Long term antidepressants treatment

Posted , 8 users are following.

This is something I found today and thought it would be good to share it to anyone like me that has been on antidepressants for a long time and wondering why they get worse and not better. Please not this is only about long term use of antidepressants.

Antidepressants are crucial for treatment in the acute phase when untreated symptoms are at there worse. With long term use the brain sets to work compensating for the drug induced changes with a process called oppositional tolerance, the brain tries to re- establish its usual balance of production/ release and reuptake of neurotransmitters as every system of the body does when it's normal functioning has been disterbed . The meds artificially jack up the brains level of serotonin so the neurobiology of the system reacts by reducing its own production of the neurotransmitter. In other words if antidepressants use continues long enough the brain will create a system to cancel out its effects.

Well this is exactly what I have thought for a very long time now and one of the reasons I'm off mine after 32 years. By the way I found that information via the London institute if phyciatrists 

1 like, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Michael,

The moderators do not allow threads to other sites to be posted because some people would use a site like this to advertise their products for financial gain. I hope you can see how the site could easily be flooded for people who really needed help.

The rules are in a write up when we register for an account.

None of us can post threads, it's not a problem, just explain what people need to search for on a particular subject and leave it to the reader.

Best regards

robert

• Posted

That's what I did but I needed to ad the name of the person they needed to google 
    • Posted

Hi Anne and Michael.

I am sorry you are suffering from all this everyday stuff when you are working on getting healthy, Michael.Its very hard to afford to be well, even though our jobs, families and the tax dept. even, depend on us being well enough to make a living and be responsible financially. A catch 22?

I think a book I am reading may be a big help to us all. Its called The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. She recommends supplements but also diet alone can make massive differences to our seratonin levels, our homone inbalances, our adrenal functions...everything associated with mental dysfunction.

The book includes all the research you have done, and reinforcesour own knowledge. What I found helpful was the questionaires which help identify what chemicals in our brains are low and how to increase them by particular foods and/or supplements. Her results have been phenomenal and she said your mood can improve within 24 hours without antidepressants. She discusses coming off antidepressants with the help of supplements too, which will probably only be needed short term to kick start our healthier brain functions. Read if you can get hold of it in the library.I am excited.

I am feeling great by the way. Off Prozac for 3 weeks and trying to do all the things in the book, even before I read the book, including 5htp, l tyrosine, magnesium etc. which came from my various rexearch. This book though ties it all together for me and gives me guidance based on professional standards and case studies, rather than leaving me to guess and experiment on my own.

Well, not entirely on my own because I have you wonderful support people to share my journey with.

I do feel very hopeful. Please keep on going both of you, you have come so far already. We can do this together!

I have been off prozac 3 weeks and feeling soooo good.

Good luck and keep in touch.

• Posted

I'm so happy to hear your doing well. I have heard about that book and will check it out I also ordered a book last week and it sounds very much the same as the one you mentioned as its all about healing your mind through good diet ect 
    • Posted

I have a good book too about diet and supplements called Optimum Nutrition For the Mind.  I also have another called Good Mood Diet.  I try everything I can.  I will see if I can find the book you have too. 

Have you found that your mood has improved a lot?  Mine is better, but then I get down again.  I find myself in tears at silly little things.  When I was on Effexor my emotions were blunted, but when I came off it, I found things were difficult to deal with and I get tearful.  One good thing is I lost all the weight I put on. 

So pleased you are feeling great.  Wish I could say the same.  I did try 5HTP and St John's Wort, but no help to me.  You give me hope.  I take supplements every day and will add some more, like you suggest.

Take care dear lady, as you are giving me hope, but after 16 months off anti depressants, I think perhaps because I am old it is more difficult for me. 

• Posted

I have been reading about supplments other people are using, and have now ordered some magnesium tablets and see if they help.  Also ordered 5HTP which I tied before, but thought I would give them another try.

I eat lots of yoghurt and have a priobotic drink every day.  My tummy sometimes a bit loose, but other than that the supplements do not have any bad effects.  Better than taking anti depressants. 

