Long standing rash following my hip replacement

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi,

This is a strange one but somebody may have heard of a similar case. I had a total hip replacement in early Dec last year. It went well and was a complete success. During my time in hospital I noticed a piece of hard round skin, about the size of a 5p piece. I mentioned it but nobody was unduly concerned. This was on my left hand side, lower inner calf, on the same side as the hip replacement.

As time went on the back of my leg was covered in a very angry rash. The iitching and burning was like nothing I've ever come across before. It then spread to the back of my other leg and is now on the back of my other arm. I have seen every Dermatologist in the hospital and have had countless blood tests, a chest x ray, a Doppler test. I've been on steroids (6 a day for 2 months), antibiotics, steroid creams, pain killers. Ictho paste bandages. At the moment three of my limbs are covered in tubi grips. I have had two biopsies which didn't really show much. I've lost count of all the appointments I've had. At night I'm on Gabopentin to take away the pain so I can sleep. Nobody has seen spots like it or knows what it is. On my left leg it had a blue tinge on top of the rash, very attractive! Months later it's still there, albeit faded...

I really am at the end of my tether. I know this started when I was in hospital as I've always had good skin which heals quickly. I've always told them about the connection but it's been played down. My next stage is to have patch tests, including testing for cleaning materials but also checking for components within my new hip such as metal (my hip is a ceramic one but apparently is held in place with metal). I have involved the hospital where I had my hip replaced (a private hospital but I had it through the NHS). Finally they are listening to what I've said all along... I'm wondering if, worse case scenario. I am allergic to the hip. Would that one need to come out and what would it be replaced with? I just want this nightmare to end, the hip replacement was a walk in the park compared to this.... Can anybody advise me please, I haven't changed anything in this time such as washing powder, foods I eat etc,,,,  Do you know anybody else it's happened to? I'm now in my 9th month and really want them to give me some answers... Thank you.

7 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ouch - poor you !  I know that we can develop strange allergies, even to things we have always been perfectly okay with. Did you have a cemented or uncemented hip?  

About 6 years ago I developed an allergy to all the NSAIDS like ibuprofen which I had always happily taken for joint pain. I had itchy hives (minor compared to yours) for over a year, and it wasn't until I wound up in hospital twice in two weeks with breathing difficulties after taking some ibuprofen that we were able to track it down. No more ibuprofen, no more allergic reactions. 

If yours is to do with your hip I wonder what they can do?  Please keep us posted.  Sounds like quite a mystery. 

Healings hugs, 

Laura 

• Posted

how awfull for you. Allergies can happen at any time. Do you know exactly what they used in the hip e.g metal? , ceramic?  

Good luck I can't believe they haven't found out what it is with all the tests you've been through!

good luck, keep pushing. 

Carol 😄 Xx

• Posted

Thanks Carol. I was told it is a ceramic hip but there is some metal in there. I will keep pushing on this, I'm too fed up to give up now. I appreciate your kind support.
  • Posted

Could it be due to electrosurgical burns? What was the colour of the hard skin on your inner calf?
    • Posted

Hi,

The skin was just normal flesh coloured but with a really hard feel to it. I know it all started when I was in hospital and won't give up till they believe me. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi

I'm sorry I'm not going to be any help. Never heard of anything like this after a THR but I really do feel for you. It must be absolutely awful

Please let us know what happens

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thanks Eileen.

I've never heard of anything like this either. I feel really worn down by all the tests and medications I'm on. I'm sure there's light at the end of the tunnel but I just can't see the tunnel at the moment. I must keep smiling, there are so many people much worst off than me who would swap places with me in a heartbeat. Thanks for your kind support.

Love

Pat

• Posted

Look up metallosis after hip replacement and see if you have any of these symptoms.

​As far as I know stainless is not used anymore. Mine is a ceramic joint and the stem is titanium. Hope you can find info on the internet as you must feel so frustrated.

​June

• Posted

Thanks June, I'll have a look, I appreciate your help,
  • Posted

Dearest Chocolate -

I am so sorry that you are in such pain ... have they ruled out psoriasis

My girlfriend had it after a stay in the hospital - not sure if it was related or not - it just came up after she had immunization shot and fortunately, she responded very well to the treatment - 

good luck and keep us posted -

warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

I'm glad your girlfriend's okay now. I thought it may be Psoriasis but they said it's definitely not. Unfortunately they know everything it isn't but not what it is... I just want a magic cream or tablet that makes this nightmmare go away. I'll just keep going foor tests and hopefully the eureka moment will happpen! Thans again.

Regards,

Pat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.