Liver pain and stomach cramps

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi. I was wondering if someone could help. I was diagnosed with celiac disease around 4 years ago. I followed the GF diet for around a year but slowly started eating more and more gluten in my diet. I felt it wasn’t giving me a sore stomach so wasn’t to much of a problem. Around 2 months ago, I was getting various symptoms, pain in my testicle, pain around the liver area, and general tiredness. I decided to sort my eating out and for 6 weeks I have now been gluten free. I went to the doctors regarding my testicle and he diagnosed epidyditmitis so some antibiotics cleared that away. I just presumed my pain around my liver are would go away as my body got used to being gluten free. We are now 6 weeks later and I would say the pain is slightly worse than it was. I have also been suffering from stomach cramps for the past 3/4 days. The pain in my liver is just below my right rib cage and occasionally goes down my side. 

Should I continue with the GF diet and hope it gets better or do I need to be checked out? Any idea what might be causing my sore liver? 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Had any blood tests? Liver function test? Ultrasound for liver and gallbladder?
    • Posted

Thanks for your response. No, not had any tests done. Not mentioned the pain to my doc as I just presumed it would settle down as my body got used to my new diet. 
  • Posted

Hi, I would say that if you have been diagnosed with Celiacs it is never a good idea to have gluten in your diet at any point even if you think a little won't hurt. The gluten will always do damage to Celiacs. The pain you are feeling may be a radiating pain extending from your stomach. However, it never hurts to investigate if indeed it is originating from the liver. The symptoms that I experience from gluten is severe vomiting so the idea of consuming it never enters my mind.

Good luck.

• Posted

I have now had a bloods taken and a liver function test and they have all come back normal. Dr can’t see me for a follow up appt for another 5 days. Anyone have any ideas as to what the pain in my side/liver could be? 
  • Posted

I really would ask for a stool test I have had to find out myself what it wrong Its H pylori
    • Posted

Many thanks for ur response. They symptoms sound like it could be that but according to google it isn’t as common in developed countries. I’m from the UK. Will certainly ask my doctor about it though. 
    • Posted

I too live in UK I have never travelled to 3rd world countries I am over fussy about hygiene Have not eaten junk food for 40 years I am shocked to find I have this and had to push for testing All other tests came back fine
    • Posted

I really appreciate u taking the time respond. I’m actually going to see the doc later today so will bring this up. Many thanks. 
    • Posted

Got the stool test today so just got to wait a week for results. Thanks for suggesting this as my doctor really wasn’t sure what to do. Do u mind me asking what ur symptoms were/are? 
    • Posted

I have a band of pain around my waist and back

It feels I am being squeezed I feel very bloated most of time

I do have gall stones but two eminent consultants that I paid say I don't have gall stone symptoms but that of IBS

I then started a fod map diet it did nothing

I then was concerned that I might have cancer and persuaded Gp to give me more blood tests that came back normal except a positive reading for H Pylori

I was given a course of very strong antibiotics I had a very bad reaction to them and after one dose they were stopped

I am awaiting stool test result which I had to persuade my doctor to give me Only that test can prove I have a current bacteria

I am so mad I am having to do all the research myself My doctors have been hopeless and the consultants Keep in touch and ask any questions I have read so much Jen

• Posted

I got my results back and there negative for H Pylori. Been taking omeprazole and ranitidine for a week also and they have made little to no difference. Really at my wits end as to what this pain under my right rib and down my side can be. 
  • Posted

You need to be off medication for test to work

Goggle it and you will see You need to be free of stomach meds for a couple of weeks

I had a positive blood test I now know this is not a reliable test anyway

It just shows you have had it sometime in your life

I insisted on a stool test which came back negative but I had taken one dose of the triple pack so not sure whether even that affected testing I am in lots of pain tonight bloated stomach flank pain on both sides and pain in back

All blood tests normal and stool tests Could it be Candida ?

• Posted

I didn’t start the tablets until after I took the test as the dr had advised the same. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.