Long standing rash following my hip replacement

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi,

This is a strange one but somebody may have heard of a similar case. I had a total hip replacement in early Dec last year. It went well and was a complete success. During my time in hospital I noticed a piece of hard round skin, about the size of a 5p piece. I mentioned it but nobody was unduly concerned. This was on my left hand side, lower inner calf, on the same side as the hip replacement.

As time went on the back of my leg was covered in a very angry rash. The iitching and burning was like nothing I've ever come across before. It then spread to the back of my other leg and is now on the back of my other arm. I have seen every Dermatologist in the hospital and have had countless blood tests, a chest x ray, a Doppler test. I've been on steroids (6 a day for 2 months), antibiotics, steroid creams, pain killers. Ictho paste bandages. At the moment three of my limbs are covered in tubi grips. I have had two biopsies which didn't really show much. I've lost count of all the appointments I've had. At night I'm on Gabopentin to take away the pain so I can sleep. Nobody has seen spots like it or knows what it is. On my left leg it had a blue tinge on top of the rash, very attractive! Months later it's still there, albeit faded...

I really am at the end of my tether. I know this started when I was in hospital as I've always had good skin which heals quickly. I've always told them about the connection but it's been played down. My next stage is to have patch tests, including testing for cleaning materials but also checking for components within my new hip such as metal (my hip is a ceramic one but apparently is held in place with metal). I have involved the hospital where I had my hip replaced (a private hospital but I had it through the NHS). Finally they are listening to what I've said all along... I'm wondering if, worse case scenario. I am allergic to the hip. Would that one need to come out and what would it be replaced with? I just want this nightmare to end, the hip replacement was a walk in the park compared to this.... Can anybody advise me please, I haven't changed anything in this time such as washing powder, foods I eat etc,,,,  Do you know anybody else it's happened to? I'm now in my 9th month and really want them to give me some answers... Thank you.

7 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Boy oh boy Chocolate, I feel sorry for you. You said that on the onset "The skin was just normal flesh coloured but with a really hard feel to it." You didn't feel a lump just a piece of your leg that had a really hard skin on it. Did it hurt? And do you still have that area that is still affected? In other words is this same spot still hard?

I think that is where I would start my research, not researching your current issues, but research that very first issue.

Good luck to you dear, you really are a medical mystery. I have never done so myself because I relaly don't have any health issues however my friend goes to China regularly and swears by Chinese Medical doctors. She is an ovarian cancer survivor (and not many women survive ovarian cancer) and is very attentive to her health. What have you got to lose? I wouldn't get my hopes up to high but in your situation I think I would try a Chinese doctor for an exam.

• Posted

Hi Jodi,

Thanks for your post. It's great that your friend has survived ovarian cancer, as not many women do. The area where it all started vanished after a couple of months and this nightmare took over... I have considered a Chinese doctor. Cost has been an issue really. I'm hoping that these patch tests that I'm having in a couple of weeks will reveal more. The doctors have said the same as you that I'm a medical mystery. I jjust want to feel normal (whatever that is!) again. I've been very lucky and always had good skin which heals easily. I'll post on here if I learn any more about this condition. I did ask them about meningitis but apparently it's not that. I've looked on lots of rash websites but nothing matches. Thanks again.

Pat

• Posted

You can take a picture of yoru rash and attach it to a comment.

When you make a comment, in the box that you write look up top of that box on the right. The little icon showing a mountain and a sun is the icon to attach a picture to your comment.

In the meantime a Google search shows me Meningitis produces a very unique rash that you can test usig a clear drinking glass. The website Healthline has pictures of a meningitis rash, I googled "meningococcal meningitis rash" and that Healthline webstie was the first that came up.

Also in the United States the Mayo Clinic is respected as one of our premier research clinics. At the Mayo Clinic website in thier search engine type in "rashes" a drop down list will appear with pictures of rashes the first item on the drop down list. I think I would try and find pictures of rashes that look like your rash.

I don't think I would research at all on anything about a rash after a hip replacement, I would simply research on rashes. Please know you have my deepest sympathies and my hope that you find a cure.

• Posted

Hey there. Not sure if you are still checking this site for responses, but I was wondering if you ever got a resolution for your itching problem. My dad had a hip replacement a few months ago and about a month ago he developed a slight rash on his back and intense inching all over his body. It's so bad he can't sleep at night and the doctors have prescribed gabopentin to see if that helps him sleep. Have you had any success in treating yours?

