little to no appetite after surgery??

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am about 1 1/2 weeks post op for my L3-S1 fusion, decompression laminectomy and other issues they found when they went in. I'm just curious if anyone has not been hungry since surgery? i mean i have to force myself to eat or it takes forever for me to eat. i have no problem getting my water in. Last night i was eating and i got so nauseous i had to sit in front of my trash bucket. So weird!

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi DWP :-)

What meds are you taking ??

I was on a large concoction of meds after my fusion, I did loose my apitite for about 3-4 weeks after surgery but as I came of my pain killers, the apitite came back.

Regards

George (UK)

• Posted

I'm on 5 mg of percocet and im on valium for spasms (which i don't take). It's stange because i've never had a problem with it before (in case it is the medication). yogurt is the only thing that my body has been only been anble to keep down.. Today is a better day, ive been eating better. Yesterday i puked my brains out. Sucks!! Thank you for responding!!

• Posted

How strange as that's exactly what has happened to me. I had C5/6 and C6/7 discectomy and fusion back in April. I have no appetite at all yet am on no medication now. I am starting to do some longer walks thinking it's my inactivity causing it

• Posted

That could be it too. I have been increasing my walking and yesterday i puked my brains out. It's getting so annoying! Today is a better day and it's never happened to me after surgery like this before. Was this your first surgery? If not, has it happend to you before?!

• Posted

I think loss of appetite is normal, being sick over it may not, unless -- as mentioned -- your meds are messing with you.  This should pass, however.   
    • Posted

It's driing me up a wall! haha, the smell of food makes me sick its terrible!

• Posted

I've just left a post on one of the other conversations asking how you were doing, if I had read all my notifications I would know how you are!

Hows the pain? Don't worry too much about not eating as long as you are drinking plenty of water. It's probably whatever meds they have you on.  I don't know if you are in USA or UK but here in UK there are things you can take if you're not eating, your GP can prescribe them for you.

Keep strong

Linda

• Posted

Pain is almost not even there, but when i try to slowly increase my walking i get very very sore and i do get pain. but nothing compared to before surgery. I'm definitely getting a ton of water! The hospital gave me a 32 oz awesome water bottle and i drink like 4-5 a day lol! I am in the USA, thank you il look into it!! :D

• Posted

I didn't eat at lot at first, kept hydrated.  Are you still on pain meds?  Sounds liyou are getting better!  I'm in USA as well.

• Posted

My wife got in a pile of really gross (but irresistable) frozen dinners that I basically just hammered down -- that and butterscotch ice cream!  When you get your appitite back you will go for it!
    • Posted

omggggg butterscotch ice creammm!!! im going out and looking for that tomorrow!! haha
  • Posted

Hi there my brother is six days post op for what you had done,he is in chronic pain and can barely eat anything,he was back at the a and e on sunday as he could not breathe properly and had a lot of redness eminating from the wound,they said he did not have an infection,but tonight he is having trouble getting deep breaths in and feeling hot whith chronic indigestion for two days straght i am really worried for him as it could be a sign of dvt anyone advise please x

• Posted

oh no!! prayers sent!! hope he feels better and everything goes ok!!!!
    • Posted

thank you so do i he is going to ring the hospital again tommorow,he is not a weak person he has had half his thumb removed in the past through skin cancer that he thought was a normal wart plus nymph nodes ,plus carpel tunnel surgery in april and i think he may have gone in too soon for this after the last one,but in the uk if you get offered a fast appointment you just grab it,if you cancel as i wanted him to do he would be put on a waiting list for maybe a year and he was falling over in work with the non stability in his legs x
    • Posted

Sounds like a tough cookie to me! Prayers sent from Boston, MA! I pray he has a very fast recovery! He has a great support system and that's exactly what he needs to get him through this! :D 

• Posted

hi there i got him to eat a solid  meal earlier thank you for listening and for your support bless your heart x
    • Posted

That's what this support site is for! :D Sounds like he's doing better! <3 We are all in this together!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.