Long term use of Amlodipine

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hello

i have been using this drug for many years without problems, but recently I have begun to experience side effects which include swelling hands, ankles and calves.

aching legs and feeling very tired most of the time.

i am going to ask my GP if I can come off of this drug, I am interested in other  forum members experience with this perticular drug.

thanks

3 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

We are very interested in forming an action group to raise awareness of the effects of Amlodopine . Is there such a group currently active ?

We feel people need to be informed of the side effects of this life changing medication .Especially in regard to Anxiety and Depression Disorders ( feelings of hopelessness .)

Lucy

• Posted

Hi, Lucy - the side effects have been listed for several decades on the data sheet (PIL) that comes with every pack.  If you have 'problems' you can always report it using the Yellow card scheme (UK) or FCA (USA) - I quote 'The Yellow Card Scheme is vital in helping the MHRA monitor the safety of all healthcare products in the UK to ensure they are acceptably safe for patients and those that use them. Reports can be made for all medicines including vaccines, blood factors and immunoglobulins, herbal medicines and homeopathic remedies, and all medical devices available on the UK market. From the 20th of May 2016, the MHRA is also collecting reports of safety concerns associated with e-cigarette products through the Yellow Card Scheme.' 

What other 'action' are 'we' planning to 'raise awareness' - you can simply ask your GP/MD to prescribe a number of different types/kinds of BP meds. if he/she will not change your script then consult another doctor!  Please don't just stop BP meds - change them!

I will repeat what I have posted many times over the years, it's a small minority of people that have side effects from taking Amlodipine, the vast majority have none, or very minor, and the drug works extremely well.  On a personal note, I have been on Amlodipine for 16 years without side effects, BP around 'normal' - fit, healthy, no strokes or heart attacks - aged nearly 77?

There are not many on this forum who have no problems with Amlodipine for the simple reason that they are 'happy' with taking Amlodipine - because it works for them - QED.

• Posted

I'm very interested to know if you take 5 mg or 10 mg in the cases which we are looking into it was the 10mg dose that caused the problems. v best wishes and thanks for your reply

• Posted

Hi Lucy I have been on this medication 10mg and felt awful. But after reducing to 5mg I am starting to feel much better.  Hope this helps.  
    • Posted

When you say you felt awful what were the symptoms on the 10 mg again many thanks . Most helpful

Lucy

• Posted

Falling asleep. Headache    Dizziness.  Aching limbs.   Blurred vision.   And feeling itchy    .. it wasn't good. But up to now on the 5 mg I'm not to bad.  I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.   Bless you.   Michael 

• Posted

Lucy - I started in 2001 on 5 mg after around 4 years my BP started to rise and my GP prescribed 10 mg.  I remained on 10mg until 2014 at which point I was diagnosed with PMR, an autoimmune disease, and was prescribed Steroids at quite a high dosage.  My BP started to go down and the Amlodipine dose was dropped to 5mg  again when I was reducing my steroids (very slowly) I again had a consistent low BP readings and went down to 2.5mg. 

After 2.5 years of steroids, I reached zero and was in remission from PMR.  Within a month I was back to 5mg of Amlodipine (some 4 months ago) and am still there.  So was at 10mg for about 10 years.  Did some research and was not surprised to discover that being of steroid medication can give some good side effects - and there are many bad side effects!!

• Posted

What side effects did you get on 10mg Amlodopine I wonder huge thanks

Lucy

• Posted

All of the above where on 10mg.  At the moment on 5mg I only feel a bit sleepy nothing else but my go said that would pass. Only hope my BP stays ok. Take care.    
    • Posted

Very best of luck with the 5 mg

We have found that Caffeine pushes up the BPressure hugely !

Cardio exercise has mad a great difference . Avoiding stress key !

Live in the moment and enjoy !

• Posted

None! One thing I have learnt in life is we are all so different. What suits one will not suit another, that the reason why there is no black and white answer when it comes to dealing with drugs/meds. There was a phrase that came up many times when I lived in Yorkshire - 'Nowt as queer as folk'

• Posted

On you caffeine question - I'm in real trouble with that one as I have a Bialetti going all the time and drink endless cups of espresso coffee - very strong!!

• Posted

Concur with the stress factor - this is what caused me the PMR I mentioned in my previous post!  I walk up to 14 miles a day (not running) and I firmly believe it has kept my heart (and body) going.
    • Posted

Be interesting to try decaf ?😱Cutting out caffeine in tea had a radical effect on Blood pressure !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.