Liver high ALT

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I was just after some advice. My blood tests have come back and showing a ALT level of 55. My GP wants me to have a scan and I'm not allowed to drink alcohol for a month until the next blood test.

How bad does my liver sound? Is it alcohol related? I take daily medication of tegretol and anti histamines, could it be that? Can't imagine a life without a glass of wine in the evening (just a glass, not a bottle!)

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi John, I am on all sorts of prescribed drugs and my ALT goes up and down.  When it was 53, I asked my GP and he said that he would start to worry if it was over 100.

I don't drink alcohol at all now, it isn't compatible with so many of the drugs I take.  I've actually gone off it!

Try stopping the alcohol for a month and see what happens.  These blips happen from time to time.

I'll be interested to hear how the next bloods go.

• Posted

Hi friend, stop drinking & do what your doc says.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you about levels (Everyone is different) I had pretty normal readings and ended up with a transplant a year later.

Get the scan done & find out what's going on.

Believe me you have no idea how much system stuff your liver does and how important it is. That's why it's called Vital.

Depending on what kind of scan it is, fibroscans & the ones they do to pregnant women (can't remember what they're called) but you can usually be told by the scanner what condition your liver is in without having to wait.

Going without drinking for a month is far better than having any damage to your liver friend. 

• Posted

A full scan isn't the only way to tell if there is damage.

My ultrasound found scarring and other black spots of damage and the guy who did the scan showed me on the screen.

If there was damage it would have shown up on the ultrasound scan.

Maybe you're lucky and there isn't any damage.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi John..My liver function tests were quite high and i was told to come off alcohol for 5 months and never in a million years did i think i could cope without it (sad to say)...but I did....My levels are still not completely back to normal but heading the right direction...I now will not go over 5 units of alcohol a week (normal is 14 for a woman) and im so happy just to be able to have that...so it is worth abstaining ...it may not have to be forever, but believe me its possible...I could not believe how much better I felt in general by reducing my alcohol intake...good luck
  • Posted

If not  already done so, have an Iron Studies test to check your ferritin and TS%, to eliminate a problem with that.
  • Posted

Hi john.my ALT remained to be checked fir five years,three of these i was very ill and in severe pain.not once did i have a full screen despite it remaining elevated.had full screen last month showing i have primary biliary cirrhosis.raised ALT is a sign of liver damage.have you any pain? Kim
  • Posted

Hi Guys,

thanks for all your comments, they are very informative and filling in knowledge gaps. Liver scan looks like it will be end of june. The not drinking alcohol is becoming more ingrained thankfully despite trading wine for a second living and 11 days in with that now. No liver pain, i feel fine, not even filling better from not having half a bottle of wine a night! I am starting to think my recent sedentary lifestyle might have played a part in this, a more local drive to work job has ruled out calorie buring commutes to london.

• Posted

Hi john,have you had a full liver blood screen ?
  • Posted

My pain was inbetween and under my right shoulder blade
  • Posted

I don't know what blood test i had. The one i am having in a month is a gamma glutamyl transferase ggt (tpp gp). Lord knows what that means? Whether this was the same one that gave me a high alt result i dont know.
    • Posted

Alt is released when there is liver damage.5 years i suffered.you Ned a full liver screen bloods x
    • Posted

My alt was roughly like your reading.it remained like this for five years.i had full screen,including ama which tested positive.i do not want someone to suffer like me
    • Posted

Ggt is released to re cover the liver from alcohol
    • Posted

Also many liver problems aren't alcohol related.mine is an autoimmune disease
    • Posted

Hi Kim...just wondering how you found out it wasnt alcohol related and an autoimmune disease...My GGT has been raised for while and even after stopping alcohol for 5 months was still up...but yet they still say to cut back on alcohol...so confusing

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.