Living with this for two years-depressed

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just found this forum and I am so happy to have found it. I have been living with this for over two years. I feel like I cant take it much longer. I have been using Estrace for almost two months. It initially worked, but now there is a constant burning. Before that I was on Premarin which did nothing. My main symptom is dryness and burning. When I wake up at nite and urinate, I lay there shaking my legs, who can go back to sleep? I have blown discs in my neck, a right shoulder that needs to be replaced and this atrophic vaginitis is the worst. I don't want to live like this!! The only thing that works so far is hydrocodone. It gives me periodic relief. Now my physician doesn't want to prescribe that anymore and is saying try amitriptylene. Is he kidding? Thati s mainly for stress incontinence! I am already on an antidepressant and nerve medication. I have seen a urologist and a gynecologist. I have had extensive blood test and now am scheduled to see another gynecologist. Sitting and trying to sleep are the worst.

God help me!!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you Susan. This just started for me where I have burning. I actually had a tear in my vagina. I was given hydrocortisone cream, which is working. However, they said the bleeding was coming from my uterus, not the tear. So I am in the process of going through many tests. Regardless of the other problems (polyps), I still have the dryness issue to deal with. I had no clue this would happen after menopause. I wish there was more education so that I wouldn't have been so shocked. This site has helped tremendously.

• Posted

That is exactly what I was thinking! I also had no clue that this was coming. I had been so busy taking care of my mom and aunt who both had lung cancer and kept ignoring my aches and pains. Finally, I couldn't ignore it anymore. Did you use the hydro cream on the urethral area? Was it a special cream? I have been menopausal for about 13 years and my stupid ex doctor wouldnt prescribe any hormones. I had terrible hot flashes. Now I am left with this. Thanks so much for your reply.

• Posted

Yes, so far just the hydrocortisone. I never had any hot flashes. I haven't requested anything with hormones...yet.

So sorry about your family. We tend to place otheres in front of us. Mine just came out of nowhere I was never educated about Menopause. Think of this...when I had a baby, I knew everything about pregnancy, child develpment, behavior, etc. I read tons of books. Now I'm wondering if there is a good text book to sit down and read about menopause.

• Posted

Hi Susan

Please look into Vagifem.  After 2 weeks of Estrace my doctor gave me Vagifem 2x a week.  It takes a few weeks to finally feel more normal....

I hope this helps

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

I am taking a form of it. I take Estrace which pops up when you enter Vagifem. It initially worked when I used it every day, but now I am using it every other day and it is not working anymore. 

thank you for your response sad

• Posted

Here in the US Estrace is in a cream form.  Vagifem is a tablet that is inserted with applicator.  They come individual applicators with tablet.  Please ask your doctor about the Vagifem. There is a generic now called Yuvafem.
    • Posted

I used about a half of an inch of Estrace in a vaginal applicator at night for the two weeks before the Vagifem.
  • Posted

Susan I have not been suffering for as long as you. Mine started overnight last August. One minute I have some pain and irritation after sex and the occasional UTI the next minute I am in the most extreme burning pain that was 24/7. It never let up. And it has changed my life. I was so glad I found this site because no one family , friends or doctors seemed to understand. I too take hydrocondone when I can't stand it. And my doctor gave me amitriptylene that I never took. I have sat in a uro/gyn exam room with shaking all over because of the pain and she thought I was drug seeking!!!!!.

I'm now using yuvafem three times a week and things have calmed down again. I started on Estrace cream. I am by no means pain free and sex is only a dream. 

I did go for a consult for the mona lisa treatment but $1800 is out of the question right now.

All my chairs have memory foam cushions and sleep without a norco is difficult, The burning will wake me up. I wish everyone would understand how this cripples your life.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I wrote you a private message with some suggestions that may help you.  Please check your private messages.  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.