Lithium & antidepressant??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi is any1 taking lithium with an antidepressant? I want to stay on the lithium bt desparately need to stop the mirtazapine I'm taking ..most grateful for any income ..thankyou.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

I am taking Lithium (900mg) plus Cipralex (10mg) daily. The Dr. prescribed Mirtazapine to aid with sleep (15mg). I have been on this combination for 8-9 years and it works well. I would be hestiant to add an antidepressant to Lithium or any mood stabilizer without the guidance of a psychiatrist, as antidepressants have been know to trigger mania or hypomania.  Good luck.   Karin

• Posted

Hi karin

Thankyou for replying. . I am going to see my phyciatrist on Tuesday but wanted to try & suggest something to her.. I was on sertraline along side lithium up until Dec then started the mirtazapine. . I need an antidepressant because I go really low cry alot ..don't look after myself ...just like give up on everything. . Lithium stabilises me very well ... Thankgod ..

• Posted

Does lithium help with depression? Im on duluxetine and aripiprazole and feel so low since starting aripiprazole x
    • Posted

Hi Chris no it doesn't it's a mood stabiliser keeps you on a level with no manic highs.. I have bipolar & severe depression. . Finding hard to find an antidepressant that suits 😢
    • Posted

Thanks sharon. I've been on most antidepressants but since aripirazole im lower than ever. I have been diagnosed cyclothemia x ill every 3 months any ideas?
    • Posted

I havnt heard of what your taking ..I'm in UK very limited ..if I have any suggestions on a med after doing research it's always it's not legal in this country it's American. . People seem to get by on citrolpram. .Iv asked for that as I found someone from UK who is on it they said no again I'm guessing it's expensive so now I'm starting venlafaxine after coming off horrible mirt..I'm told ven isn't good either ..
    • Posted

I've been on mirt and ven and most others and still ill every three months im in uk x
    • Posted

What do u mean ill? ? Like really low?? Have u been on sertraline? Ahhhh Ru .. must be like a lottery where u live what meds this is my last pill now she said . If it doesn't work that's it .
    • Posted

Yes really low no motivation to do anything at all. Cant drive or cook etc. You need a new gp. Yes tried sertraline x
    • Posted

I get like that too.. I sleep in my clothes everything is forced feel like a real tramp ..nothing gets done at all. It's a new phyciatrist I need I'm just scared how il be treated .. she never even has my file calls me something else... even told me off for not doin my bloods she was lookin at someone else's file. I hated sertraline bt stuck it out over 2yrs ..made me yawn alday ..couldn't deal with lights when shopping make me wana fall asleep on me feet..x
    • Posted

Yes you do need a new one that's disgusting how she's treated you. I totally understand where you're coming from I dont wash properly or anything I really let myself go and everything else. Demand to see someone else she's not helping you at all x
    • Posted

I think I'm gonna have to especially if this venlafaxine don't work I dnt think I could face her. I broke down in her office I was that bad she just made it so much worse got to the point where I said I just feel like dying I cnt live in this head in tears n she just said I'm giving u venlafaxine bye.

What is your documented illness? X

• Posted

How. Awful you must change thats terrible No one has the right to treat you like that you're ill .. Im cyclothemic which I think is borderline bipolar. Google it. My cycle is getting more frequent every three months its a nightmare . How about you? X
    • Posted

Horrid woman...

I'm bipolar with severe depression. . Which is unusual so she says.. I havnt heard of yours thought it was a pill 😂 maybe u should suggest trying lithium.. with it being borderline bipolar .. do u ever have crazy highs mad shopping sprees .. feel like uv been on the vodka the way your acting? Like invisible? X

• Posted

Ahhhh just read up on it & it's says can be treated with lithium or quetiapine. . Stay away from the quetiapine. .I found it was the better drug but omg the weight I piled on. It's a cheaper drug that's slows your matabilism forever so it's a living hell. I saw a tranee at the hosp he told me this said I should be on lithium. .you pt weight on at 1st but soon can shift it. U have to have your bloods done every 3months too x
    • Posted

I do have highs but not out of control although I do some daft things like having parties then feel ill and cant handle the people coming round! I do spend a bit more but only cos I havent been able to go out for three months x
    • Posted

Lithium could work for you it's worth a try after what your going through all the time x
    • Posted

Thanks I tried quitiapine but didn't like it and lithium was mentioned but put me on aripiprazole and felt worse been on it since december but stopping it feel so brain dead and lazy x
    • Posted

Thank you. You feel so alone about this sometimes. Im hoping for a med review soon so will mention it. my dad was on lithium but he was really bad bipolar x
    • Posted

Yes u do .. I dnt have any suport from my family so it's very lonely.. its worth a try just for your peace of mind isn't it. I got offered years ago but said no .. so silly back then .

It's inherited to isn't is. I read your illness it's a hard 1 2 prescribe you right but can move to bipolar if not treated right or in good time . I think that must be drainin alone x

• Posted

Thank you so much for listening. Yes I think this may be my only option now. I will see what they say at my review. Keep in touch and let me know how you get on with your psychiatrist change x here whenever you need a chat x
    • Posted

Arhhhhh thankyou Chris youv been a great listener too 😊 yes definitely keep in touch be good to hear how you get on too xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.