We have another beautiful spaniel now.

Anyway, where this is going, I went on a massive horrendous binge last October and my daughter and boyfriend, who lived with me at the time, took her away. Understandbly I wasn't capable of walking her. I love my daughter so much, we don't see each other now but friends by text. She lives about an hours drive from me with her boyfriend. I haven't the heart to get my doggie back as it would break her heart. My heart is broken but it's what I deserve for letting her down. She goes to dance academy in September so will get my dog back in the future. Just wanted to point out the consequences of my drinking really. Plus another dog was taken off me before this one but I can't talk about that as its too painful. 

Enjoy your walks with your dog and kids and don't let the demon destroy that x

• Posted

Wow that is alot to take off your chest...paper

​I'm sorry you went thru all that....and its not that you "deserve" anything...you were and are struggling...nothing to be ashamed of and the doggie is in a good place.

​If you could "control" the drinking you would...it will come....sad

• Posted

Thanks missy. Wish we had a like button like on Facebook! X
    • Posted

Isn't the heart at the bottom left a like button?

• Posted

Yep, just done it but you still have to go through the rigmarole of signing in, which as you know is a pain. Just meant a like button for quickness. Hope you're enjoying your day xx
    • Posted

oh yeah, know what you mean, if you have to keep sining in it's a right pain

• Posted

Yes, it's the heart at the bottom. 'Votes'.
  • Posted

We have all been there that's why we are here, l am happy u have left it behind u and now u can move forward, l enjoy your post they remind me of how l use to be.
  • Posted

Hmmmn,

It was the same for me (I had a dog though and didn't wear pyjamas other than when I was in hospital or de-tox). You've brought back a lot of memories to me and have bolstered my resolve. Thank you.

I've been sober a long time but I need to hear more posts like yours - I don't think about dinking but we never know.

A great post for me.   

• Posted

And thank you for being here and reminding me that it can be done!  Its really special to have people like you with long term sobriety still on top of their sobriety and knowing that it is lurking in the background.

​i was shocked when I drank after 8 years..that I could not stop...I thought well 8 years...I should be ok to have a few now...and what happened was all the stuff above and more....don't ever let yourself down thinking you CAN...because YOU CANT

• Posted

You'absolutely right. No, I can't. The demon is always there for me, I have no desire to drink again but I don't take sobriety for granted.

Let's hope we all stay on the right path together whichever path that may be.

Good luck and good for you.

• Posted

I had no desire to drink either at the 8 year mark....I just had a desire to be normal and have a dose of alcohol to take away my anger and fear that day...and all it did was add much more drama to my already drama filled life....sad

​You really would think...or at least I would think...that after not drinking for 8 long years...a mere 6 pack of beer would not be an issue.

​And the messed up thing was..my original thought was a 6 pack...but when I walked into the store that day it was a 12 pack that I actually bought.  Messed up.

• Posted

Hi Misssy, I've done the same; gone for a six pack then bought the 'special offers'  and thought I may as well buy whisky as well as I didn't like the taste of beer or lager funnily enough. Liquor was my tipple eventually.

Before I really hit the sobriety button; during my first attempts at sobriety, I'd have a few beers and felt okay, so I didn't drink for a few days then I thought, "that was okay, I'll try it again". You can surmise what happened next.

I used to think about being 'normal'; of course I think we meant 'normal, social drinkers'. Well, that's what I thought. I drank for the buzz mainly. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.