• Posted

Hi Anne

Great that you are having another try. I am interested in the books you have read. The Good Mood Diet is by the same author as The Mood Cure I think.  Julia Ross?  I am feeling really positive about my recovery since reading her book and implementing the supplements.  I hope you have great success too. She makes so many sensible suggestions and gives good scientific reasons for those suggestions.  Thats what I need.

cheers 

• Posted

I am so very pleased for you.  I did look up the book on Amazon but have not ordered it yet.  The Good Mood Diet is not by her,  but I am going to read it again and see if it helps me like you are getting encouragement from a book.  I still struggle with depression and anxiety, but it is so much better than it used to be. 

I don't think, at my advanced age, I will ever feel better than I do now, but I long to feel I can cope as best I can. 

• Posted

The book I have about Good Mood Diet is more about losing weight  and feeling better about it.  I lost a lot of weight after stopping Effexor.  All the weight I put on whilst taking it. 

I have looked up Julia Ross's site, and will seriously think about getting her book as it seems to have helped Abella a lot. 

• Posted

I have been on Julia Ross's site and printed off extracts from her mood book, and looked up a lot of the things she mentions.

Started tsaking magnesium yesterday on top of all the other supplements.  Omega3 had really good reports, and I always took that even when on anti depressants.  I am now awaiting delivery of 5HTP.  What do you find helps you most?

• Posted

Hi Anne and Michael

I have been experimenting to find what works best for me and I have been feeling really good the last few days on l tyrosine and 50mg 5htp 1 hour before food at 4 hourly intervals during the day (max 3 times a day). I take magnesium twice a day and b12 once a day. I was on multi vitamins a nd c and d vitamins but my diet has become so good now I can take them or leave them. Mood wise and sleep wise and stress wise the 5htp and magnesium and l tyrosine are my best solutions. Julia gives you some ways to work out a schedule that will work for you, with some ways to tell whether your dosages are right. Its complicated but well worth the effort. Cheers and good luck to you.

• Posted

Oh and omega 3 s every day.
    • Posted

Thanks abella 

I just posted a reply but the moderators won't allow it I'm not happy about that at all but anyway what your doing is the way forward I think and I'm doing the same 

• Posted

Yeah let's beat this son of a bitch bloody depression + anxiety one and for all lol x
    • Posted

Abella how do we know what supplements to take and how much.  I don't know if I should be taking so many as I don't know how they interact with each other.  I don't want to do more harm than good.

I felt really weird last night and could not sleep at all as my brain was rascing, and I wondered if I was taking too many supplements.  I have ordered 5HTP but what should I take it with?  I started magnesium the other day,  and not sure if I should take it, but I see you are doing well on it.   I have also been taking Kalms.

I take multi vitamins and minerals, 1000mg Omega3, VitaminD, vitamin B complex.  I feel so low today because I am so tired.  I thought I was beginning to feel better.  Perhaps it is just lack of sleep. 

I ran off some pages from Julia's website.  You say she suggests right dosage.  Are we all different when it comes to how much and how many supplements we should take.

Her book seems expensive.  I live in UK. 

• Posted

Hi Anne

Maybe your library has it. If they dont ask if they can get it. I do that and they get the books in. They like to respond to requests as they have a budget for new books.

We are all different. If you answer the questionaire on Julias website and give me your total results I will give you her suggested supplements daily plan. She suggests Kalms too though I havent taken that. None of the supplements you are taking are overdosing, but Julia says to introduce one new one at a time and if you get a reaction that you dont like then reduce the dose of that. Too much will bring on the same symptoms you had before you started taking them eg. depression. Stop or reduce if you get depression or anxiety or sleeplessness. Increase if your mood doesnt lift. She says you should notice a lift in mood within 30 minutes of taking a supplement. Some supplements work for some people and some dont. The questionaires on her website indicate what supplements are most likely to work for you. I am happy to tell you what Julia recommends for her clients based on your questionaire scores.

As I say, I have had to experiment a bit but its been worth it. I hope you are feeling a bit better. I am 60. How old are you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.