• Posted

Never heard back from the original poster, but we finally found out what was causing my Dad's itching... At first we thought it might be an allergic reaction to material in the hip replacement.  Turns out he picked up SCABIES during his hospital stay.  What a relief!  The idea of possibly having to redo the hip replcement was unfathomable.  Scabies is no picnic, but it could have been so much worse!  

• Posted

hi johnny, 

that is good news - interesting that it happened in the hospital -- were there other patients who were affected by this?

hi johnny, 

wow, that is interesting ... you are right, itcould have been worse ... were other patients affected ?

thank you for coming back

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hey. My mom had a hip replacement done last week and has developed an itchy rash on her back too. We've  been using caladryl to try to get it to clear up, but so far, it's still spreading. How did they decide it was scabies on your dad?

• Posted

The usual technique is to do a skin scrapping in a very small amount of oil. It is then sent to the lab where we look at the material gathered with a microscope and we see the little devils if they are there. That is of course after someone has raised the possibility on clinical grounds
    • Posted

I had severe reaction to blood thinning tablets , switched back to injections 
    • Posted

Thanks. I asked her doctor today and they think it's an allergy to a med. suggested benedryl. We'll see.

• Posted

Hi, I had knee op 2 years ago , and developed a severe reaction to blood thinning tablets ....this op I stuck with blood thinning injections , and no rash x
    • Posted

I'm experiencing the same type of rash and uncontrollable itching two weeks after hip replacement and they switched me from aspirin to another blood thinner and still same results. Ive been wondering if it were blood thinners. What symptoms were you having?

• Posted

I was very pleased to see your information.  I have had this 'rash' (with the blue border color) along with the itching and most of the description you mentioned.  I had my hips replaced in the early 90's and it was probably 6?+- years later when the 'allergy' appeared.  I was exposed to a long HOT  auto trip and my legs swelled to begin with, but pressing needs during the trip did not let me pay much attention.  When I returned home, it persisted and I could not allow the sun to touch any place even my hands, face (tho it did not swell or itch, etc.).  Stress also increased my suffering.  After a time I found aspirin  and avoiding heat was my best  chance for relief.  Now I have had it come back…during a staph infection, I noticed the antibiotic treatment (it was extensive) helped my ‘rash’.  Now the latest siege has lasted over a year and I use aspirin for inflammation, stay out of sun, and keep my legs as cool as I can.  I live in a place where we have cold cold winters…but I still sleep with my legs outside of the covers.  Avoiding sugar in my diet seems to help..but that is hard to do..Even graham crackers sometimes start the itching/nerve ‘stabs’ attacks.  Also notice that in the morning when I rise, the return of circulation ? blood going back down my legs? Seems to set off the itching which is impossible to ignore.  I eat a very simple diet because food seems to set it off…but might also be that I am sitting down and circulation in affected….Just wish someone would say it’s ________________________ and all you have to do is __________________.  Don’t suppose this is going to happen, but if you have any info, please let me know.  One more thing I have thot of….my ‘hips’ are metal, but the ‘teflon’ ?? insert that fits between the metal ball and the metal pelvic receiver has been in there a long long time.  It is 2016 so some of that ‘teflon’ stuff has got to have been ‘shaved’ off and oops, my ‘rash’ is downhill from my hips.  The affected parts start a bit below the knee.  Also, one more bit of info is that I have had my left ankle operated on….that surgery was before the ‘problem’ began but is in the same leg and area where the ‘rash’ originally began, hummmm.  At one time before all of this agony began, I asked an orthopedic doctor what happened when that material was worn loose – he said they really didn’t know!!! Uh oh.  If you have any info that would be of help, please please contact me.  God Bless m81397

• Posted

Look up metalllosis. Metal on metal can cause all kinds of horrific issues! The shavings can "poison" your body. They can disintegrate your bone, too! There are MANY lawsuits against the companies that produced these hip replacement prostheses. How you get an answer and get better soon! I'm sending you thoughts and prayers for healing and wellness! ??

• Posted

Hello

What ever happened with this rash?

I am 2 months post op partial hip replacement

Have a trash/ redness around surgical incision. Area 8" x 14". Gets worse at night

Warm to touch

In mornings it's better and not warm.

Rheumatologist thinks it is circulation related in tissues in sensitive area.

No infection claims 3 doctors

Curious as to what happened with you.

Cur

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.