living with the effects of Lichen Sclerosus

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have been living with this condition for about 3 years. I was diagnosed after  a couple of white spots  appeared  around vulva area.  I had a biopsy which cofirmed  LS.

At first it was just itchy and uncomfortable. As time went on the whole area around and inside are now affected. This has completly taken over my life. I am unable to participate in any sexual activities as the pain is too great and the area starts bleeding.

I have tried everything from steroid creams, tape containing a pain killing agent to a numbing cream. They helped at first but then became less useful.

One thing that has helped is using aqueous cream to wash the area as soap or shower gels cause irritation. My consultant has also said about wearing cotton knickers as, it cause less irritation.

To date I am having six injections every three months into the affected areas. It helps but only last for six week max. I am given gas and air to help with the pain while having the proceedure.

I also have RA and Fibro

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

RA and fibro on top of LS sounds tough. You mention that the LS is also inside. Are you sure you don't also have Lichen Planus? That goes inside the vagina and is very painful. If you haven't experienced improvement in three years with proper use of the right steroid ointment – that sounds severe.

I think the best thing we can do when overwhelmed is explore stress management techniques. Not sitting-on-a-cushion meditation, but mindful awareness. I was an angry drama queen when I discovered these methods. The practices really settled me down and improved my stress-realted conditions.

• Posted

I will talk to my consultant and ask if it may also be planus. One of these conditions is depressing never mind having all three. I feel like iam constantly battling and losing. Thanks for your assistance

shaz

• Posted

Hi Shaz--I know what you mean by constantly battling and losing. I have a number of autoimmune problems, including LS, too. Have you checked out the autoimmune discussion section here on the forum? I spend most of my spare time researching what's happening in the field of autoimmune disorders. I am determined to get better and not keep developing more and more disorders, as I have seemed to. We seem to be the canaries in the coal mine with overactive and misdirected immune systems, likely due to a disrupted gut bacterial balance--one that maybe didn't get the correct information and wiring early in life. One thing that seems to help me a lot (though not cure, so far) is eating whole, unprocessed foods that is free of  grain, soy, and dairy, and sugar. Some people with arthritis are improved with a trial of removing nightshade veggies also (potatoes, bell peppers, etc.). If you haven't already, try googling autoimmune diets and you may find some good info. --Suzanne
    • Posted

Hi suzanne00. You so very good points here, I will check them out. I also suffer from b12 deficiency. 

Thanks.  Its goid to able to talk to people in the boat.

• Posted

This far the alkaline diet has worked for me.  (no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, no alcohol, no caffeine)  There is definately something in avoiding certain foods.
    • Posted

Just wondering Hanny if you still get flare ups since doing alkaline diet?
    • Posted

Deb, a few weeks ago I had the flue.  Did have fever and such, resulting in weakness all over.  Resulting in a flare up.  However, because I recognized it fast enough it was soon under control again.  But I had to use globetasol a few days in a row to repress it.

Main thing with the alkaline diet and bicarb combo is that fusing stopped and gradually diminished.  At present I'm as good as free from any fusing.  I count my lucky stars.  Though it takes constant care and attention. LS never goes away.  You always have to remain alert.   

• Posted

I, too, have been wondering about the differentiation between planus and sclerosus.  When there is oral involvement, especially erosive oral lichen planus would not it follow that the vulvar area would be planus also?  Morrell, you mention scalp involvement.  Could that be planus?  Is it all treated the same?   Erosive planus can be very aggressive I understand, and oral very longstanding.  Does anyone have any clarification?  Does it even matter if steroids or comfort measures are offered for both.  Sorry, lots of questions, i know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.