Liver high ALT

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I was just after some advice. My blood tests have come back and showing a ALT level of 55. My GP wants me to have a scan and I'm not allowed to drink alcohol for a month until the next blood test.

How bad does my liver sound? Is it alcohol related? I take daily medication of tegretol and anti histamines, could it be that? Can't imagine a life without a glass of wine in the evening (just a glass, not a bottle!)

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just though id give you all an update. My liver alt levels returned to 39 after not drinking alcohol for a month and liver scans showed no damage at all. It seems the final advice to me was that the tegretol i take may be stressing the liver but t need to cut down the alcohol, a drop of 16 in alt after a months abstinence clearly showed where the problem is so needless to say, im trying to cut out the booze in the week at least.
  • Posted

Hi John

I had a liver that was almost completely shot and Doc said I had to stop drinking or lose my liver functions or worse. so as I found it imposible to stop drinking by myself I sought help with AA locally. This saved my liver and more inportantly saved my life. this was eight years ago and I have'nt needed a drink  (a day at a time) in that 8 years. If you would like to chat about it please get in touch. Rob2741

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.